Women in Science
Moderated by  Laura Hoopes
Posted on: August 3, 2013
  |  
Posted By: Laura Hoopes

Women in Science in Google Doodles

Aa Aa Aa
Hi friends of women in science,

Do you pay attention to the Google Doodles that come up when you start to use Google to search, etc? Lately they've had some with good relevance to women in science. They did a nice one for Rosalind Franklin's birthday (and I got a copy from about twenty people, who know how much I care about women in science issues!).
Also, recently they did the birthday of Maria Mitchell, a famous astronomer. The authors of Half the Sky, which we've discussed on this forum eaerlier, highlighted that Maria Mitchell was honored on her 195th birthday. She discovered a comet in 1847. Mitchell was a Vassar professor, and for those of you who follow equal pay issues, she got a raise from the Vassar adminstration when she found out her salary was lower than her male colleagues' salaries.
As you probably realize, it's still legal for businesses to make it a fireable offense to share salary comparisons!
Keep an eye on Google, and thanks to them for highlighting such praiseworthy women in science!
cheers,
Laura
Comments
4  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

Dear Sonia: Thank you for always being a remarkable role model for all of us. Georgie

Community

I occasionally pay attention to the google doodles, and have appreciated the women-in-science series. Thanks for sharing the information about Maria Mitchell's fight for fair pay at Vassar. Still an issue in many places!

Community

Hi Dee,
Yes, at Goucher we had a lot of women in bio, and two men. And no women in physics. The chair of chem was a woman, Belle Otto. The rest were all men until I was about to graduate, when they hired Brownlee, a biochemist. Times were a-changin!

cheers,
Laura

Community

Laura---
Geez, and Vassar was a women's college at the time. When we were in college, they (I hope) must have been fairer to women because we had a lot of women profs in science. Well, not in physics, but in bio. And one, or was it two in chemistry? Anyway, it was not just one woman against the world!

cheers,
DRC

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback