Women in Science
Moderated by  Laura Hoopes
Posted on: December 14, 2011
  |  
Posted By: Laura Hoopes

Debunking brain differences again

Aa Aa Aa
Dear friends of women in science,

This is the time of year for lists, unless you happen to be David Letterman and do it year round, of course. People like to list the achievements of the year in December. Smithsonian Magazine, though, has chosen to list the top ten myths about the brain. There are a lot of "popular notions" on the list, but my favorite, which we have discussed on the forum several times, is the difference in men's and women's brains. On the Smithsonian Magazine list, this item is number 10. It's entitled Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus, after the popular book from some years ago.
Here is a quotation from the start of their item 10 description: "Some of the sloppiest, shoddiest, most biased, least reproducible, worst designed and most overinterpreted research in the history of science purports to provide biological explanations for differences between men and women. Eminent neuroscientists once claimed that head size, spinal ganglia or brain stem structures were responsible for women's inability to think creatively, vote logically or practice medicine. Today the theories are a bit more sophisticated: men supposedly have more specialized brain hemispheres, women more elaborate emotion circuits." They go on to point out that differences are minor and not correlated with any known ability or emotion, as we've discussed. You probably recall that Rebecca Jordan-Young's book on the evaluation of evidence about such purported differences was my favorite of a strong crop of books on the subject.
I was particularly pleased to see that Smithsonian used stereotype threat as an explanation for test discrepancies that favored women in emotional responses or men in spatial reasoning. They note that in societies that tell kids women don't do as well in math, they don't, while if no such message is sent, girls and boys do similarly. In Iceland, for example, there's little difference while in Italy there is a larger difference. Smithsonian notes ironically that the two countries do not differ in specialization of brain hemispheres. They conclude that women and men have almost entirely overlapping abilities.
Have you run into people who say that women's brains limit them in science recently?
cheers,
Laura
Comments
10  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

Dear Marian,
Yikes! I suspect there are still those who think these things, although maybe they are more embarrassed to say them aloud. What we need is for the cost of saying them to become higher every year. Then maybe none of the young women engineers will encounter the phrases that are so ignorant but also so painful in their dismissal of women's worth.
cheers,
Laura

Community

Hi Helen,
All these school horror stories are very discouraging, but I still think it's important to keep on trying. I'm sure that some of the girls you saw staring into space were thinking! I like to think so, at least.
cheers,
Laura

Community

Laura,

One of my early bosses (a PhD engineer) said to my face that women couldn't do mathematics because they had no spatial perception. As a woman with a PhD in applied math I was more than offended. Worse yet, many of his colleagues agreed with him.

I think most of my teachers, pre-college and even some in college, were less that encouraging to me, suggesting many side paths, e.g., pharmacist, school teacher, etc. "Women just don't do math" was the common theme.

Marian

Community

Yup. It's insidious. I taught hands-on science in grades 1-6 part time at my kids' school for much of a decade, and all the classes seemed to have more boys than girls, tho that's statistically absurd. My kids exemplified it, too - when I asked a 4th grade class what work was, my son, to my amazement, answered that it was force times distance. My daughter, on the other hand, tended to look bored. The sex difference was most dramatic among the Mexican kids, where the boys cooperated amazingly with their batteries and bulbs, while the girls tended to think science had nothing to do with them.
The stereotypes were pervasive. My daughter used to get annoyed with me when I'd help her practice spelling, using the sentences she was given - I was always commenting on how the girls did passive stuff like combing their hair, while the boys did exciting things.

Community

To your point Laura, this type of information is included in special education instruction. But because there is little specific training for math or science teachers beyond general teaching training, they don't hear it. Even if they have a math or science background they are unlikely to hear it in their college classes because it's something "everyone knows" and doesn't get discussed.

So yes, it would certainly help if the NSTA and math teachers' association would make an effort to educate their members.

As for teachers not having the time to read anything that actually pertains to their job...that's why my kids will go to private school where I have more say in how their time is spent and how class size is controlled. I have no desire to fight apathy and sloth in the public school system. There are fantastic public school teachers which I've been fortunate enough to experience. But sadly you get more bad than good these days.

Community

Thanks, Livi and Elinor, and thanks Christianne and Ilona for the resources for informing these teachers that they need to rethink their positions. It's disheartening that they do this, but I've also heard about inspiring teachers elsewhere. I'm wondering if there needs to be a national push for including this information in teacher training?
cheers,
Laura

Community

Thanks, Laura!
These teachers need to hear from us, and reliable sources that actually document how WRONG this idea is.
It's up to us to do as much debunking as we can about this alarming misunderstanding about women's intellectual capabilities! Regarding math ability--the myth about those "differences" has finally been put to bed. Announced this week, the Mertz and Kane study is the most definitive and comprehensive debunk of this common misconception (translate: ka-pow, they nailed it).

Go here for the BEST SYNOPSIS of this study (with context) that I have seen so far:
"There is no difference"
http://io9.com/5867401/there-really-is-no-difference-between-men-and-womens-math-abilities

And go here for the actual source, the Mertz and Kane publication/pdf at the American Mathematical Society (AMS)
http://www.ams.org/staff/jackson/fea-mertz.pdf

Community

Wow! I'm dismayed to read Elinor and Livi's comments. My kids are still too young to be in school, so I haven't run into this kind of barrier from teachers. It's very upsetting to hear that some teachers still believe and feel free to express to parents these stereotypical views about girls and science/math. It sounds like we still have lots of work to do to dispel those myths.

Christi

Community

Hi Laura,

I wanted to start a club for girls interested in science at my daughter's school, but the principal told me girls are not good at science and said I'd have to take both boys and girls. I said never mind. It makes me so mad that they just won't look at the evidence.

Community

My daughter's seventh grade science teacher told me that girls are not as good at math in our conference. I told her I would give her some papers showing she was wrong, but she said no thanks. She doesn't have time to read them. Ugh. LM

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback