Women in Science
Moderated by  Laura Hoopes
Posted on: July 18, 2011
  |  
Posted By: Laura Hoopes

Another question from book tour

Aa Aa Aa

Hi friends of women in science,

As I've talked at various places about Breaking through the Spiral Ceiling, women have come up to me after the talk to ask, "How did you get the courage to do this? These are topics that are NEVER discussed and they are so important. There must be something taboo about them."

I tell them, well, I'm blogging about them all the time, and people are responding with their thoughts. But, I tell them, know what you mean. I think there is a tradition that scientists and scientists in training are to hear only talks about cutting edge science, not about science life style, which seems to most scientists to fit under topics like sociology or history of science, not under science. But in these days when we realize that "the pipeline" loses women at every step, including tenured professors, when women are opting out of science and choosing other fields, at least partly from misinformation about the demands of the field (must you give up family dreams?), I believe it's very important to drag these issues out into the full sunlight and examine and discuss them with future scientists. And it has been very moving to me when grown up scientists at the talks have shared their own experiences and triumphs, to add to the information these young women get from just having the topics broached and hearing one woman's life experiences.

So I am a strong advocate for including women's biographies and memoirs in science as supplements to summer student research groups, to classes, to whatever possible to get the information to young women that family IS possible along with science. Yes, it's self serving because I have such a memoir in print, but I passionately feel that this information can be life changing and is sorely needed by many.

best,

Laura

Comments
8  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

I don't think that these kinds of issues are given any where near enough discussion among young women in science, and hearing from several women who've survived and had families should be very valuable to them. I'm glad you've taken this on, Laura, and I think we all ought to think about ways to make this happen.

Community

Hi Helen and Marian,
Yes, every woman's voice is needed to contribute to the support for young women who are considering a science career today. I know you are talking and telling people of your own experiences, while encouraging them to think it is possible to have a life and be a superb scientist.

Jennifer, I know what you mean. Someone told my daughter that she had to be one hundred percent dedicated to science when she was working on her senior year science fair project. She loved math, science, theatre, music, English. She considered and went into music. I will never know how much this man's words were a deterrent to her, but they might have been.
cheers,
Laura

Community

Laura,

I think it is critical for women, especially young women (even girls) to hear that a woman can be a successful scientist and still have a normal life. Normal meaning husband, children, hobbies, etc. We need more forums for this message to get through, and I appreciate you leading the charge!

I agree that women should work together to get this message out. That may mean putting aside our competitive mindset for a while, but it can be done.

Marian

Community

I think its very important to speak out and share experiences. Those examples serve to do more than just show something can be done. They also help explain how it can be done and what could be done differently/better even. When I speak to undergraduates and graduate students in science they always ask about why I chose to go to industry. And I share the good, bad and ugly with them to the best of my ability.

But as we've discussed on this board many times, its important for young women to see professors that they can imagine becoming. And that includes someone whose whole life you'd like to have, not just the work part!

Community

In my training it was seen as a necessity to work crazy long hours. Women who spoke at Women In Science conferences would brag about how few days they took off for maternity leave. (yes, days) The message was that if you weren't thinking about your science 24/7, then perhaps you weren't cut out for the job.

Of course, that is completely crazy for both men and women. And many of those scientists were not happy people. Hopefully many of us can push the idea that one can be a scientist AND be happy AND have a personal life. Thanks Laura for leading the way!

Community

I heard you talk and I am glad you spoke up about these issues. My boyfriend and I are both interested in the same areas of biology and hope to share a lab some day, so I'm glad you think that it's possible today to do that without having everyone assume the work is all the man's. Keep talking, please!

Community

Hi Lilianna,
Yes, I do include some data and briefly discuss my laboratory's research, for precisely that reason. Without that, I could be a failure at science, whose advice would have little value.
cheers,
Laura

Community

I agree, it takes courage to put yourself out there giving a talk that most scientists would NOT give. And I hope you include, either in the intro or in the talk, some information about you as a scientist to increase your credibility. These issues are incredibly important, and I am glad you are taking them on. You go girl!

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback