« Prev Next »
Women in Science
Moderated by  Laura Hoopes
Posted on: November 16, 2010
  |  
Posted By: Laura Hoopes

What Is Science Policy Work?

Aa Aa Aa
Jennifer Gordon is a 2010-2011 AAAS Science and Technology Policy fellow in the office of the Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response under the Department of Health and Human Services. Her new duties include helping the US become better prepared to mitigate the public health consequences of emerging infectious disease epidemics. Jennifer was awarded her PhD in Molecular Microbiology and Microbial Pathogenesis from Washington University in St. Louis in 2007 and completed her postdoctoral fellowship at UCLA in the Division of Microbiology, Immunology, and Molecular Genetics in 2010. Here are her thoughts:

It has been about 2 1/2 months since I made the career change from academic postdoc to AAAS Science and Technology Policy fellow, and I will not lie, the learning curve has been STEEP! One of the questions I am frequently asked by scientists interested in applying for the fellowship program is "What is science policy? What does it look like in action?" Science Policy really addresses two different themes: policy for science and science for policy. Policy for science is probably what most scientists think of when they think of "science policy". It revolves around questions on how to fund science, and how to create goals for scientific research. In contrast, science for policy is more about how scientific evidence can contribute to the decision-making process. For example, how can we measure the environmental effects of the Gulf Oil Spill to influence future legislation addressing offshore oil drilling? How can we use scientific collaborations with other nations to improve diplomatic relations? How can we improve the success of women and minorities in science and technology fields?

I think what most people don't realize is that they do not have to come to Washington to make a difference. Scientists can get involved in policy every day through their universities, professional organizations, and local governments.

Who do you know that uses their background in science to make a difference in their community?

Have you ever tried to influence decision-makers by sharing your experience as a scientist?

If not, what keeps you from getting involved?

Questions?

Comments
14  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

I rather say, that scientists must involved in policy every day through their universities, professional organizations, and local governments. It is a big help for our government, organizations that scientists shows on how scientific evidences are important.

DUI Attorney Minneapolis

Community

Hi Scifeminista, Laura is right. Here is a link to the AWIS in action newsletter:

http://myemail.constantcontact.com/AWIS-in-Action--November-2010.html?soid=1101501070140&aid=VYLRhHvZiLU

Hope that helps!

Community

Hi Scifeminista,
I'd recommend signing up to get the AWIS newsletters that highlight upcoming legislation along with other happenings of interest to women in science. You get this automatically if you join AWIS. I'm not sure if you can get it by email if you're not a member. It comes from Alice Popejoy at popejoy@awis.org.
cheers,
Laura

Community

OK, I can bookmark the sites for my congressional reps. I just hope I remember to buzz them when it matters. Anyone want to recommend a good site for reminders to women in science of upcoming legislation?

Community

Here are my congressional representatives:
Senator Barbara Boxer:
boxer.senate.gov/en/contact (uses a form to connect to her email)
Senator Dianne Feinstein:
http://feinstein.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=ContactUs.Emailme
(also uses a form to connect to her email)
Representative David Dreier
http://dreier.house.gov/contact.shtml (also uses a form to connect to his email)

Why do these people use a form? So they can collect your contact information and the issue of interest to you. They later send you email when they act on similar issues (or when they are running for re-election).
cheers,
Laura

Community

I'm willing to put those emails in my outlook contacts and to contact them when there's an issue I might have special expertise in. One small step...

Community

Hi Jenny,
Kind words to educators, but I think we might challenge ourselves to do more, as you implied. How many of us know our Representative and Senators? Have their email addresses handy? Have contacted one or all of them in the past year about something to do with science? I think I can do more myself. I am willing to commit to getting all three email addresses in my address book by December, and to emailing all three about keeping the funding for science innovation. I am not really an expert in that, but I know that when the NSF and NIH budgets are cut to the bone, women and faculty at small college suffer, and that makes it harder for them to educate the next generation.
Thanks for the gentle nudge, Jenny!
cheers,
Laura

Community

One more note - I want to emphasize that people who do lend their time and expertise to education and outreach programs are amazing and I do not mean to imply otherwise! The job we do cultivating the next generation of scientists, mathmaticians, and engineers will be our legacy as scientists and as a nation. BUT, we can and should do more, and people like Laura Hoopes, who run a forum discussing concerns and questions among women in science are shining examples of how we start those conversations and use them as seeds for change.

Community

@Laura, @R1 Woman, and @Small Science Woman

I think public outreach is incredibly important, but I don’t think we should limit our understanding of the impact we can make only to science education outreach. Your voice and your expertise are SO valuable, and it isn’t fair to assume that people outside your scientific field can’t understand or appreciate how your work affects the field/ the community/ the economy/ public health/ the world.

For example, if you study aerospace engineering, and your senator voted against funding for deep space flight initiatives that you think are critical to advancing and sustaining the US Space Program, get involved! Become part of those conversations. You know why it is important. It is your life’s work!

You don’t have to travel to D.C. Sometimes it is as easy as writing a letter to your representative or making a phone call. One of the easiest ways to get involved is through professional organizations. For example, if you are a member of the American Society for Cell Biology, contact their public policy office and say you want to be involved. I am sure they do work that incites your passions, and you might not know those activities even existed (ex. AAAS Science and Human Rights Program)!

Hold a research symposium at your university and invite your congressperson to attend. Let them know that high quality research is being done in their district and that if they need to make decisions that pertain to your area of expertise, you are available to inform them with un-biased, scientific facts.

I guess my take home is that you have a voice as a scientist, not just as an educator. You can use that voice as much or as little as you want. Just get involved!

Community

Hi Everyone, Thanks for all the responses!

@postdoc girl: I definitely am trying to change career directions. I really like being involved in the policy realm. Policy work allows me to to see how numerous disciplines fit together to inform the decision-making process. For example, microbiologists, pharmacologists, pediatricians, industry partners, etc... all need to come together in one instance to solve problems. It's a fantastic feeling to be part of the "bigger picture".

The AAAS fellowship is an amazing opportunity for scientists trying to get their feet wet in policy. They provide networking opportunities and career development seminars that will develop the skills you need to get a job once the fellowship is over. They do not guarantee you a job, but the network you develop as a fellow is priceless. I encourage anyone interested in policy to check out the AAAS program! If you have more questions, find me on LinkedIn and I would be happy to discuss it more detail!

Community

Hi Jenny,
I've never shared my expertise with adults, but I have with K-12 kids as my own kids grew up and passed through classes that seemed to need some help in science. I'd think 'big science' people would be more credible delivering messages to congress and such. Although I think I went once with Jeanne Narum to visit congressional aides, through Project Kaleidoscope. It's now a part of the American Association of Colleges and Universities, I believe. The aides were young, just older than my students, and they seemed confused about why we were there.
cheers,
Laura

Community

Laura, a lot of the people you've covered in the educator highlights section of Cell Bio Education/Life Sci Education magazine do great outreach.

Jenny, do you mean people like that? For example Bob Full, who does biomechanics, does a huge amount with K-12 kids in addition to his teaching at Berkeley.

Community

Everyone who judges the science fair uses their background in science to make a difference, but I'm not sure that's what you mean. A lot of profs I know teach science special demonstrations in their kids' classes too. I'm impressed with what Sally Ride does, but it doesn't seem to be nearby so we just do more ad hoc things.

Community

Hi Jennifer,
What are your plans after your internship? Is this a real switch in direction for you or just a time out from bench science? If you're changing direction, does AAAS help you find a more permanent policy analysis position?

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback