Women in Science
Moderated by  Laura Hoopes
Posted on: May 6, 2011
  |  
Posted By: Laura Hoopes

Woman Chemist Speaks at ACS

Aa Aa Aa

Hi friends of women in science,
Susan Forsburg alerted me to this video of a talk by Anna Krylov, a theoretical chemist from USSR, now on the faculty at University of Southern California, at the American Chemical Society meeting. You can see it here: (http://www.softconference.com/ACSchem/player.asp?PVQ=HGFE&fVQ=FIDDHE&hVQ/ backup if link is broken). I highly recommend this talk, which traces her life in science from before she left the USSR, through her PhD in Israel, to her life in the US. One of the saddest parts was a collection of pictures of gathered scientists with one or perhaps two women present among the men. The most recent of these showed a New Years Eve gathering in 1960, where the woman was Maria Goeppert-Mayer, Nobel Laureate in Physics. A close second for saddest part was the anecdote she told about a Russian man who, finding out she was professor of chemistry, said it was much harder to become a professor in Russia and it must be easy there since she was one.

Krylov emphasized the way that bias has often been documented so that people can point to the studies and say, "This shows there really is unconscious bias." Because, as she says, scientists vehemently deny that they have any bias. It's not in the forefront of the mind, but in the hidden assumptions that this bias lives, but social scientist have performed studies to bring it to light.

Also, she says it's terribly important for women to speak up. The example she gave of that was a conference that was planned without women speakers in theoretical chemistry. She was able to give the organizers a list of 90 at all career stages that they could consider. So we need to have both data and courage to speak up, but if we do, things can change. Evidently, that conference does not only invite men any longer.

Comments
12  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

Buy Passport,Driver License,Age & ID Card,Visa: Website: https://realfakedocky.wordpress.com/

Buy high quality Real Passports, Visas, Driver's License ,ID CARDS, Marriage certificates, Diplomas, Birth Certificates, Credit cards, Utility bills, Social Security cards, Resident permits, Death certificates, Seaman cards, e.t.c

We are a team of highly experienced and sophisticated IT professionals with many years of experience in producing high quality documents of all categories.

We offer original high quality real and not real passports, driver driving, ID cards, stamps, birth certificates, diplomas, e.t.c for almost all countries in the world mostly countries like: US, AustrAalia, Belgium, Brazil, Norway, Canada, Italy, Finland, France, Germany, Israel, Mexico, Netherlands, South Africa, Spain, United Kingdom, e.t.c

This list is not complete.

For additional information and to place your order, just contact us by email, skype or phone.

email: (genuinedockies201@gmail.com)

whatsapp ....+237670725929

Skype Id: lugert2

Web Site: https://realfakedocky.wordpress.com/

Do not hesitate to contact us by email or call at any time and in any
discretion.

TOPICS:

BUY REAL AND Not-Real PASSPORTS:

Buy real and Not-Real USA passports
Buy real and Not-Real Australian passports
Buy real and Not-Real Belgian passports
Buy real and Not-Real Brazilian passports
Buy real and Not-Real Canadian passports
Buy real and not real French passports
Buy real and not real New Zealand passports
Buy real and not real German passports
Buy real and not real Dutch (Netherlands) passports
Buy real and not real Israeli passports
Buy real and not real UK (United Kingdom) passports
Buy real and not real Spanish passports
Buy real and not real Mexican passports
Buy real and not real South African passports
Buy real and not real Swiss (Switzerland) passports
Buy real and not real Chinese passports
Buy real and not real Austrian passports
Buy real and not real Japanese passports
Buy real and not real Ukrainian passports
Buy real and not real Cambodian passports
Buy real and not real Romanian passports
Buy real and not real Polish passports
Buy real and not real Bulgarian passports
Buy real and not real Moroccan passports
Buy real and not real Cyprus passports
Buy real and not real Norwegian passports
Buy real and not real Portuguese passports
Buy real and not real Lithuanian passports
Buy real and not real Russian passports
Buy real and not real Hungarian passports
Buy real and not real Brazilian passports
Buy real and not real Italian passports
Buy real and not real Jamaican passports
Buy real and not real South Korean passport
Buy real and not real Croatian passports
Buy real and not real Danish passports
Buy real and not real Malta passports
Buy real and not real Swedish passports

BUY REAL AND Not Real DRIVING LICENCE

Buy real and not real USA driver's license
Buy real and not real New Zealand driver's license
Buy real and not real German driver's license
Buy real and not real Dutch (Netherlands) driver's license
Buy real and not real Israeli driver's license
Buy real and not real UK (United Kingdom) driver's license
Buy real and not real Spanish driver's license
Buy real and not real Mexican driver's license
Buy real and not real South African driver's license
Buy real and not real Swiss (Switzerland) driver's license
Buy real and not real Chinese driver's license
Buy real and not real Austrian driver's license
Buy real and not real Japanese driver's license
Buy real and not real Ukrainian driver's license
Buy real and not real Cambodian driver's license
Buy real and not real Romanian driver's license
Buy real and not real Polish driver's license
Buy real and not real Bulgarian driver's license
Buy real and not real Moroccan driver's license
Buy real and not real Cyprus driver's license
Buy real and not real Norwegian driver's license
Buy real and not real Portuguese driver's license
Buy real and not real Lithuanian driver's license
Buy real and not real Russian driver's license
Buy real and not real Hungarian driver's license
Buy real and not real Brazilian driver's license
Buy real and not real Italian driver's license
Buy real and not real Jamaican driver's license
Buy real and not real South Korean driver's license
Buy real and not real Croatian driver's license
Buy real and not real Danish driver's license
Buy real and not real Malta driver's license
Buy real and not real Swedish driver's license

email: (genuinedockies201@gmail.com)

whatsapp ....+237670725929

Skype Id: lugert2

https://realfakedocky.wordpress.com/

Do not hesitate to contact us by email or call at any time and in any
discretion.

Community

Well, although I don't see myself contacting an organizer who left women out, if they cared about attendance by women they should reconsider. I would NOT go to a conference like this today after bad experiences not even being called on in discussions at such things in the past. But perhaps they couldn't care less and would be very happy to be men-only in attendance as well.

Community

Hi Helen, Helen, and Susan, Good that you have eyes open for this and at least sometimes try to get yourself/other women in there. I like the idea that ASCB's committee tries to make these suggestions. But of course, with few sometimes on the program, it is very important to have the women be good speakers.
I'm not sure ASCB has/gives that info but one can ask around before making the recommendations if doing it yourself.
And of course, Alan is right we should suggest ourselves if we should have been included. It won't always work, but when it does, it can inspire young women a lot.
cheers,
Laura

Community

The Women in Cell Biology Committee (WICB) of the ASCB maintains a speakers bureau that provides names of women in many fields, and also offers to use its membership to help organizers find speakers. Alas, I suspect this resource is not used much. WICB has also been known to write organizers when there are programs published with no (or too few) women.

I have only once tried to get invited to speak at a meeting that didn't include me. I wasn't successful. I am a good speaker, but I am seldom invited to meetings these days. Pity.

Community

--I recently asked to speak at a conference, after being assigned a poster instead. I told them I was a "distinguished scientist and an experienced speaker." I got a nice reply about the small percentage of speakers. Your posting inspired me to check the list of speakers. Yes, there is a smattering of women. Is it Enough? I don't know. I'm curious to attend this foreign conference, partly because I was severely discriminated against at the last conference in this country -- by the organizer's wife!
--I also recently asked to speak at a conference whose deadlines had slipped by me, and I was Invited to speak!
--I think Age and Divorce are both on my side, science-wise. At one conference years ago, someone insisted he had seen my husband on the program, but I was the only one of us on the program.

Community

I have done this before, and I have also nominated myself. As a postdoc and then junior faculty member, I never passed by an opportunity to get my poster upgraded to a talk, even a 15 minute one! I still do that in industry mainly because talks are easier:)

The one thing I did make sure to do was to talk to people about the quality of the speakers BEFORE I put them on the list . One bad woman speaker sets back progress for years as I saw at a Keystone meeting one year. They had only one woman on the program (famous), and she did a dreadful job. So bad that I felt bad for her, and I couldn't stand her personally! My friend and I overheard one of the male organizers afterward commenting "they would never make THAT mistake again". It's not fair or right, but women still need to be 10X better than a man to be considered equal. She was no worse than one of the men on the program, but certainly not even close to the average male speaker. You just can't do a bad job in that setting. It affects many, many women behind you. But hey...no pressure!

Community

This answer hit me like a ton of bricks. And I saw it without realizing I saw it.

Dr. Krylov's solution was to propose a list of women speakers, why not propose herself?

Do women fear rejection, more than they desire success?
Livi M may have pointed out something interesting. That cold calling salesman probably hears hundreds of no's a day. He will get what he is going for.

I remember the patent question, and I think the same analysis applies. Will it be rejected?

My dad's advice on dating, just ask her out, whats the worst thing that can happen? Bruised ego, but the world didn't come to an end.

Ladies, get into the male side of the dating game.

Community

A couple of thoughts.

The height advantage for CEO's came as no surprise, my mom worked for Margaret Chase Smith's election to President of the United States. Learned from my dad that she didn't have a chance in hell. The tallest candidate is always elected. I think that is still true. My dad's candidate didn't win either, Henry Cabot Lodge.

The picture of the Solvay conference should have been this one. (1927)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Solvay_conference_1927.jpg
It shows Madam Curie surrounded by a sea of men. Got to admit it was an impressive sea.
The only winner of 2 Nobels in 2 fields of science, and couldn't even get elected into the French Academy of Sciences.

The question that I would ask is are you promoting yourself?
http://www.techvibes.com/blog/can-women-break-through-the-digital-ceiling

Community

Hi Silke,
Yes, I believe the average person in the hall thinks if I am a female I must be a secretary. I sometimes say, "Hi, I am Professor Hoopes, what's your name?" They jump, then pretend they knew all along.
And Carole, yes, I've read those Female Science Professor postings too. Apparently it's standard operating procedure to put down women at some of the physical sciences international meetings she attends, as well.
cheers,
Laura

Community

I remember Female Science Professor's many anecdotes about how she could not be the person with her last name whose papers male scientist had read, it MUST be her husband. Because those papers are important, good, well respected, so no female could possibly have written them.

Community

Oh, yes, male or female students and workmen always come up to my office door if it's open and ask me to find people for them, etc, but never do that to the men on either side of me. Guess what they think I am? Not a professor, that's for sure.

Community

Contacting some man who has organized a conference on systems biology is worse than getting rid of a cold-calling salesman. I just can't feature myself doing that. If I could find out his email, I might email him some suggested names, though.

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback