« Prev Next »
Women in Science
Moderated by  Laura Hoopes
Posted on: December 1, 2010
  |  
Posted By: Laura Hoopes

Negotiating Secrets of Women CEOs

Aa Aa Aa
The November 23 newsletter issue of Daily Worth (DailyWorth.com), an ongoing effort to support women's budding financial skills, covered a new book by Lee E. Miller and Jessica Miller, a father/daughter team who interviewed women CEOs to glean secrets for successful negotiation by women. Their book, published by McGraw Hill, is called A Woman's Guide to Successful Negotiating (http://www.amazon.com/Womans-Guide-Successful-Negotiating-Collaborate/dp/0071389156 ).

Daily Worth highlighted three tips:
1. Negotiate for someone else. Use that caretaker instinct to make sure your esteemed friend (yourself, but imagine it's not) gets what she deserves.
2. Beware the empathy trap. Empathy can help you understand the other side so you can go for the vaunted win-win situation. But don't assume your goal (higher salary, more important assignments) is less important than what your boss wants (lower overhead, cooperative employees).
3. Know your BATNA, or "best alternative to a negotiated agreement" before you go in to negotiate. You really want to be promoted to job A, and you don't want less than salary Q. But if your boss cannot agree to those goals for you, you might settle for job B, with great prospects to impress the upper management. If you know this alternative up front, but really prefer job A, it will spur you on to keep arguing for the best option for you, but will prepare you in case it just cannot be achieved at present.

I think these ideas could be helpful to women in science as they think about asking for raises, corner offices, more lab space and resources from those higher up.

cheers,
Laura

What do you think?
A I would rather swim with a tank of hungry sharks than ask for a raise or negotiate for something similar. I even have trouble haggling in bazaars when everyone is expected to do it.

B. I've always assumed if I do a good job, people above me will see that and reward me appropriately, although I am very careful to "put it all down" in my annual reports

C. I can negotiate, and I've had some success, but I don't think it will ever feel comfortable.

D. I'm a goal setter, and I don't hesitate to ask for what I think will make my career progress.

Comments
10  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

C. I went to a workshop where we used the 'pretend you're negotiating for a friend," method, practiced it on each other. For sure, saying it to someone else made it easier in reality. Still, I am not totally comfortable with negotiation.

Community

Hi Postdoc Cat,
I think some supervisors ARE into their postdocs' success but you need to remind others, maybe a majority of them. So, if you do a lot of talking to current postdocs when you choose a lab, you might be able to avoid choosing one where negotiation is required. On the other hand, it might turn out to be a valuable skill for the future. At some point, you're almost sure to work for someone who will only respond to negotiation.
cheers,
Laura

Community

I've been to a workshop on this, but my natural instinct is to go with B. Let them notice I'm good. What I think I'm hearing is they won't unless you go and negotiate. That's depressing, but I guess not really surprising. Everyone is focused on his own career and not really all that into those of the postdocs or junior faculty nearby.

Community

A, although I hate to admit it. Lucky you have anonymous posting for this one. I get cold chills just thinking about negotiating for anything. I admire women in other countries who go to souks every day and dicker for their basic necessities. I would starve. I might consider going to a workshop on how to do it, especially if it was hands on (practice out loud...I'd hate it but it might work!)

Community

I'm glad to see Helen out there with a strong D, and for all the women in her group too. That's terrific and shows a good mentor can help women over this hurdle. I know AWIS does offer sessions on negotiation, and hope they or some other organization will be available for those who want to work on this important skill.
cheers,
Laura

Community

B for me, sadly. I wish I could say I've moved up to C or D, but no. And where I am, there are no seminar on site for negotiation. I"m keeping my eyes open for one through AWIS or another organization that I can take.

Community

Not body language this time Mad Hatter, just language. I agree classes that use role playing would work well in academia. I would add the caveat that when I tried to do this through a mentoring program during my postdoc, many of the women became perturbed at the idea that the person on the other side of the table is assumed to be "unfair". We must have spent 20 minutes explaining that we're not talking about bad intention/bad faith. It's just that as a manager you want the best deal possible, and if someone thinks they're worth less and will accept less, then so much the better for your bottom line...as you can tell my answer is D. for me and my direct reports.

Community

Whew, I was afraid you were back on body language again. This one makes some sense to me. In industry, there are good seminars where employees who aren't comfortable with negotiation can learn how to do it. I think academia should have them too.

Community

Oh, A. I hate to do this, will choose to get the tangles out of someone's hair or polish the kitchen floor before I go in to ask for more. Why can't they just see I deserve it and give it to me? In case I haven't made it clear, I hate to negotiate. Would a workshop help? I don't think I could make myself go to one.

Community

C is where I am in the scale. I try, I make myself negotiate. I almost think it might be worth going to one of these business workshops where you practice the skill, or I never may make it to D. FBP

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback