« Prev Next »
Women in Science
Moderated by  Laura Hoopes
Posted on: September 4, 2010
  |  
Posted By: Laura Hoopes

Audio Conference on Women in Science at PUIs

Aa Aa Aa

Nancy Hamlett suggested that I post about this upcoming audio conference, and I encourage you to "attend" virtually. For those from other contexts, PUIs are Predominantly Undergraduate Universities/colleges  in NSF's parlance.

The AAC&U regularly offers audio conferences on topics of interest to faculty and administrators. An upcoming conference features HMC Chair of the Faculty, Kerry Karukstis, talking about Options for Women in Science and is described below:

On Tuesday, September 28, at 1 p.m. Eastern, Inside Higher Ed presents, "More Options for Women in Science," an audio conference with Kerry K. Karukstis, a professor of chemistry at Harvey Mudd College and an organizer of a recent summit meeting of senior women professors in chemistry and physics from PUIs. Professor Karukstis will discuss the practices, infrastructure, and campus climate needed to enhance the professional careers, visibility, and leadership of women science faculty at PUIs, including the importance of professional development for faculty members at all career stages; the ways that individuals, institutions, and professional societies can promote the professional development of female faculty members in the sciences at PUIs; and the use of "horizontal mentoring" to support women in science.

Tell me if such postings are useful to you.

A.  Yes, I like to know about them.

B. I may not always be able to participate, but it's nice to hear just in case.

C. Never mind, I have too much on my plate as it is. 

Comments
6  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

I have an idea: If someone does feel good about getting admin support to view this presentation, would you come back to this site and post a couple of interesting insights from it?
cheers,
Laura

Community

Maybe, Laura, but in these days of tight budgets, it's hard for me to argue that this audio conference is worth as much as another pipetman for my lab.

Community

I'm sorry, aghast, I had no idea it cost so much! Perhaps your admin would have money for it if you're really interested?
cheers,
Laura

Community

Laura, have you seen how much this audioconference costs? What is Inside Higher Ed thinking, don't they know about salary freezes and cutbacks? Geez!

Community

C, I'm sad to say. I don't have time to think most of the time, and these audioconferences or teleconferences seem to think they must fill 30 minutes to an hour. I could perhaps spare 10-15 minutes.

Community

B. Even if I can't do it, it's nice to hear people are paying attention to these issues, I think.

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback