Women in Science
Moderated by  Laura Hoopes
Posted on: February 6, 2013
  |  
Posted By: Laura Hoopes

Five Women Among New National Medal of Science Winners

Aa Aa Aa

Dear friends of women in science,

The National Medal of Science awardees were recently announced by President Obama (read more here). Selections included one company, seventeen men of science, and five women. Here are the women:

Sallie W. Chisholm, MIT, photosynthetic marine organism research, microbial oceanography.

Sandra M. Fisher, UC Santa Cruz, extragalactic astronomy and galaxy formation.

Lucy Shapiro, Stanford, the cell as an integrated genetic circuit.

Anne Triesman, Princeton, attentional limits in the human brain.

Frances Arnold, California Institute of Technology, biofuels to reduce pollution.

I also note Leroy Hood was selected. I was shocked that he had not been award the medal earlier in his career, but glad to see he was recognized.

We have often discussed the number or percentage of women selected for recognition in various ways. What do you think, is 5 out of 22 awardees here a reasonable balance?

cheers,
Laura

Comments
3  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

Hi Narabeth,
I think I'd love to see more. I do think the White House is trying. On the Melissa Harris-Perry show (see the later posting on that), she had a message encouraging girls to pursue STEM careers from Michelle Obama, and it was eloquent and convincing, I thought.
cheers,
Laura

Community

Dear Laura,

I don't find 22% women to be a very impressive achievement, when the administration seeks to be inclusive according to it. The White House Council on Girls and Women to the contrary notwithstanding, these actions speak louder than claims and clamour. We should expect better from the Obama administration if it really stands for open doors and diversity of voices.
However, that said, it still beats NAS, with its long-term 10% women.

NRB

Community

Hi Laura,
As usual, the issue is whomever the recommendations come from thinks first of men, although I might expect better from the Obama administration. This list isn't bad, but it isn't good either and I would want it to be good. What about 30% women, or even 50% women? Not hard if women come to mind easily!
Livi M

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback