Women in Science
Moderated by  Laura Hoopes
Posted on: August 25, 2011
  |  
Posted By: Laura Hoopes

Scientific Barbies from Guest Kate Sleeth

Aa Aa Aa
Dear Friends of Women in Science,
Here is Kate Sleeth's third guest posting. I hope you've enjoyed her perspectives as an articulate young postdoctoral fellow! Best, Laura
Today I am going to talk about a seemingly mythical creature who, I am sad to say, does exist: Scientific Barbie! I have been working in a scientific environment for 13 years and I am happy to say that I have only encountered a few of these women.
However, they do unfortunately exist. As a female I say that they are an embarrassment. They need to appreciate that while acting in a coquettish fashion may get you so far in your career, it is actually damaging to other women. I will give two different examples of potential Scientific Barbies I have encountered and my perceptions of them.
My first encounter was many moons ago during my Ph.D. I was very excited as a world renowned visiting lecturer from a prestigious research institution was giving a talk. You can imagine my surprise when she walked onto the stage in a leather mini skirt and tight top! My first thought was "Wow, she looks great - I hope I look like that in 30+ year's time!" My second thought was "Why would she represent herself in such a way?" The men in the audience certainly enjoyed her outfit and as I witnessed the reactions around the room I became speechless. Once she began her presentation it became abundantly clear that she is a world leader in her field and is a fabulous scientist; she chooses to wear provocative clothing and knows the effects it has on those in the audience. She chooses not to censure her clothes as she expects to be judged on her scientific merit and not her appearance. I agree with her in principle, however, I do think she has gone to the extreme. It simply isn't professional to wear certain clothing in a professional work environment. It does prejudice people against you as their first impressions (which may be hard to change) will not be positive or complimentary. Assumptions will be made about your abilities and it makes your job so much harder if you are working uphill against notions you have inadvertently given.
My second encounter was quite different. The lady in question was immaculately dressed in business attire however acted like an extra in the 90's movie Clueless. She constantly threw her head around, ran her hands through her hair and laughed and joked at inappropriate times. The fragments of good science I heard were buried under a pile of silly comments and coquettish remarks which were all meant (I assume) to appear witty and clever. They didn't. I left the room hoping that other women who witnessed her "act" would have a visceral reaction, as I did, and realize that her behavior is unacceptable. I was surprised as the majority of people present were actually women and she still behaved in this way. I would hope that one of her peers may take the time to mention how her actions and comments do not reflect her in a positive light.

The first lady is a unique case who has chosen a non-conformist path to deliberately provoke debate, potentially similar to Erin Brockovich (who in the film refuses to change her wardrobe to be taken seriously). The second case is definitely a Scientific Barbie and is far more damaging; she is far from unique and isn't trying to make any grandiose statements. She is simply trying to get by using the minimum of effort and her "charms". Anyone who meets her may begin to wonder how many other women in science also resort to such distractions and may not deserve the positions they hold on their scientific merits alone. Clearly if you are a woman in science this is not how you want to be perceived and are probably aghast that because of the actions of a few, the many may be tarnished. The message needs to be sent loud and clear that the vast majority of women in science have fairly earned their positions and are knowledgeable or their research fields and business environment; that the vast majority do not appreciate the small handful of women who attempt to take an easier path to success. We need to ensure that impressionable women who are beginning their scientific careers are surrounded by good mentors; otherwise the Barbie phenotype may go viral and increase in number until they are no longer a small proportion of the population.
If the sisterhood of science stands together and renounces all Scientific Barbie's hopefully they will eventually become the mythical creature they should always have been.
The views expressed in this column are those of the author and do not reflect the views or policies of the Institution she works for.
Comments
4  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

I've met several different versions of Barbie during my scientific career as Kate describes. And the Type B used to annoy me in particular, but then I realized I would not judge a man that harshly and I got over it as some of the other posters have also said.

If someone choses to present herself in a less than professional manner, it's up to her to decide that and deal with the consequences that come along with it.

I think that men are well able to differentiate between a woman as a scientist vs. as a "friend with benefits". I have seen men who are having an affair with a woman scientist who are still appropriately critical of her scientific work. And men who were rebuffed by a barbie praise the work of the woman who rejected them.

So all in all I don't think it affects things much.

What I can recommend is that they don't wear those miniskirts and heels in the lab...that's a safety issue! Put on a lab coat and some closed toe shoes please.

Community

I think I have to agree with some of the sentiments posted by postdoc cat. I don't think that the first woman is hurt by her dress. She is quite well known and successful, clearly her wardrobe didn't stop or hurt her. Perhaps it helped???????? It is awful to ponder, but I agree that a male scientist may be more likely to talk to the miniskirt-wearing scientists over the one in boring/conservative dress.

Regarding the ditz, some woman are insecure and it comes out as ditzy. It is not helpful, I agree.

Community

I think it's their own business. They do, however, strike me as the young women we've been discussing earlier this week, who choose love over science, in a manner of speaking. It doesn't matter to them that people understand and value their science as much as that their attractiveness as a sex object is validated, I guess. Not where I want to be, but I think it's sad and misguided not really destructive. FBP

Community

I feel that the men's response is more the problem than the women's actions. If they didn't react, the women would stop doing it, right? I've seen men practically drool over an attractive speaker and ignore a less flamboyant one with much more impressive data.

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback