Women in Science
Moderated by  Laura Hoopes
Posted on: February 2, 2012
  |  
Posted By: Laura Hoopes

State Science Standards: Women in Science Can Speak Up

Aa Aa Aa

Dear friends of women in science:

I was appalled when a friend referred me to the io9 article on the incredibly weak standards for science education set by so many states. Fordham Institute has just completed a report that covers each individual state, and you can click in the io9 article to go to that report and get details about your own state. Click here to see the io9 article and the map showing the status of each state.

Of course, part of the problem is that some states prefer not to require the major theory on which all modern biology rests, evolution, in their science curriculum. However, the problem doesn't end there. Plenty of states simply don't seem to care what science is taught to their kids in K-12 schools. "Nothing much expected" typically yields "nothing much accomplished." So if you have a chance to give input on what your own state's science standards should be, seriously consider helping out. Clearly those making the decisions sorely need to consider what real scientists think!

There are 26 states that have recently agreed to write common standards, so you may be able to connect with those working on this set of shared curriculum for many states.

cheers,
Laura

Comments
2  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

Laura,

I am very concerned about science education in my local schools. I work with my local AAUW as their fund-raising chair, raising funds to send girls to TechTrek, a science summer camp for 7th grade girls. It's tough -- we have never sent more than 20 girls in our city of almost 200,000. Our AAUW also sponsors STEM Stars, a program for TechTrek grads and their friends, in which we arrange for monthly science field trips and outings.

But, we ALL need have to work with schools. I was fortunate enough to be a Sputnik baby and, as such, was fortunate to attend summer schools and special classes, usually for us "over achievers". My kids never had the chance for such programs -- no funds or community/school interest. Furthermore, their science classes, particularly in high school (thanks to APs?) included almost no laboratory work. It is the lab work that gets kids engaged. Evolution or no, if we don't engage our students, we are lost.

My work also sponsors programs for school children -- too few, but they do it. All of us should try to get our companies to work with local schools on science education. The schools need our help

Marian

Community

I'm amazed to see that California is at the top of the heap. After all the cuts in funding I would have thought we were slipping down. I know some schools don't do the required AP labs except as demonstrations, which isn't allowed, but there are no AP police, are there?
I still think it's more rote than it should be, less fun, less exploration. So we can still do things to add that to the experience of students in K-12 here.

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback