« Prev Next »
Women in Science
Moderated by  Laura Hoopes
Posted on: March 9, 2011
  |  
Posted By: Laura Hoopes

Status of Women, 49 Years Later

Aa Aa Aa

In 1962, President John F. Kennedy established the Commission on the Status of Women, which studied how women were doing in American society and issued a report that same year. The commission just issued its second report called "Women in American: Indicators of Social and Economic Well-Being." You can download a copy of the report here.

There is not much in the report that will suprise you, I'm sure, but it's a chance to review what we've been discussing in a more condensed way. Did you know that 57% of undergraduate degrees go to women today? And we've narrowed the wage gap between men and women by 18% since 1979. Also, women are now 51% of the workers in management and professional positions. But science and allied fields are not as impressive as the overall picture. Only 7% of female professionals vs 38% of males work in computer science or engineering, very lucrative occupations. We find nothing surprising about that.

And, apropos of the upcoming Equal Pay day in April, when we women will stop working for free as compared with men and actually earn the same amount from then on, we earn 77% of men's wages nationally, when medians are compared. I remember the 69 cent buttons, so we've gone up a little. Part of the gap is due to the lack of women in some high paying jobs, like computer science and engineering, of course.

Also the percent of women who are married decreased between1970 and 2009, from 2 percent to 62 percent. It also went down for men, from 84 percent to 66 percent. In the most recent data (2009), the authors found that 15 percent of women and 20 percent of men had never married, compared to 7 percent and 9 percent, respectively, in 1970.

There are many more interesting facts in this report; take a look. Let us know what you find that surprises you.

cheers,
Laura

Comments
11  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

Buy Passport,Driver License,Age & ID Card,Visa: Website: https://realfakedocky.wordpress.com/

Buy high quality Real Passports, Visas, Driver's License ,ID CARDS, Marriage certificates, Diplomas, Birth Certificates, Credit cards, Utility bills, Social Security cards, Resident permits, Death certificates, Seaman cards, e.t.c

We are a team of highly experienced and sophisticated IT professionals with many years of experience in producing high quality documents of all categories.

We offer original high quality real and not real passports, driver driving, ID cards, stamps, birth certificates, diplomas, e.t.c for almost all countries in the world mostly countries like: US, AustrAalia, Belgium, Brazil, Norway, Canada, Italy, Finland, France, Germany, Israel, Mexico, Netherlands, South Africa, Spain, United Kingdom, e.t.c

This list is not complete.

For additional information and to place your order, just contact us by email, skype or phone.

email: (genuinedockies201@gmail.com)

whatsapp ....+237670725929

Skype Id: lugert2

Web Site: https://realfakedocky.wordpress.com/

Do not hesitate to contact us by email or call at any time and in any
discretion.

TOPICS:

BUY REAL AND Not-Real PASSPORTS:

Buy real and Not-Real USA passports
Buy real and Not-Real Australian passports
Buy real and Not-Real Belgian passports
Buy real and Not-Real Brazilian passports
Buy real and Not-Real Canadian passports
Buy real and not real French passports
Buy real and not real New Zealand passports
Buy real and not real German passports
Buy real and not real Dutch (Netherlands) passports
Buy real and not real Israeli passports
Buy real and not real UK (United Kingdom) passports
Buy real and not real Spanish passports
Buy real and not real Mexican passports
Buy real and not real South African passports
Buy real and not real Swiss (Switzerland) passports
Buy real and not real Chinese passports
Buy real and not real Austrian passports
Buy real and not real Japanese passports
Buy real and not real Ukrainian passports
Buy real and not real Cambodian passports
Buy real and not real Romanian passports
Buy real and not real Polish passports
Buy real and not real Bulgarian passports
Buy real and not real Moroccan passports
Buy real and not real Cyprus passports
Buy real and not real Norwegian passports
Buy real and not real Portuguese passports
Buy real and not real Lithuanian passports
Buy real and not real Russian passports
Buy real and not real Hungarian passports
Buy real and not real Brazilian passports
Buy real and not real Italian passports
Buy real and not real Jamaican passports
Buy real and not real South Korean passport
Buy real and not real Croatian passports
Buy real and not real Danish passports
Buy real and not real Malta passports
Buy real and not real Swedish passports

BUY REAL AND Not Real DRIVING LICENCE

Buy real and not real USA driver's license
Buy real and not real New Zealand driver's license
Buy real and not real German driver's license
Buy real and not real Dutch (Netherlands) driver's license
Buy real and not real Israeli driver's license
Buy real and not real UK (United Kingdom) driver's license
Buy real and not real Spanish driver's license
Buy real and not real Mexican driver's license
Buy real and not real South African driver's license
Buy real and not real Swiss (Switzerland) driver's license
Buy real and not real Chinese driver's license
Buy real and not real Austrian driver's license
Buy real and not real Japanese driver's license
Buy real and not real Ukrainian driver's license
Buy real and not real Cambodian driver's license
Buy real and not real Romanian driver's license
Buy real and not real Polish driver's license
Buy real and not real Bulgarian driver's license
Buy real and not real Moroccan driver's license
Buy real and not real Cyprus driver's license
Buy real and not real Norwegian driver's license
Buy real and not real Portuguese driver's license
Buy real and not real Lithuanian driver's license
Buy real and not real Russian driver's license
Buy real and not real Hungarian driver's license
Buy real and not real Brazilian driver's license
Buy real and not real Italian driver's license
Buy real and not real Jamaican driver's license
Buy real and not real South Korean driver's license
Buy real and not real Croatian driver's license
Buy real and not real Danish driver's license
Buy real and not real Malta driver's license
Buy real and not real Swedish driver's license

email: (genuinedockies201@gmail.com)

whatsapp ....+237670725929

Skype Id: lugert2

https://realfakedocky.wordpress.com/

Do not hesitate to contact us by email or call at any time and in any
discretion.

Community

I'm pleased that the Obama administration is paying some attention to women. I used to think they felt they had 'checked off' all kinds of support for the disadvantaged in our society just by being elected. But nowadays, it seems there's a resurgence of a theme from the campaign days, help the downtrodden. I don't much like to think women fit there, but the data say otherwise.

Community

Hi MSS,
Yes, the fact that there is a gap right from the start of employment is cruel, and it gets worse because as the career extends, the pay gap gets bigger. Watch for a lot of coverage for Equal Pay Day in week 2 of April. There's a lot of heartbreaking info about women's lack of equal treatment.

But on the hopeful side of the ledger, Congress may re-introduce, and perhaps even pass, the Paycheck Fairness Act this spring. It is an issue with bipartisan support, but perhaps not enough. If it's introduced, I'll be asking you all to contact your congressional representatives and senators.
cheers,
Laura

Community

Recent National Bureau of Statistics studies (2008) show that women earn less than men in almost every scientific field. In some fields they earn as little as 60% of what men do. The gap is higher for college educated women than for those less educated. One can try to explain away differences, but the following is scary:

A study of students in their first year out of college showed that women with the same education and same jobs, after correcting for all other factors, earn 5% less than men! And, the gap grows to 12% in five years.

Community

I think when girls are completing college and PhDs at higher rates than boys, it's time for sexism to just shrivel up and die. I hope it happens soon. I still get those little icy blasts from some male colleagues, and if I were more sensitive, I might be gone. But I go home, put my feet up, drink a Mai Tai, and life is good again. I can read scientific papers without grinding my teeth.
FBP

Community

Dear Small Science Woman,
I agree. That's an interesting and telling comparison with Endangered Species. I hope women get the attention they deserve from the government going forward. Evidently, Obama had to ask for this report. Perhaps AAUW and other women's watchdog organizations can press upcoming presidents to ask for one much earlier.
cheers,
Laura

Community

It's a good thing for the government to pay attention to problems. Endangered Species get more attention than women, though. Can we turn that around somehow? I think 49 years is way too long to wait for a new report on how women are doing in the USA.

Community

I do find it surprising that 57% of undergraduate degrees go to women these days, although I've heard about colleges that are creeping up higher and higher in their female/male student ratios. I hope all those women enter a world that is open to them, not a world that says, "you are not needed" and slams the door in their faces. In some of the testimony about the Paycheck Fairness Act that did not pass last December, there were heartbreaking stories about women who were told they didn't need promotion and raises because they didn't have a family to take care of, even when sometimes they did!
I hope that bill will be passed some day.

Community

Dear Mad Dog,
No, I think Ceci and Williams carefully factored out all of the explanations by how they crafted the statistical analysis. I will post about this idea later this week. I by no means would agree that there is no longer any direct bias and that there are no effects to be found on women. You might ask yourself, why are the women making these choices that Ceci and Williams point to? Just a drive to have and care for children cannot explain it all, because that drive was doubtless there since before they ever chose science as a career for some, and for others it doesn't even apply. Women leave throughout the process, even after they are tenure track professors. There has to be something about the job situation that gives them the push to choose otherwise.
cheers,
Laura

Community

Don't you think Ceci and Williams trumped this report, and in fact pretty much all of these reports that get released about women's status? I think there is a tendency to rely on old data and some of these things are not really in effect any longer. Newer, better studies have shown that choices women make are the most important reason why they aren't in CS and Engineering.

Community

I cannot say I'm surprised that Computer Science is singled out like this, but it's still painful. Someone (NSF? AAC&U? NCAA?) needs to take this field on and demand that it change. The fact that it made progress earlier and has now lost it, shows they can do it if they only want to!

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback