Women in Science
Moderated by  Laura Hoopes
Posted on: May 22, 2012
  |  
Posted By: Laura Hoopes

Survey: Women Losing Ground as CIOs in Industry

Aa Aa Aa

Dear friends of women in science,

We've talked a lot about Sheryl Sandburg at Facebook and about trends that might show a new interest in CS by women. But the British technology recruiters Graham Nash just published a survey that was covered in Forbes Woman on May 14. Only 9% of the CIOs at major corporations today are women. That's bad enough, but it's going in the wrong direction too. There were 12% two years ago and 11% last year. Negative trend, slow steady erosion. Forbes Woman quoted Reuters, the British news service, to the effect that 30 % of American technology executives polled told the pollsters that there's no one in the pipeline; there are no women at all in management of IT at their sites.

However, these men in IT didn't think there was much of a problem with that. About half of them, asked if women were under-represented in IT management, said no. The author of the article did have a problem with it, and hoped to show that by focusing on the top companies, the survey had over-represented the problem. However, checking with Graham Nash revealed that it was from a sampling of 450 companies ranging from startups to the giants with familiar names. Bob Miano, president of Harvey Nash USA, assured Forbes Woman that startups were no better than the big guys but he says they are "less interested in diversity than many of his older, more established clients who often put major emphasis on recruiting female talent."

The writer, who routinely covers women in technology, knows of firms like Joyus and Fab, with women CIOs. Women are currently starting businesses at 150% of the national average. Just having women reach the top at Facebook, Xerox, and Oracle isn't enough. These people succeed, but do girls considering a career find them to serve as role models? And does it matter if they do? The article ends with that question. So, what do we think about that? How much does an eroding percent of women in CIO positions matter? Will it start a vicious circle?

cheers,
Laura

Comments
4  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

I'm sad to hear so few voices saying it's shocking. I had hoped that even if the production of women trained in CS had fallen, we could maintain ITS leadership in industry where it was already present. But, I guess it's more challenging than I thought.
Best,
Laura

Community

Hi Laura,

I am sad to hear this, but it isn't really a shock. There's a lot of turnover in these jobs, and not many women in the pool to be chosen. And the men! Ay, yi, yi! Well, I hope the few places where things are better for women can be highly successful so that overall things will improve. The mess about the IPO for Facebook is giving me the shivers. Can they blame it on Sheryl Sandburg? I hope not.

Mireille

Community

THAT'S what I'm talking about. Yes. I'm so sorry, but that's the way my field welcomes women. Not gonna go away without a struggle, that's for sure.
Ex CS

Community

Dear Laura,

How women are doing depends on the environment, so if it's good, they're thriving. If it's essence of geek teenaged boys, it's impossible for women to stand it for long. So the data are microgranular: some places work well for women, some don't work at all. And since men don't even have women's success or failure on their screens, along with computer games and graphic novels, progress is mighty tough. In big companies, as he said, pressure comes from the non-IT management and people will comply. But it's not rising innately from the men in the field. So many are from countries where women have NO rights and NO education, that contributes to the problems. I'm not surprised at these results, although I too know of exceptions.
BB

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback