« Prev Next »
Women in Science
Moderated by  Laura Hoopes
Posted on: March 7, 2011
  |  
Posted By: Laura Hoopes

International Issues for Women in Science on UN agenda

Aa Aa Aa

In late February, the UN formed a new unit by combining several parts dealing with women's issues into one called UN Women. Michelle Bachelet, former leader of Chile, is the executive director of this new and newly empowered group. In addition, the UN held its Commission on the Status of Women's 55th session in New York, and its focus was on "Access and participation of women and girls in education, training, science and technology, including for the promotion of women's equal access to full employment and decent work" --a theme that surely must resonate with us. You can download a report on this conference here to see more about their plans to address this important issue.

Five special emphases are:

1. Realizing that just saying education for girls and women is not enough, groups must take on new teacher training, improving school conditions, and revising curricula.

2. Combatting gender stereotypes, including sensitivity training for teachers including those in kindergarten and exposing both boys and girls to women engineer, men kindergarten teachers, and others with non-traditional roles.

3. Equal access to employment opportunities after school is completed.

4. Science and technology insufficiently responds to the needs and interests of women and must change.

5. Women must be encouraged to pursue Information and communications technology opportunities to reshape the history of this field.

How much do you know about access of women in other countries to science and technology careers?

Comments
13  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

Buy Passport,Driver License,Age & ID Card,Visa: Website: https://realfakedocky.wordpress.com/

Buy high quality Real Passports, Visas, Driver's License ,ID CARDS, Marriage certificates, Diplomas, Birth Certificates, Credit cards, Utility bills, Social Security cards, Resident permits, Death certificates, Seaman cards, e.t.c

We are a team of highly experienced and sophisticated IT professionals with many years of experience in producing high quality documents of all categories.

We offer original high quality real and not real passports, driver driving, ID cards, stamps, birth certificates, diplomas, e.t.c for almost all countries in the world mostly countries like: US, AustrAalia, Belgium, Brazil, Norway, Canada, Italy, Finland, France, Germany, Israel, Mexico, Netherlands, South Africa, Spain, United Kingdom, e.t.c

This list is not complete.

For additional information and to place your order, just contact us by email, skype or phone.

email: (genuinedockies201@gmail.com)

whatsapp ....+237670725929

Skype Id: lugert2

Web Site: https://realfakedocky.wordpress.com/

Do not hesitate to contact us by email or call at any time and in any
discretion.

TOPICS:

BUY REAL AND Not-Real PASSPORTS:

Buy real and Not-Real USA passports
Buy real and Not-Real Australian passports
Buy real and Not-Real Belgian passports
Buy real and Not-Real Brazilian passports
Buy real and Not-Real Canadian passports
Buy real and not real French passports
Buy real and not real New Zealand passports
Buy real and not real German passports
Buy real and not real Dutch (Netherlands) passports
Buy real and not real Israeli passports
Buy real and not real UK (United Kingdom) passports
Buy real and not real Spanish passports
Buy real and not real Mexican passports
Buy real and not real South African passports
Buy real and not real Swiss (Switzerland) passports
Buy real and not real Chinese passports
Buy real and not real Austrian passports
Buy real and not real Japanese passports
Buy real and not real Ukrainian passports
Buy real and not real Cambodian passports
Buy real and not real Romanian passports
Buy real and not real Polish passports
Buy real and not real Bulgarian passports
Buy real and not real Moroccan passports
Buy real and not real Cyprus passports
Buy real and not real Norwegian passports
Buy real and not real Portuguese passports
Buy real and not real Lithuanian passports
Buy real and not real Russian passports
Buy real and not real Hungarian passports
Buy real and not real Brazilian passports
Buy real and not real Italian passports
Buy real and not real Jamaican passports
Buy real and not real South Korean passport
Buy real and not real Croatian passports
Buy real and not real Danish passports
Buy real and not real Malta passports
Buy real and not real Swedish passports

BUY REAL AND Not Real DRIVING LICENCE

Buy real and not real USA driver's license
Buy real and not real New Zealand driver's license
Buy real and not real German driver's license
Buy real and not real Dutch (Netherlands) driver's license
Buy real and not real Israeli driver's license
Buy real and not real UK (United Kingdom) driver's license
Buy real and not real Spanish driver's license
Buy real and not real Mexican driver's license
Buy real and not real South African driver's license
Buy real and not real Swiss (Switzerland) driver's license
Buy real and not real Chinese driver's license
Buy real and not real Austrian driver's license
Buy real and not real Japanese driver's license
Buy real and not real Ukrainian driver's license
Buy real and not real Cambodian driver's license
Buy real and not real Romanian driver's license
Buy real and not real Polish driver's license
Buy real and not real Bulgarian driver's license
Buy real and not real Moroccan driver's license
Buy real and not real Cyprus driver's license
Buy real and not real Norwegian driver's license
Buy real and not real Portuguese driver's license
Buy real and not real Lithuanian driver's license
Buy real and not real Russian driver's license
Buy real and not real Hungarian driver's license
Buy real and not real Brazilian driver's license
Buy real and not real Italian driver's license
Buy real and not real Jamaican driver's license
Buy real and not real South Korean driver's license
Buy real and not real Croatian driver's license
Buy real and not real Danish driver's license
Buy real and not real Malta driver's license
Buy real and not real Swedish driver's license

email: (genuinedockies201@gmail.com)

whatsapp ....+237670725929

Skype Id: lugert2

https://realfakedocky.wordpress.com/

Do not hesitate to contact us by email or call at any time and in any
discretion.

Community

But still, even though you can point to Finland, it's a highly developed country. The needs of women who are interested in science in third world countries are not being met at all. It's not about the scissors curve, it's about basic public school for girls that takes them beyond sixth grade. I'm so glad to hear the UN has this problem in mind. I just hope they think about more than just Europe and the US.

Community

Hi Kate,
Yes, I was very impressed with Finland's success when I studied the situation across Europe to write an article for AWIS Magazine a while back. It seems that the whole society has made a huge effort to open up to women's success, and the great, cheap childcare is one of the investments they made to reach for the goal.
cheers,
Laura

Community

Finland is very impressive; the European women in science have been collecting data for over 10 years and they are maintaining their strong showing for women in academia. There are lots of efforts from individual countries' science foundations and the European Science Foundation to improve the lot of European women in science. They have governments and universities on board and are creating new positions, becoming more flexible about career paths, and taking other measures. But child care is still a problem. Cristianne Nusslein Vollhard gave most of her Nobel Prize money to start up daycare and housework support for young women in Germany pursuing science.

Community

I can't say I agree completely with Ceci and Williams' analysis in their latest paper or book, but I do think that child-related issues deserve a lot more emphasis than academia has given them. So I'm not surprised that if Finland has approached equality, they really do childcare right. MKS

Community

Hi friends,
I put Finland in the poll because it's the country in Europe that has the least 'scissor curve' career path. That is, even for full professors, there are almost equal men and women. The discrepancy doesn't increase the higher up you get the way it does in most of Europe. I've interviewed people from there and heard that all of the society is working on this issue, not just the science people. And they have great inexpensive daycare everywhere.
cheers,
Laura

Community

I am encouraged by the discussion of Malasian computer science on this site to hope there might be more countries where women get a boost in this field, even for the wrong reasons. I know that Rosy the Rivetter didn't last when the troops came home from WWII but I think a great crop of CS women from around the world would be a game changer! I love the UN's emphasis on more educational resources for women in general, so they can choose their own roads.

Community

I think the problems in this area are more about empowering women to go into science and stay in their own countries, to be autocatalytic of producing more women in science there, not so much about coming here. But the visa problems are indeed annoying and artificial barriers to international science endeavors. If you want to do an exchange with microbiologists from Kenya, beware the visa demon!

Community

The visa problems are very bad these days too, so it's not just whether they can get to the US but whether they can stay. The INS is sending people out in mid experiment and making them wait inordinate times to re-enter. They don't seem to realize how international science is, nor do they get how disruptive all this popcorn effect, here today and gone tomorrow, can be in a lab with a lot of interdependent projects.

Community

I mainly hear about these conditions from my students studying in the USA, meaning they are the outstanding success stories from their countries. I'd really like to understand more about what is going on behind the scenes and how it is for the average women interested in science in third world countries.

Community

That post is very interesting, Robin. I hope others will drop by and read it. Cheers,
Laura

Community

You all might be interested in my blog post today on InsideEd regarding South Africa encouraging women in science and technology. http://bit.ly/eFRUJz

Community

I hope you're going to post something to give us more insight. I've noticed a few comments lately that point to our ignorance about this important topic. I love hearing that the UN is putting women in science so high on their agenda.

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback