Women in Science
Moderated by  Laura Hoopes
Posted on: May 13, 2012
  |  
Posted By: Laura Hoopes

AAAS on Sue Rosser

Aa Aa Aa
Dear friends of women in science,

Sue Rosser has been a guest in the forum earlier, talking about patents and how women get, or give themselves, the short end of the stick when it comes to patenting discoveries. In April, AAAS profiled Rosser with some interesting facts about her career.
Rosser, currently the Provost and VP for Academic Affairs at San Francisco State University received her PhD in zoology from University of Wisconsin, Madison in 1973, She was assigned a museum project for her dissertation because she was pregnant at the time. She also had to put up with sexual harassment in the laboratory. But she persisted and has reached heights in academia that few women attain.
In March, she released her book, Breaking into the Lab: Engineering Progress for Women in Science, including interviews with women of science. She tries to find the answer we all want, to the question of why there are still so few of us after decades of effort and focus. Here is a link to a podcast of selections from the book, read by Sue Rosser.
Cheers,
Laura
Comments
1  Comment  | Post a Comment
Community

Hi Laura,
OK, I have this on my beach reading list for the summer. I hope to get to the beach at least once! She's a long-time champion of women in science, from her days at NSF, and I'm sure the book will be worth reading. Thanks for alerting me!
FBP

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback