Women in Science
Other Topics
« Prev Next »
Women in Science
Moderated by  Laura Hoopes
Posted on: March 6, 2012
  |  
Posted By: Laura Hoopes

Considering a Women in Science Conference?

Aa Aa Aa

Dear Friends of Women in Science,

I just returned from Canada where I had the pleasure of being the keynote speaker for the Women in Science and Engineering's Current Research in Engineering, Science and Technology (CREST) conference at McMaster University in Hamilton, Ontario (near Toronto).

If you are thinking of starting your own annual conference to support women in science, this one, in its 8th annual iteration, would be a great model to consider. Here are some of the things I liked about the conference. It had student and/or postdoc presentations from both men and women on current research. It had talks and panels focused on topics that can help women in science but are interesting to both men and women. Panels focused on issues in careers, in alternative career choices, and on industry opportunities for STEM people. One talk, by a man, was on the Imposter Syndrome and showed how he had felt the same sinking feelings of being out of his area of expertise, an imposter, that are often attributed to women. One of my keynote talks was on yeast aging research, and the other was on the situation for women in science and why a memoir (specifically, Breaking Through the Spiral Ceiling) can help women in science. There were wonderful wine and cheese receptions at the end of each day for talk and interactions. Breakfasts and lunches were included in the conference, also offering interaction and networking opportunities. Click on the link in the first paragraph to go to the website and see photos of some of these events.

Do you already have a conference or an event for women in STEM fields? Let us know what it's like and what you like best about it if so.

cheers,

Laura

Comments
3  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

What about a women's TEDx? TED is a brilliant promulgator of science, a whole flotilla of women's TEDx's would be superb.

Community

Laura,

Such a conference sound fantastic! I would have loved it when I was a graduate student. Thank you for promulgating the idea!

Marian

Community

This looks like a terrific conference with a great format - STEM students presenting their research with a focus on issues facing women in STEM. I haven't seen a conference like this before. Thanks for posting about it, Laura.

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback