« Prev Next »
Women in Science
Moderated by  Laura Hoopes
Posted on: March 2, 2011
  |  
Posted By: Laura Hoopes

Joan Herbers Unfolds AWIS for the Forum Participants

Aa Aa Aa

Joan M. Herbers currently serves as President of the Association for Women in Science. She is a Professor of Evolution, Ecology & Organismal Biology at The Ohio State University, where she directs their program titled Comprehensive Equity at Ohio State, funded by an NSF ADVANCE grant.

The Association for Women in Science (AWIS) is a national advocacy organization that represents women in the science, technology, engineering, and mathematics disciplines (STEM). AWIS is based in Washington DC and has more than 50 chapters around the country. Our members span all STEM disciplines from astronomy to zoology and all work sectors, including education, government, industry, non-profits, and the self-employed.

In Washington, AWIS works to inform policymakers about issues concerning workforce development and equity (such as the Paycheck Fairness Act); these efforts are enhanced and leveraged through partnership with other organizations. AWIS also actively seeks out funding opportunities to support its mission; at present we have an NSF grant to work with professional societies on their awards programs, as well as funds from the Elsevier Foundation to provide training on work-life balance. Our chapters broaden AWIS' reach by working with local K-12 schools, providing professional development and networking opportunities, and organizing programs, often in collaboration with other local organizations.

The AWIS Board has recently adopted a strategic plan that has three major goals: 1) advocate for positive system transformation; 2) help all women in STEM achieve success; and 3) maximize our impact by optimizing organizational capacity. Details of the plan can be found on our website, awis.org

AWIS is celebrating its 40th anniversary this year, and is organizing numerous activities to celebrate our four decades of activism for women in STEM. Please join us!

Note: Several of you asked for more information about AWIS. If you have questions for Joan Herbers, please ask in the comments section below. LH

Comments
12  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

Buy Passport,Driver License,Age & ID Card,Visa: Website: https://realfakedocky.wordpress.com/

Buy high quality Real Passports, Visas, Driver's License ,ID CARDS, Marriage certificates, Diplomas, Birth Certificates, Credit cards, Utility bills, Social Security cards, Resident permits, Death certificates, Seaman cards, e.t.c

We are a team of highly experienced and sophisticated IT professionals with many years of experience in producing high quality documents of all categories.

We offer original high quality real and not real passports, driver driving, ID cards, stamps, birth certificates, diplomas, e.t.c for almost all countries in the world mostly countries like: US, AustrAalia, Belgium, Brazil, Norway, Canada, Italy, Finland, France, Germany, Israel, Mexico, Netherlands, South Africa, Spain, United Kingdom, e.t.c

This list is not complete.

For additional information and to place your order, just contact us by email, skype or phone.

email: (genuinedockies201@gmail.com)

whatsapp ....+237670725929

Skype Id: lugert2

Web Site: https://realfakedocky.wordpress.com/

Do not hesitate to contact us by email or call at any time and in any
discretion.

TOPICS:

BUY REAL AND Not-Real PASSPORTS:

Buy real and Not-Real USA passports
Buy real and Not-Real Australian passports
Buy real and Not-Real Belgian passports
Buy real and Not-Real Brazilian passports
Buy real and Not-Real Canadian passports
Buy real and not real French passports
Buy real and not real New Zealand passports
Buy real and not real German passports
Buy real and not real Dutch (Netherlands) passports
Buy real and not real Israeli passports
Buy real and not real UK (United Kingdom) passports
Buy real and not real Spanish passports
Buy real and not real Mexican passports
Buy real and not real South African passports
Buy real and not real Swiss (Switzerland) passports
Buy real and not real Chinese passports
Buy real and not real Austrian passports
Buy real and not real Japanese passports
Buy real and not real Ukrainian passports
Buy real and not real Cambodian passports
Buy real and not real Romanian passports
Buy real and not real Polish passports
Buy real and not real Bulgarian passports
Buy real and not real Moroccan passports
Buy real and not real Cyprus passports
Buy real and not real Norwegian passports
Buy real and not real Portuguese passports
Buy real and not real Lithuanian passports
Buy real and not real Russian passports
Buy real and not real Hungarian passports
Buy real and not real Brazilian passports
Buy real and not real Italian passports
Buy real and not real Jamaican passports
Buy real and not real South Korean passport
Buy real and not real Croatian passports
Buy real and not real Danish passports
Buy real and not real Malta passports
Buy real and not real Swedish passports

BUY REAL AND Not Real DRIVING LICENCE

Buy real and not real USA driver's license
Buy real and not real New Zealand driver's license
Buy real and not real German driver's license
Buy real and not real Dutch (Netherlands) driver's license
Buy real and not real Israeli driver's license
Buy real and not real UK (United Kingdom) driver's license
Buy real and not real Spanish driver's license
Buy real and not real Mexican driver's license
Buy real and not real South African driver's license
Buy real and not real Swiss (Switzerland) driver's license
Buy real and not real Chinese driver's license
Buy real and not real Austrian driver's license
Buy real and not real Japanese driver's license
Buy real and not real Ukrainian driver's license
Buy real and not real Cambodian driver's license
Buy real and not real Romanian driver's license
Buy real and not real Polish driver's license
Buy real and not real Bulgarian driver's license
Buy real and not real Moroccan driver's license
Buy real and not real Cyprus driver's license
Buy real and not real Norwegian driver's license
Buy real and not real Portuguese driver's license
Buy real and not real Lithuanian driver's license
Buy real and not real Russian driver's license
Buy real and not real Hungarian driver's license
Buy real and not real Brazilian driver's license
Buy real and not real Italian driver's license
Buy real and not real Jamaican driver's license
Buy real and not real South Korean driver's license
Buy real and not real Croatian driver's license
Buy real and not real Danish driver's license
Buy real and not real Malta driver's license
Buy real and not real Swedish driver's license

email: (genuinedockies201@gmail.com)

whatsapp ....+237670725929

Skype Id: lugert2

https://realfakedocky.wordpress.com/

Do not hesitate to contact us by email or call at any time and in any
discretion.

Community

In response to your questions about advocacy and equal pay, the short answer is -- Yes!

The way advocacy works best on the organizational level is through partnerships and coalitions. The two coalitions we work with on equal pay issues are the National Coalition for Pay Equity (NCPE) and the Paycheck Fairness Act Coalition...which is not the official name (because it doesn't have one) but it is a group of civil rights, legal, and women's organizations that come together and develop strategy for working with policy makers and making equal pay for equal work a reality. Stay tuned to the AWIS in Action! Advocacy and Public Policy Newsletter for updates about activities for Equal Pay Day -- April 12th! (You can sign up for the newsletter by going to our website http://www.awis.org, or sending me an email at popejoy@awis.org)

In regards to the International Year of Chemistry, our Executive Director Janet Bandows Koster spoke on a panel for "Future We Create" -- The Future of Women in Chemistry and Science virtual conference and we actively support all scientists, celebrating chemistry this year in particular in conjunction with UNESCO.

If you would like to get more involved in our advocacy initiatives, become a member, or join our social media task force, please visit our website at http://www.awis.org, follow us on Twitter @AWISnational, or feel free to send us an email at any time.

Community

Joan has summed up most of what I can say of AWIS. I am still in college and find the range of information they provide very useful. For me, the AWIS has had more of a mentor feel than feminist. The AWIS newsletters have not only focused on academia, but also include research, work/life balance, industry news, etc. As an example, one of the February newsletters covered topics such as DuPont’s soybean program, an article regarding Obama’s Race to the Top initiative, information on mentoring, Chapter news and events, and so much more. The AWIS has been a great place for STEM news and support as I continue my education.

Community

Dr. Herbers - I recently read that AWIS helped "celebrate" UNESCO's International Year of Chemistry by participating in a novel event highlighting women in chemistry. Can you tell us a bit more about this event?

Community

Hi Joan,
I think it's great that so many people are getting down to what my generation used to call the nitty gritty. But do you have any more global issues you and your board are working on, especially if you need people to help with them? Speakers bureau? Action group on legislation? Is AWIS working with AAUP on this Equal Pay OpEd blizzard?
cheers,
Laura Hoopes

Community

I think AWIS works with other organizations on issues like equal pay for equal work. Can you tell us how AWIS coordinates its positions and lobbying with AAUW and other groups? MKS

Community

I think AWIS has been great for undergrad students too, and they can get good chances to network with women in academia, industry, and other options through AWIS chapters. Is there a special dues rate for students?

Community

I am delighted with the interest displayed in the comments. Every member receives our award-winning AWIS Magazine, which is published 4 times per year. In addition, every member receives the electronic Washington Wire bi-monthly; finally, every member also receives the AWIS Action Alert monthly. These three publications cover the gamut of what we do as an organization.

AWIS has its roots in academic biomedical sciences. Over its history, we have consciously sought to diversify our membership to include other disciplines and other work sectors. Today, our membership is highly diverse, and includes quite a few men.

The questions about age profile allow me to highlight how much AWIS appeals to young women in STEM. Many chapters are affiliated with institutions that have students and postdocs (e.g. universities, national labs); at our recent summit in Washington DC, most of the chapters were represented by members under 40. For more information on a chapter near to you, please go to awis.org and click on the chapter link. There you will find links to each of our chapters and can get a feel for what they do.

Community

Do you have some kind of newsletter or magazine for AWIS? How do members keep up with news for women in STEM fields? Is there a big emphasis on academia?

Community

Does AWIS welcome support from men, or is it only for women? Are any men employed at AWIS? How big a staff does it have for the national office?

Community

AWIS is becoming more visible, but I think it still struggles with a sort of feminist message that some women in science do not find comfortable. I wonder if more women in the new generation (grad students and postdocs) find AWIS a good fit compared with older women. Do you have an age profile of the organization?

Community

Can you describe more about what an individual chapter might do? I like the overall goals, but I don't have a feeling for the ongoing activities.

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback