Women in Science
Moderated by  Laura Hoopes
Posted on: February 7, 2011
  |  
Posted By: Ilona Miko

Laura Hoopes - Upcoming Memoir

Aa Aa Aa

Dear WIS readers,

We would like you all to know that our moderator Laura Hoopes will be releasing a memoir this year, called "Breaking Through the Spiral Ceiling." This memoir is about Laura's path in science, and the process of overcoming the bias and barriers on her way to becoming a professor. She covers the challenges of maintaining career-family balance while still maintaining an active and creative research lfie.

Because this forum discusses the very issues Laura has dealt with throughout her life, and as described in her memoir, we wanted to announce the release to you. Starting May 2 2011, the book will be available on Amazon and also via orders at Barnes and Noble and other bookstores.

We would also like to announce that Laura will be speaking about her life as a woman in science, including reading from her book, at Oxford College of Emory University in Atlanta on the evening of Feb 10, 2011 (Host: Prof Amanda Pendleton), Williams Hall, 7 pm.

Comments
7  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

Sounds like your talk went well, Laura, way to go. I am poised to buy the book on Amazon when it's released. I know I'll find some examples to use when people say, there was not really any discrimination against women in science, it's all just about claiming to be a victim. Ugh!

Community

I know my students would like to read about the life of a woman who did science and also married and had children, so I'm looking forward to it.

Community

Hi friends,

Tonight I gave a big public lecture in the Williams Hall (remodeled old gym) at Emory/Oxford College and got some very interesting questions following the lecture. One was, "What did you enjoy most about science?" That reminded me how much I've enjoyed staining cells for specific molecules with fluorescent antibodies, and then looking to see where the target of the antibody occurs inside the cell. Not only is this like opening a surprise package, but it's aesthetically appealing too.

I've also been thrilled by finding predictions by me and/or my students were fulfilled, but the whole package of immediately finding out where something occurs inside a cell was the one I picked to describe.

Oxford College of Emory University has a wonderfully diverse and open student body. I also had lunch in the dining hall with a group of students and my host, Dr. Amanda Pendleton, and the lively conversation was both stimulating and enjoyable. I love the undergraduate research-like aspect of some of their introductory biology laboratory work.

cheers,
Laura

Community

Hi Postdoc Cat,

Sure, after the May 2 release I will post something inviting your comments and questions.

I almost didn't get to the first reading; my Dallas flight was cancelled due to weather, but they got me on the next plane luckily so I'm still on track to get there.

cheers,
Laura

Community

I'm looking forward to it. Can we ask you questions about it on this forum, once it's out?

Community

Wish I was nearby. It would be fun to hear you read!

Community

Thanks Ilona, and thanks to Nature Education. I'm very excited about my book release, and about speaking at Oxford College of Emory University on Thursday. If any of you are nearby, you are welcome to come (it's open to the public). If you do, please come up afterwards and say hello.

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback