« Prev Next »
Women in Science
Moderated by  Laura Hoopes
Posted on: October 21, 2010
  |  
Posted By: Laura Hoopes

Retailation on partner of woman engineer

Aa Aa Aa

Association for Women in Science (AWIS) along with the National Women's Law Center recently filed a Supreme Court amicus brief to support a woman engineer whose fiance was fired apparently to retaliate against her.  He tried to get relief from the courts based on his excellent record with the company and her complaint, but it was ruled that he had no status since he didn't file the complaint against the company. 

I quote from AWIS's web site: "Miriam Regalado was one of only a few female engineers at a stainless steel manufacturing plant in Kentucky, North American Stainless (NAS). She filed sex discrimination charges just two years after the commencement of her employment, because of unfair and disrespectful treatment by peer managers and her employees. Less than one month after NAS received the charges, Regalado's fiancé Eric Thompson (who also worked at the company) was informed that he had been terminated. After seven years of working at NAS and having consistently received favorable evaluations and raises, it was clear that he had been fired solely on the basis of his fiancé's actions, which were protected under Title VII so the company could not retaliate against her."  You can read more at the AWIS site by clicking here.

What do you think about this new tactic?  Have you seen any evidence that those associated with women who speak out against injustice are treated badly by administrators/management?

cheers,
Laura

Comments
10  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

Hi Postdoc cat,
Let me see if I can find out a place where contributions could be made. I will post on this thread if I can.
cheers,
Laura

Community

The more I think about this case, the madder I get. Is there some place people can go to contribute towards the legal expenses of the husband? Can we do that through AWIS?

Community

Hi SciFemXX,
Yes, but the white male husband of a picked on female, don't forget that part! I know, the ironies pile up. If you can laugh, maybe you won't have to cry.
cheers,
Laura

Community

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. We're all bemoaning the firing of (I presume) a white male. But of course, she probably won't want to stay either and that's the whole strategy. I get it, I'm just saying it's kinda ironic.

Community

I am really glad to hear that AWIS still does some things with the courts. It was inspiring earlier to hear about Sonia Fuentes' explanation of how AWIS filed suit early in its existence to get more women on NIH study sections. I am sure I benefitted from this lawsuit. And this cause is really worthwhile. What a scumbag employer to do that!

Community

This case just makes me so mad. I really hope that a definitive answer comes from the courts, or if not, from Congress. This strategy of indirect retaliation, as you call it Laura, really stinks. Now that nepotism has broken down and women and their significant others often work in the same place, the strategy by employers is a great danger to women if it succeeds legally. Go AWIS!

Community

Hi Helen,
Now that you mention it, I've seen spousal support suddenly disappear too. Another form of indirect retaliation, cousin to the one in this law case. I really feel for women who work in a male squared industrial setting. I was an intern in one at the company where my dad worked one summer during high school and it was a mixture. Some of the guys were happy to show me the ropes, and generally supportive. Some were hanging out trying to grab me as I went by. Some were just trying to help me fail, saw it as the inevitable result to be expected. By the end of the summer, I knew that if possible, I never wanted to be the only woman worker anywhere. I had turned down a job in the tech library to work in the pilot plant so I could learn some chemistry. Hahaha! I didn't. But some reality, that I did get.
cheers,
Lauraz

Community

Hopefully AWIS can make this case in the courts as it is obviously an effective way to bypass discrimation protection. It's unfortunate that people still take such complaints so personally that they feel the need to "punish" the claimant. I have seen something similar happen in academe though when the spouse is in a soft money position. Suddenly space and resources are removed...and the couple has little choice but to leave the institution. It's an effective way to get rid of someone without actually having to ask him/her to leave.

Community

Wow, I never thought this could happen. So she still works there but they fired her fiance? How crumby is that? I hope AWIS convinces the courts that's not OK. Otherwise, any couple who both work at the same place are at risk.

Community

I never heard about this type of behavior in academia. It sounds like this industry has very few women in general and I hope that AWIS is able to awaken them to their bad behavior. FBP

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback