Women in Science
Moderated by  Laura Hoopes
Posted on: February 8, 2013
  |  
Posted By: Laura Hoopes

TV on Women in STEM, Saturday, Feb 9 at 10 AM

Aa Aa Aa

Hi friends of women in science,

Our friend and co-host of this forum last year, Christianne Corbet of AAUW, co-author of Why So Few, is one of the panel members on a TV show tomorrow morning. Melissa Harris-Perry on MSNBC has assembled a panel to talk about girls and women in STEM, on most stations from 10-12 AM. If you have soccer or a meeting of some kind, perhaps you can tape it for future viewing. It's sure to be really great food for thought, and in tune with our objectives on this forum.

Christianne explains the other members of the panel this way, "CEO of the girl scouts, Ana-Marie Chavez; one of the doctors behind the Disney show Doc McStuffins; and Danielle Moody-Mills, who has done work on increasing access to STEM education to underrepresented communities."

What do you think about such TV shows as a way to increase access/encourage girls' participation in STEM fields?

cheers,

Laura

Comments
4  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

Hi Laura,
Did you watch it? I did. I liked the doctor with the McStuffins emphasis but I really liked what Christianne Corbet said about GROWTH! I know that was in her book too, but it's so important to conceptualize yourself as able to grow and learn new things, and not as limited by what others think you were born with. If you strongly believe you can grow and learn what you need, others' stereotypes are less likely to affect you.

CCC

Community

Hi Laura,

It's not location, location, location but visibility, visibility, visibility. How many people how fast will get the message from MSNBC versus reading that great AAUW book? Just sayin...

EP

Community

Hi Kathy,

I'm excited about it too. I know some people are dubious about television as a force to move people, tend to see it as just entertainment that's easy to brush off. But I think this show won't be that sort of presentation, but will be convincing and moving.

cheers,
Laura

Community

Hi Laura,

I am thrilled to hear this show is coming on, but I'll have to tape it. The girl scouts are doing a lot that is under the radar, and AAUW of course is doing a lot too, so people can hear about local efforts they could easily join. Melissa Harris-Perry is persuasive and articulate, and those who hear the panel will probably come away convinced of the importance of the issue. Great to hear!

KRS

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback