Women in Science
Moderated by  Laura Hoopes
Posted on: February 20, 2012
  |  
Posted By: Laura Hoopes

Twitteriffic #IAmScience Opens Out Lives

Aa Aa Aa

Dear Friends of Women in Science,

As others on the Nature blog realm have noticed, but I had missed until today, there's a new meme out there. In january, Kevin Zelnio started a movement to tell people about how your life in science has gone. The secrets, the things you've smoothed over and perhaps forgotten, the drugs, the pain, the poor evaluations, the discouragement, the depression, the persistence. If you are on Twitter, you can find the thread he began at the hashtag #IAmScience.

It has broadened and spread out a bit, but new lives keep appearing. People share their struggles. Students say they're inspired by the honesty. You can read Kevin's original manifesto here. I'd also recommend a video with quotes from the early stream of responses here, and a very thought povoking essay from a woman who received a science PhD and then became a philosopher, but never gave up her love of science here. There's even a set of photos of decidedly non-nerdy scientists here. My mind is officially blown. I love this trend. Its part of what I wrote a memoir to do. Real lives, real struggles, real balances, real choices form the grist that I believe every young student considering science wants and needs. Take a look. Even people who overcame all obstacles and persisted can find this meme inspiring!

cheers,

Laura

PS In the #IAmScience stream, I found this wonderful set of pictures of an Invert Bio class in the 1950's and 2009. I won't spoil the fun by saying any more, but you can view it yourself here. Hint: it involves Cindy Lee Van Dover, first scientist to pilot the small scientific submarine Alvin.

Comments
2  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

Hi Laura,
Yes, all my friends have been talking about this ever since that conference about science and social media. It's fun to keep checking back and seeing what new stuff is posted. Some 'normal science' types are using it to advert their stuff, though, which kinda makes me mad. Still a lot of fresh experiences coming, though.
Glad you posted about this.

Community

Oh no. Do I have to join Twitter after all? I have no time now, due to Facebook. But it does sound worthwhile. Maybe I'll just check out the ones you've posted instead. Or maybe they'll tempt me to jump in. I do love hearing the real story behind why people went into science.
SSW

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback