Women in Science
Moderated by  Laura Hoopes
Posted on: March 19, 2015
  |  
Posted By: Laura Hoopes

Nancy Hopkins Looks Back at 50 years of Women in Science Issues

Aa Aa Aa

Hi friends of women in science,

Susan Forsburg sent me a link to an important new article in DNA and Cell Biology vol. 34 (3), pp 159-161 (2015) by Nancy Hopkins at MIT, one of the most important and influential voices for women in science for the last few decades. You may recall I interviewed her and she gave me permission to use extracts from her retrospective on MIT's progress in this area a few years ago. The parts I used highlighted both how bad the bad old days had been (up to and including shocking sexual harassment) and the substantial progress that had been made. And she also noted that the comfort level and support of the wonderful STEM faculty women MIT has hired showed that the chilly climate is still an issue. They feel that their male colleagues are not on their side and are just waiting to pounce if they do anything 'wrong' per the good old ways.

Now she is taking a look, over the past 50 years, at how and when institutions make progress in improving the lot of women in STEM. Here is a list that she included in her latest article:

"We learned some important lessons.
•Time alone does not change things-deliberate action by powerful administrators changes institutions.
•Progress requires the commitment of the head of the institution.
•It is essential to bring women into powerful leadership positions, including responsibility for this issue.
•Superb data are essential to track hiring and the equi- table distribution of resources, rewards, and compen- sation over time. Mechanisms are required for swift correction of biased hiring and other inequities.
•To increase the number of women faculty requires oversight at a level above individual departments be- cause of the slow rate of faculty turnover and the small number of faculty hired each year.
•If you stop tracking data and preventing inequities in hiring or distribution of resources and compensations, progress stops and may even retrogress."

When I talked with her eariler, she also noted that a particular dean had been very pro-active in moving forward on this agenda and when he moved on, his replacement's neglect resulted in a stall and some regression in women's progress. Her modus operandi has always been to get the data before making requests/demands that wrongs be righted. Measuring lab space allocated to women and men at MIT was one of her first data sets that moved the administration there to take action. I highly recommend this article and thank Susan Forsburg for the information.

cheers,
Laura

Comments
7  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

SELL CVV GOOD 2018 - SHOP DUMPS WITH PIN FRESH HIGH BALANCE

Sell Cvv - Dumps With Pin All Country ... !!!

SELL CC UK-AU-US FRESH.DEAD FULLZ/CVV

Buy Valid Clone ATM Cards Dumps+pin Fulls Cvv CC Randoms

Sell CVV Good and Fast All Country, WU Transfer, Remove, Track 1 & 2, Paypal,

WhatsApp : +1 (781) 725-2558

ICQ > 726638298

TRACK 1 + TRACK 2 + PIN is what you will receive with balances usually

averaging 2-9K & High Swipe Limits.

Sell Dumps with Pin,Tracks 1&2 Bin 101-Fullz info ATM Pin Skimmed

SELL CVV CCV CC FULLZ DUMPS TRACK 1&2 BANK LOGIN TRANSFER WU BUG ACCOUNT

PAYPAL GIFT CARD FRESH

SELL CVV WU TRANSFER DUMPS TRACK 1/2 PAYPAL TRANSFER

ICQ > 726638298

Cvv CC Fullz

Dumps Track 1/2 with pin

Wu Transfer

Bank Log in

PayPal

ICQ > 726638298

kumasikamassi@gmail.com

SELLING FRESH CVVS FULLZ DUMPS+PIN PAYPAL BANK LOGIN WU

Selling Cvv CC Dumps Track 1/2 Transfer Western Union PP

Sell Paypal,Bank Logins,WU Trf,Dumps+Pin ICQ > 726638298 ,GiftCards,Fullz CC

Sell CVV Quality 100% - Dumps With Pin - Transfer Western Union - Paypal

- With Dumps / Track 1/2 + Pin

- Tracks 1&2 US = 85$ per 1
- Tracks 1&2 UK = 100$ per 1
- Tracks 1&2 CA / AU = 110$ per 1
- Tracks 1&2 EU = 120$ per 1
- Tracks 1&2 Asia = 133$ per 1

===- Price WU Transfer ====

-125$ for 1000$
-335$ for 5000$
-2000$ for 20000$
-3000$ for 30000$
-5000$ for 50000$
-900$ for 10000$

====> Sell Cvv Good Balance 726638298

==> PRICE LIST (U.S)

- CC BIN……………………………………….. ……………..15$
- Fullz……………………………………… ………………………….25$

==>PRICE LIST (OTHER):
(Eu,Mx,Nz, Fr,Ger,Itali,Spain,Sweden,China,Japan,Denmark,ASIA…)

- CC BIN……………………………………….. ……………..30$
- Fullz……………………………………… ………………………….60$

ICQ > 726638298

kumasikamassi@gmail.com

- My Price :

- US (Visa,Master) = $10 per 1 / - US (Amex,Dis) = $15 per 1 / - US full(Visa,Master) = 30$
- CA (Visa,Master) = $15 per 1 / - CA (Amex,Dis) = $18 per 1 / - CA full(Visa,Master) = 45$
- AU (Visa,Master) = $15 per 1 / - AU (Amex,Dis) = $18 per 1 / - AU full(Visa,Master) = 45$
- EU (Visa,Master) = $20 per 1 / - EU (Amex,Dis) = $22 per 1 / - EU full(Visa,Master) = 45$

Credit Card European Union :
- Cvv Italy normal : $30 per 1 - fullz info : $60 per 1
- Cvv Spain normal : $30 per 1 - fullz info : $60 per 1
- Cvv France normal : $30 per 1 - fullz info : $60 per 1
- Cvv Germany normal : $30 per 1 - fullz info : $60 per 1
- Cvv Denmark normal : $30 per 1 - fullz info : $60 per 1
- Cvv Sweden normal : $30 per 1 - fullz info : $60 per 1
- Cvv Ireland normal : $30 per 1 - fullz info : $60 per 1
- Cvv Brazil normal : $25 per 1 - fullz info : $55 per 1
- Cvv Mexico normal : $25 per 1 - fullz info : $55 per 1
- Cvv Asia normal : $30 per 1 - fullz info : $60 per 1

* And many countries other in stock 95% valid rate and high balance
* Please contact us for your CVV of country you want to buy...

Community

We produce Real registered and Fake Novelty passports,drivers licenses,ID cards,birth certificates,diplomas,Visas,SSN,Marriage certificates,divorce papers,US green cards,University degrees
(williamsjohnson790@gmail.com) Gun license,Insurance, Passport Visas, Entry and Exit Stamps, Death Certificates, Residence Permits, Work Permits, Ultility Bills, Invitation Letters, Jobs, CV, Counterfeit Bank Notes, Change all identy documents, Clear criminal records,Social Security Number, Birth Certificate, Driver's license, USA/UK Residence Permits, School Diplomas and Certificates, Teacher's License, Utility Bills, Divorce Certificates, Marriage Certificates, Property Tittles, Customs, Counterfeit Money,birth certificates,diplomas,Visas,SSN,Marriage certificates,divorce papers,US green cards,University degrees,Stamps,Marijuana license, registered TOEFL, IELTS, ESOL, CELTA/DELTA & other English Language Certificates,credit cards,SSD chemical solution and activation powder used for cleaning coated black money, and other documents.....

Emails.....;williamsjohnson790@gmail.com

wilijohon399@gmail.com

Text.....(214) 612-3855

We guarantee you a New Identity Package (Documents) starting from a clean new Genuine Birth Certificate, ID card, Drivers License, forging documents, Novelty Drivers License, Genuine Passports, Novelty Passport, Social security card with SSN, credit files, and credit cards, school diplomas, school degrees and Bank Statements all in an entirely NEW NAME issued and registered in the government database system so you can travel with no problem accross security borders even when the authorities checked them you documents will be report legit with fresh number . We prooduce documents principally in two formats, that's Genuine and Novelty Formats.We offers you pro quality in Degrees and Certificates or Work Permits which is the best way to solve those questions in criterias you lack for work or to travel. Our company has rich experience in making diploma and certificates . Fake degree ,fake diploma and fake certificate are available for all countries and types as long as you have a sampled document or can specify the institution correctly, we are going to produce that exach document. We can match the same design to 100% accuracy, with no difference in quality and authenticity of our degrees. 100% exact as the original, raised lettering to embossed foil seals. Our Novelty Documents are truly amazing.
-IDs Scan-yes
-HOLOGRAMS: IDENTICAL
-BARCODES: IDS SCAN
-UV: YES
FAKE AND REAL IDS WITH FAST SHIPPING.

wilijohon399@gmail.com

Text.....(214) 612-3855

We produce Guaranteed Real time Database Registered Passport, Citizenship, ID Cards, Driver's license, Diplomas, Degrees, Certificates, SSN all paperwork service available. Tourist and business Visa services available to residents of all 50 states, all nationalities and Countries Worldwide. Where to buy fake id card, We are unique producers of Authentic High Quality documents, Real Genuine Data Base Registered and Novelty Passports, fake uk Id Cards, thailand ID Card, passport thailand, uk passport and other documents like Degree, Diploma etc. add fake canadian canadian passports product

Keywords:

Canada Cards
United States Cards
Student Cards
International Cards
Private Cards
Adoption Certificates
Baptism Certificates
Birth Certificates
Death Certificates
Divorce Certificates
Marriage Certificates
Passports,
Driver's License,
ID Cards,
Social Security Cards,
Birth Certificates,
Express work permits,
IELTS certificate,TOIC ETC
Express canadian citizenship docs,
verified id cards,
Passport registered,
Canada Cards,
United States Cards,
Student Cards,
International Cards,
Private Cards,
Adoption Certificates,
Baptism Certificates,
Death Certificates,
Divorce Certificates,
Marriage Certificates,
Custom Certificates,
High School Diplomas,
G.E.D. Diplomas,
Home School Diplomas,
College Degrees,
University Degrees,
Trade Skill Certificates,
Social Security,
Validate SSN Number,
Driver License,
Spy Products,
Voice Changers,
Listening Devices,
Invisible Ink,
DMV Record Inquiry,
Background Check,
Investigate Anyone,
Visa issues,
Clear criminal records
Trade Skill Certificates
Social Security
Validate SSN Number
divorce papers
University degrees
counterfeit money
US green cards
SSD chemical solution and activation powder used for cleaning coated black money

wilijohon399@gmail.com

Text.....(214) 612-3855

Community

In my experience, nothing changes without a commitment by the administration. And administrations won't change things unless they can be persuaded that there is a reason to do so. Not all movement is in a forward direction.

&nbps;
Nancy notes that she felt that she would have to drop out of science if she wanted a family, and unfortunately, I think that's still viewed as the case. I know women graduate students with kids who have decided they don't want the academic track because for early stage investigators, it's so brutal. I know women who have limited how many children they have because of that same concern. BR>&nbps;And, as long as we have an academic career structure built, as it is, on a male-designed tournament model, where most people will fail, and where the requirement for success becomes live-in-the-lab kinds of hours, I don't see that changing. I don't like it, but I don't see how to change it.
&nbps;However, it's important to note that even without a family, Hopkins was systematically disadvantaged at MIT. Simply being a woman is sufficient.

Community

Measuring lab space allotted to men and women is a stroke of brilliance. It is often difficult to communicate the importance of lab space to administrators who are not in the sciences, and this is one way to simply get across the point that an important resource is or is not being allotted equitably.

In my opinion, getting more women in positions of authority is not as useful as making sure whoever occupies those positions has a commitment to improving the workplace environment for women. We have all seen our share of female administrators who favor male faculty over female, or are competitive toward female faculty.

I was also gratified to see that she put family formation issues front and center in her essay. That is indeed crucial because all the evidence shows this very issue is the major reason why female graduate students don't pursue tenure-track jobs and why female scientists drop out of the tenure stream. It is what motivated me to step off the tenure stream only to find it was virtually impossible to re-join it when my children were older.

I also wonder how she feels about sharing resources with female scientists who lie outside the tenure stream, a group that now constitutes the new faculty majority, according to AAUP. The data show that these faculty are not (as usually assumed) failed academics whose duties should be restricted to teaching but quality scientists and scholars who made a Sophie's Choice between career and family and chose the latter while their children were young. That is indeed a waste of female talent.

Community

Hi Miri and Small Science Woman,

I'm glad you look to Nancy Hopkins as an inspiring leader. I do too, and I'm glad to say she's also among the most cooperative and approachable people I've ever talked with for this Forum. And she does great science too (of course I should have said that first!).

cheers,
Laura

Community

Hey Laura,
I always imagine Nancy Hopkins as down on the floor with one of those contractile measuring tapes, checking on the size of each professor's lab space. She has done wonders for women all over the country by focusing on the details of what MIT was doing. Everywhere, women emulated her tactics and often got improvements in the fairness of their treatment. We stopped hearing that men needed more space because they were heads of families or because they always had bigger grants. Kudos to her!
Miri R B

Community

Very interesting Laura! I have a huge respect for Nancy Hopkins. The ideas that appeared in passing earlier have now been fleshed out and developed. The list is quite in tune with my own experience. We don't like to think the administration has so much power to make or break reforms, but they control the flow of money and that's usually important in breaking down old norms and patterns.
SSW

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback