« Prev Next »
Women in Science
Moderated by  Laura Hoopes
Posted on: December 16, 2010
  |  
Posted By: Laura Hoopes

Women's Voices Needed

Aa Aa Aa

On December 8, Jennifer Rohn published a commentary in Nature (click here to read) suggesting that women scientists need to speak out. She noted that the people one hears, the pundits of science featured in the news, almost always are men, even among younger scientists where the gender balance is better for women. Rohn went on to comment, "Perhaps this points to a question of confidence - one that does not seem to bother most men. Women may also be uncomfortable with the cut and thrust of conflict and debate. Indeed, at scientific seminars I have attended, most of the questions come from men, despite the audience usually containing an equal number of women. Voicing one's opinion in a public arena is a charged activity that seems to discourage many women, yet this is precisely the skill that a good pundit needs."

I must say that I think most of the questions men ask anticipate points the speaker is going to make or otherwise seem less than insightful and penetrating to me, but visibility is lost when women do not ask the questions. Rohn continues to say that ideas presented by women are often ignored, while the same ideas mentioned later by men are lauded. And she notes that invitations to speak can be sexist, that media can focus on which men (with more credibility) can be tapped for comments. For overcoming the effects of such confidence-sapping events, she suggests practice is the key, "From speaking out at seminars, I found it natural to progress to media work, which, as well as being challenging and enjoyable, hones your powers of analysis and persuasion - skills that are useful for all scientists, regardless of sex." She advocates practicing speaking out first in your home department, then wider venues. I would add that once you are on the list as someone to call, you get more calls from reporters and news gatherers.

To develop a media voice, she suggests, "keep in mind that, to the media and its audience, you don't have to be an eminent professor to have a valuable opinion - any PhD student or postdoc is miles ahead of the public in terms of scientific knowledge. Start a blog about your own research to refine your opinions and develop a style. As you gain more research experience, give your name and telephone number to your institution's press office, and don't shy away if asked."

Why does it matter? You know why, I am sure. Hearing the voice of a woman explaining science is the nerve stimulus a young woman in science somewhere is waiting for, to encourage her to continue pursuing her passion. This is an important way we can help science get more diverse. Also, as Rohn says, "The point of punditry is often to persuade people that science is worthwhile and, more to the point, deserves funding. Also, pundits help to put forward scientific recommendations and counter misinformation. When it comes to controversial issues such as climate change, childhood vaccinations or genetically modified food, we need as many people as possible to hear and engage with our arguments."

cheers,
Laura

What do you think?

A I already make myself available for comments through the public affairs office where I work, and I feel comfortable with this role.

B I have been asked for opinions at times, but I worry that the press will oversimplify my opinions

C Men can afford to look like fools in the press but women cannot

D I am too shy to pursue this plan myself

Comments
10  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

People following this thread, be sure to take a look at the later thread about "discount phrases" that women use as prefaces to their comments. As we try to fulfil out resolves to speak out, let's try not to discount our efforts.
cheers,
Laura

Community

I guess I can go there too. I am going to practice at home, ask one good question of every seminar speaker/sit up front a la Phoebe Leboy. I don't have any national meetings until May either. By then, who knows, I may be happy asking questions!

Community

Okay, I'm on. One a month for the first three months of 2011. And then, Laura, I'm going to come back and let you know how it went. I might go about it in a less than good way, and could get some advice. I like what Phoebe said about making herself ask one good question at a national meeting/sitting up front. But I don't have a meeting now until May, so it will need to be something with local media. Maybe I"ll start by going to talk with our publicity office.

Community

Well, the New Year is coming fast...anyone for a resolution to hear Phoebe and Helen and take at least one step towards more media visibility? I have taking three steps forward towards media contact on my list of resolutions for 2011.
cheers,
Laura

Community

A, more or less. I'm lucky that a wise scientist responded kindly and favorably in the news article where I was misquoted. I thanked him later, and he said he had been misquoted frequently by the press. I'm lucky to have an 'old girls network' with press people both at my home institution and my funding agency.

Community

Thanks, Phoebe! You are a well known speaker and authority on science, especially women in science. Readers, just put her name in a search engine to see some of her many speaking engagements and citations in the media. We're hearing from someone who has really made this work.
cheers,
Laura

Community

After many years of practice, I have made it to A. I started early with a public speaking course in high school, and then pushed myself to ask one good question at each national meeting over many years. Sitting in the front was a must. I finally felt confident talking to reporters. You can protect yourself by not answering questions immediately; instead, ask the interviewer what s/he wants to talk about and to call you back in an hour. Then- write out your important sound bites and stick to them. If they hit you with a question from left field, say you have to think about it. It works, and it's fun.
Phoebe at AWIS

Community

I would love to hear more women's voices explaining science on TV and radio, and in the newspaper. I interviewed Natalie Angier for AWIS Magazine not long ago, and she told me she tries to find a woman she can quote for many of her science stories, once digging so deep for one she ended up quoting an undergraduate woman in the New York Times. I loved hearing that; many of the undergraduates I teach would be able to make enlightening comments if asked.
cheers,
Laura

Community

Sounds scary, Susan P. I am pretty shy myself so I don't see this happening to me. So I pick D this time. I am not shy with people I know or people I supervise, but with strangers, I am very inhibited.

Community

Hi Laura,
I am totally with B. I was once misquoted in the press and now I would think three times before I talked with media. You can get in hot water for saying things that never entered your minds or came out of your mouth. I know guys seem to shoot off their mouths with impunity, but women's comments about science get reviewed with a fine toothed comb. And the media people DO NOT let you review it before it comes out to make sure they got it right.

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback