Women in Science
Moderated by  Laura Hoopes
Posted on: April 14, 2015
  |  
Posted By: Laura Hoopes

UNequal pay again

Aa Aa Aa

Hi friends of women in science,

Equal pay day this year is April 14. Supposedly, a woman who works all year would start being paid April 14 and from then on, would receive the same salary as a man for the same work. This year, the comparative wage of women vs men appears to be 78 cents. Buzzfeed is having a lot of buzz about a video about "Allison" who discovers the wage gap and then works 78% of the time of her higher paid male colleague. Probably her colleagues and her boss thought she'd work 115% to be as cooperative as they expected. You can view it here.

Some online critiques of the video say that the 78% of male's salaries number compares apples and oranges because the jobs and education may be unequal, etc etc etc. However, careful comparisons of equally qualified individuals in the same positions by AWIS and AAUW have shown the wage gap still exists if you control for these variables. In fact, in Why So Few, AAUW showed that women with equal educational backgrounds to men are discriminated against in salary even right out of college, when there is no difference in experience. Furthermore, why should we accept that it's OK for women to have less qualifications to offer? Have they been denied opportunities to get qualified? Let's move on to the stricter wage comparison, though.

It's not all that surprising given the studies we've discussed before including Moss-Racusin et al., Proc Natl Acad Sci, 2012. Those authors found that the same resume sent to male and female professors to be evaluated for possible hiring as a research assistant elicited different results depending on the male or female name listed at the top. Females would be mentored less willingly, offered less opportunities, and given a lower starting salary. Those marks of discrimination were true whether the respondents were male or female. The results supported the idea that there's an unconscious bias against women that results in their being undervalued by potential employers/mentors.

So for the equal pay issue, that plus the well-known dislike of many women to negotiate or ask for raises can account for the salary discrepancies between equally qualified men and women.

How do you think about this issue? Does your institution release to the public their comparative data on men vs women's pay by position title? Or any means of comparison? Do they forbid you to compare salaries with other employees?

cheers,
Laura

Comments
7  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

Buy Passport,Driver License,IELTS,PMP,NEBOSH,PTE,TOEFL Certificate. Buy Undetected Counterfeit Money ( genuinedockies201@gmail.com )

Buy high quality Real Passports, Visas, Driver's License ,ID CARDS, Certificates, Marriage

certificates, Diplomas, Birth Certificates, Credit cards, Utility bills, Social Security cards,

Resident permits, Death certificates, Seaman cards, e.t.c

We are a team of highly experienced and sophisticated IT professionals with many years of

experience in producing high quality documents of all categories.

We offer original high quality real and not real passports, driver driving, ID cards, stamps,

birth certificates, diplomas, e.t.c for almost all countries in the world mostly countries

like: US, Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Norway, Canada, Italy, Finland, France, Germany, Israel,

Mexico, Netherlands, South Africa, Spain, United Kingdom, e.t.c

This list is not complete.

For additional information and to place your order, just contact us by email, skype or phone.

Email:.......: ( genuinedockies201@gmail.com )

Whatsapp:.......: +380667669606

Text Us At:.....: +1 (937) 601-8189

Skype Id:.........: lugert2

Do not hesitate to contact us by email or call at any time and in any discretion.

TOPICS:

BUY REAL AND Not-Real PASSPORTS:

BUY REAL AND Not Real DRIVING LICENCE

BUY REAL AND not real IDENTITY CARDS

Also buy real and not real registered passport, registered residence permits, SSN, credit

cards, birth certificates, marriage certificates, Diplomas, Death certificates, Divorce

certificates, e.t.c. Camouflage passports, anonymous, private, safe, travel, anti terrorism,

international, offshore documents, e.t.c

I AM PROVIDING HERE AGAIN OUR CONTACT. JUST SEND US EMAIL OR CALL US NOW TO PLACE YOUR ORDER

AND EXPERIENCE REAL EXPERTS DO WHAT THEY DO BEST.

BUY UNDETECTED COUNTERFEIT MONEY (CURRENCY) ONLINE.

Have you Ever Wondered Where you can Buy Fake Currency that Looks Very Real? Do you want to

order Fake money and change your life in a few days, Are you preparing to shoot a movie or

music video and you need some fake currency to use?

GBP - Bristish Pound
EUR - Euro
USD - US Dollar
CAD - Canadian Dollar
AUD - Australian Dollar
CHF - Swiss Franc
NZD - New Zealand Dollar
SGD - Singapore Dollar
MYR - Malaysian Ringgit
DEM - German Mark
NLG - Dutch Guilder
AED - Emirati Dirham
IEP - Irish Punt
LVL - Latvian Lats
ZAR - Rand

Email:.......: ( genuinedockies201@gmail.com )

Whatsapp:.......: +380667669606

Text Us At:.....: +1 (937) 601-8189

Skype Id:.........: lugert2

Do not hesitate to contact us by email or call at any time and in any discretion.

Community

HOW I GOT A LOAN @ 2% INTEREST RATE with Victoriafinancier@outlook.com

I never knew it was really possible to get loan from on line bank or lenders. I was dying in debt with lots of bills to pay for my three kids and my credit score was also very low. So, I just came online to know more about how to approach banks or take a pay day loan with low credit scores. Then i founds numerous write up and articles on different sites of how Victoria Financier Firm help people, firm and organizations with loan @ 2% interest rate. With the knowledge i got online, I contact the Victoria Financier with: Victoriafinancier@outlook.com , i explain my self. I applied for $60,000 but she approved $40,000 and it was the $40K i received in my account. The transaction process was very easy. She confirm my Identity and ensure the safety of the funds. I recommend this company to everybody. Don't die in debt before you seek for help. Write mail to the Victoria now with: Victoriafinancier@outlook.com

*Full Name:_________

*Address:_________

*Tell:_________

*loan amount:_________

*Loan duration:_________

*Purpose of loan:_________

*Monthly Income:__________

*Occupation__________

*Next of kin :_________

*Email :_________

Community

Buy Passport,Driver License,Age & ID Card,Visa: Website: https://realfakedocky.wordpress.com/

Buy high quality Real Passports, Visas, Driver's License ,ID CARDS, Marriage certificates, Diplomas, Birth Certificates, Credit cards, Utility bills, Social Security cards, Resident permits, Death certificates, Seaman cards, e.t.c

We are a team of highly experienced and sophisticated IT professionals with many years of experience in producing high quality documents of all categories.

We offer original high quality real and not real passports, driver driving, ID cards, stamps, birth certificates, diplomas, e.t.c for almost all countries in the world mostly countries like: US, AustrAalia, Belgium, Brazil, Norway, Canada, Italy, Finland, France, Germany, Israel, Mexico, Netherlands, South Africa, Spain, United Kingdom, e.t.c

This list is not complete.

For additional information and to place your order, just contact us by email, skype or phone.

email: (genuinedockies201@gmail.com)

whatsapp ....+237670725929

Skype Id: lugert2

Web Site: https://realfakedocky.wordpress.com/

Do not hesitate to contact us by email or call at any time and in any
discretion.

TOPICS:

BUY REAL AND Not-Real PASSPORTS:

Buy real and Not-Real USA passports
Buy real and Not-Real Australian passports
Buy real and Not-Real Belgian passports
Buy real and Not-Real Brazilian passports
Buy real and Not-Real Canadian passports
Buy real and not real French passports
Buy real and not real New Zealand passports
Buy real and not real German passports
Buy real and not real Dutch (Netherlands) passports
Buy real and not real Israeli passports
Buy real and not real UK (United Kingdom) passports
Buy real and not real Spanish passports
Buy real and not real Mexican passports
Buy real and not real South African passports
Buy real and not real Swiss (Switzerland) passports
Buy real and not real Chinese passports
Buy real and not real Austrian passports
Buy real and not real Japanese passports
Buy real and not real Ukrainian passports
Buy real and not real Cambodian passports
Buy real and not real Romanian passports
Buy real and not real Polish passports
Buy real and not real Bulgarian passports
Buy real and not real Moroccan passports
Buy real and not real Cyprus passports
Buy real and not real Norwegian passports
Buy real and not real Portuguese passports
Buy real and not real Lithuanian passports
Buy real and not real Russian passports
Buy real and not real Hungarian passports
Buy real and not real Brazilian passports
Buy real and not real Italian passports
Buy real and not real Jamaican passports
Buy real and not real South Korean passport
Buy real and not real Croatian passports
Buy real and not real Danish passports
Buy real and not real Malta passports
Buy real and not real Swedish passports

BUY REAL AND Not Real DRIVING LICENCE

Buy real and not real USA driver's license
Buy real and not real New Zealand driver's license
Buy real and not real German driver's license
Buy real and not real Dutch (Netherlands) driver's license
Buy real and not real Israeli driver's license
Buy real and not real UK (United Kingdom) driver's license
Buy real and not real Spanish driver's license
Buy real and not real Mexican driver's license
Buy real and not real South African driver's license
Buy real and not real Swiss (Switzerland) driver's license
Buy real and not real Chinese driver's license
Buy real and not real Austrian driver's license
Buy real and not real Japanese driver's license
Buy real and not real Ukrainian driver's license
Buy real and not real Cambodian driver's license
Buy real and not real Romanian driver's license
Buy real and not real Polish driver's license
Buy real and not real Bulgarian driver's license
Buy real and not real Moroccan driver's license
Buy real and not real Cyprus driver's license
Buy real and not real Norwegian driver's license
Buy real and not real Portuguese driver's license
Buy real and not real Lithuanian driver's license
Buy real and not real Russian driver's license
Buy real and not real Hungarian driver's license
Buy real and not real Brazilian driver's license
Buy real and not real Italian driver's license
Buy real and not real Jamaican driver's license
Buy real and not real South Korean driver's license
Buy real and not real Croatian driver's license
Buy real and not real Danish driver's license
Buy real and not real Malta driver's license
Buy real and not real Swedish driver's license

email: (genuinedockies201@gmail.com)

whatsapp ....+237670725929

Skype Id: lugert2

https://realfakedocky.wordpress.com/

Do not hesitate to contact us by email or call at any time and in any
discretion.

Community

Could it be Testosterone? Watch a woman respond to a threat (of any kind) compared to a male response.

There ought to be a women Trade Union with a few "Heavies" to "Encourage" Bosses to be more even-handed.

PS I want to thank - very much - the ladies of Scitable Education who have given my 80 year old brain the opportunity to learn something of this "Magical" science OF bIOLOGY

Community

Community

I think this might be relevant:

In a recent study, researchers found that women ask for a lot more money (~$7,000) when negotiating on behalf of someone else than when they are negotiating for themselves. http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2014/04/08/300290240/why-women-dont-ask-for-more-money

This article summarizes research on gender and salary negotiation this way: "In repeated studies, the social cost of negotiating for higher pay has been found to be greater for women than it is for men." In other words, women are strongly disliked when they ask for more money; men are not. https://hbr.org/2014/06/why-women-dont-negotiate-their-job-offers/

The sad thing is that this is true regardless of gender of the evaluators; women are just as likely to not like other women who ask for more.

I am not trying to blame women for this kind of injustice, but I think knowing about it can empower us to not behave this way when we see another woman asking for more. A simple shift in perspective can work wonders, as in, "If she succeeds, it will make it that much easier for me to get more."

Community

Hi Pam,
That's interesting. I suppose there are more long-time full professors who are male since there's no mandatory retirement age. I am not aware of any universities that ever cut salaries after peak of productivity is passed so those geezers are pulling down high salaries for sure.

My college's Affirmative Action Committee reports that comparative data to the faculty every year. Like yours, it's not broken down by time of service at all. I think the younger profs are paid well and there's salary compression, i.e. the older ones get lesser percent raises. But there is almost no salary difference by gender except in full professors.

cheers,
Laura

Community

Hey Laura--

I loved the video! But I suspect she'd get fired if she tried that. I also think she wasn't really telling the guys it was about the unequal pay and I'm not sure they were getting it. (Yes, I know it's acting, but in this situation, I'd expect her to make it clearer, maybe by wearing a 78% button or something).

At my university, all depts are aggregated and the admin reports by professorial rank the average salary of males and females. They don't include the professional schools, they say because the are on a different salary scale. The males make somewhat more in each category but the discrepancy is not 22% in any of the categories except full professor. I'd like a bit more detail about time in service, but they say that would violate confidentiality.

Pam

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback