« Prev Next »
Women in Science
Moderated by  Laura Hoopes
Posted on: October 7, 2011
  |  
Posted By: Laura Hoopes

Ada Lovelace Day: Remember a Woman who Inspired You

Aa Aa Aa

My friend Charlotte recently sent me a reminder of October 7's special significance: it's Ada Lovelace Day. Today, you are invited to recall and acknowledge a woman who was a positive influence on you, inspired you.

Here's a blurb about it: "This Ada Lovelace Day on October 7, share your story about a woman — whether an engineer, a scientist, a technologist or mathematician — who has inspired you to become who you are today. Write a blog post, record a podcast, film a video, draw a comic, or pick any other way to talk about the women who have been guiding lights in your life. Give your heroine the credit she deserves!" You can read more at www.findingada.com.

I'll share something about Ann Lacy, my genetics professor at Goucher College. Ann was brilliant and demanding, but also supportive. She always expected our best, and if we didn't come up with it, she expressed disappointment. When we did our best, we got approval. When Ann retired, Goucher had a big party for her and about a hundred women she had mentored came back to Goucher to honor her, to speak about their current science, to reminisce, and to give her a farewell hug. Several of her scientific friends from Johns Hopkins and Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory also came to the event.

One of the things that inspired us was how clearly Ann Lacy was still a part of the scientific conversation, although she was teaching and doing her research at Goucher College with all undergraduates, no PhD students or postdocs. Back in those days, Ann had a technician who was paid from her NSF grant, and she continued her studies on the Neurospora crassa Td locus (tryptophan synthetase A and B both in one protein). I remember when one of the Johns Hopkins professors was writing a genetics text and he came out to confer with her about her data and to get her help in constructing a diagram of the gene. She often took us along to events at the Baltimore-Washington Molecular Biology Club or to nearby American Society for Microbiology meetings. There, she introduced us to the scientists she knew, which proved helpful when we were looking for graduate mentors. And she published her work regularly. She knew it was research and not just teaching, although mentoring us as we learned to ask research questions and design experiments, to college data and analyze it, and to write it up meant a lot to her too. She was probably the toughest editor I've ever had, although years later I wrote a textbook with Macmillan, using a lot of my knowledge from her classes as a foundation.

So, celebrate Ada Lovelace day by pointing out one of your female mentors, or if you don't see this until later, when Oct 7 has passed, still chime in. It's never too late to celebrate our heritage.

cheers,

Laura Hoopes

Comments
11  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

Buy Passport,Driver License,Age & ID Card,Visa: Website: https://realfakedocky.wordpress.com/

Buy high quality Real Passports, Visas, Driver's License ,ID CARDS, Marriage certificates, Diplomas, Birth Certificates, Credit cards, Utility bills, Social Security cards, Resident permits, Death certificates, Seaman cards, e.t.c

We are a team of highly experienced and sophisticated IT professionals with many years of experience in producing high quality documents of all categories.

We offer original high quality real and not real passports, driver driving, ID cards, stamps, birth certificates, diplomas, e.t.c for almost all countries in the world mostly countries like: US, AustrAalia, Belgium, Brazil, Norway, Canada, Italy, Finland, France, Germany, Israel, Mexico, Netherlands, South Africa, Spain, United Kingdom, e.t.c

This list is not complete.

For additional information and to place your order, just contact us by email, skype or phone.

email: (genuinedockies201@gmail.com)

whatsapp ....+237670725929

Skype Id: lugert2

Web Site: https://realfakedocky.wordpress.com/

Do not hesitate to contact us by email or call at any time and in any
discretion.

TOPICS:

BUY REAL AND Not-Real PASSPORTS:

Buy real and Not-Real USA passports
Buy real and Not-Real Australian passports
Buy real and Not-Real Belgian passports
Buy real and Not-Real Brazilian passports
Buy real and Not-Real Canadian passports
Buy real and not real French passports
Buy real and not real New Zealand passports
Buy real and not real German passports
Buy real and not real Dutch (Netherlands) passports
Buy real and not real Israeli passports
Buy real and not real UK (United Kingdom) passports
Buy real and not real Spanish passports
Buy real and not real Mexican passports
Buy real and not real South African passports
Buy real and not real Swiss (Switzerland) passports
Buy real and not real Chinese passports
Buy real and not real Austrian passports
Buy real and not real Japanese passports
Buy real and not real Ukrainian passports
Buy real and not real Cambodian passports
Buy real and not real Romanian passports
Buy real and not real Polish passports
Buy real and not real Bulgarian passports
Buy real and not real Moroccan passports
Buy real and not real Cyprus passports
Buy real and not real Norwegian passports
Buy real and not real Portuguese passports
Buy real and not real Lithuanian passports
Buy real and not real Russian passports
Buy real and not real Hungarian passports
Buy real and not real Brazilian passports
Buy real and not real Italian passports
Buy real and not real Jamaican passports
Buy real and not real South Korean passport
Buy real and not real Croatian passports
Buy real and not real Danish passports
Buy real and not real Malta passports
Buy real and not real Swedish passports

BUY REAL AND Not Real DRIVING LICENCE

Buy real and not real USA driver's license
Buy real and not real New Zealand driver's license
Buy real and not real German driver's license
Buy real and not real Dutch (Netherlands) driver's license
Buy real and not real Israeli driver's license
Buy real and not real UK (United Kingdom) driver's license
Buy real and not real Spanish driver's license
Buy real and not real Mexican driver's license
Buy real and not real South African driver's license
Buy real and not real Swiss (Switzerland) driver's license
Buy real and not real Chinese driver's license
Buy real and not real Austrian driver's license
Buy real and not real Japanese driver's license
Buy real and not real Ukrainian driver's license
Buy real and not real Cambodian driver's license
Buy real and not real Romanian driver's license
Buy real and not real Polish driver's license
Buy real and not real Bulgarian driver's license
Buy real and not real Moroccan driver's license
Buy real and not real Cyprus driver's license
Buy real and not real Norwegian driver's license
Buy real and not real Portuguese driver's license
Buy real and not real Lithuanian driver's license
Buy real and not real Russian driver's license
Buy real and not real Hungarian driver's license
Buy real and not real Brazilian driver's license
Buy real and not real Italian driver's license
Buy real and not real Jamaican driver's license
Buy real and not real South Korean driver's license
Buy real and not real Croatian driver's license
Buy real and not real Danish driver's license
Buy real and not real Malta driver's license
Buy real and not real Swedish driver's license

email: (genuinedockies201@gmail.com)

whatsapp ....+237670725929

Skype Id: lugert2

https://realfakedocky.wordpress.com/

Do not hesitate to contact us by email or call at any time and in any
discretion.

Community

Hi Marion,
Wow, you really faced a woman-desert! I hope the FF role didn't get too onerous all those years. I've had a few women I almost took a class with and did not, that I've regretted missing. But we have to live forward; time's arrow and all that. I love your attitude, still wanting to encourage young women scientists/mathematicians.
best,
Laura

Community

Laura,

Mary Sunseri was a freshman calculus teacher at Stanford. She was the only one of the math faculty without a PhD (although very late in life she completed her dissertation). I never had her for class, since I took honors calculus, and only long after I graduated (almost about the time she passed away) did I realize that whe was willing to offer mentorship to women. The concept was foreign to me as an undergrad, and since she wasn't a full faculty member I (stupidly) overlooked her.

I can't think of another woman faculty in the math, physics, or engineering schools I attended. Nor were their any where I worked for most of my career (downside of a small company). At work I was the "FF" as you term it.

Marian

Community

Hi Helen,

Yes, I recall Beazy from Yale and UCSB and she once came and spoke at Occidental College while I was professor over there. She used a slide from my one marine ecology paper! It happened to be on Gonyaulax, but it was a stretch. Kind of fun for my students, though, that she cited me. I recall visiting her in Santa Barbara and am sorry to hear Paul has died.

cheers,
Laura

Community

Hi Marian,
I'd be very surprised but also pleased if phys sci, math, and engineering women spoke up for women mentors. I had a great woman math teacher in high school, a Miss Whitlesey. She was tough but all the students appreciated how much she loved math and really could explain it six ways until almost everyone got it. I'd bet she inspired some people.
My bio subject Joan Steitz had a terrific math prof at her high school and she told me the same woman also taught the current head of the US Geological Survey, a woman scientist too. So high school math teachers can be pertty important! Did you have any women for math or sci at all?
cheers,
Laura

Community

Wow! Beazy Sweeney! Yes! A wonderful woman and a wonderful scientist, with 4 talented kids, too. Her second husband, Paul Lee, died this spring. I was a scientist of several yrs by the time I connected with Beazy at UCSB, so she was a wonderful colleague and friend to me.
I became a biochemist on account of my hi school chem teacher, Ms. Lindgren, I believe, who taught us from a college chem text by Sienko and Plane, and thought we were always going so slowly. I learned a lot from her. My mother says she had a PhD and had been an industrial chemist.

Community

Laura

I would be interested to see if you hear from many women in physical sciences and engineering about women mentors. I fear that they are far too few, even today.

Marian

Community

A lot of people benefitted from Harriet Creighton at Wellesley. You know she worked with Barbara McClintock on the experiment in corn that showed genes and chromosomes are inherited together. She was, like Ann Lacy, both demanding and full of positive expectations for our understanding. She was my best female mentor. I never had a woman in grad school.

Community

I had Ann Lacy too. Thanks for reminding me how carefully she held us to strong standards, while always maintaining that we COULD do it. Her confidence let to my own confidence. Thank you, Ann Lacy!

Community

Hi Small Sci Woman,
Yes, Beatrice was a lovely person and she was indeed someone who never thought, "Is this person I'm talking with worth talking science with?" Some of the profs were always assessing that worthiness factor, and when a woman tried to talk science, they slid aside and wouldn't really chew over the details.
cheers,
Laura

Community

Hi Laura,
I think you and I shared some mentorship by Beatrice Sweeney, brilliant scientist who studied red tide organisms among others. She was very easy-going but when she got talking about science, her eyes would sparkle and her mind would function a light speed. I always felt like she had an extra mental gear that I was lacking, but I loved seeing her get so into what she was thinking about. She was always ready to talk science with anyone, and that made her a great friend for a woman scientist.

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback