Women in Science
Moderated by  Laura Hoopes
Posted on: February 15, 2012
  |  
Posted By: Laura Hoopes

Salary Survey from The Scientist

Aa Aa Aa

Dear Friends of Women in Science,

In the Nov/Dec issue, The Scientist published a salary survey they conducted in spring-early summer, 2011. The data were analyzed on various dimensions, one of which was gender.

They broke out the gender data by education level. For medical doctorates, men averaged 190K and women 140K dollars per annum. For MD/PhDs, men averaged 156K and women 68K. For doctorates in science and engineering, men averaged 99K and women 76K. For bachelors men averaged 73K, women 67K. For masters', men averaged 54K and women 51K.

The authors of the article attributed the huge discrepancy for MD/PhDs to the very low numbers of respondents among females with this degree. It is a self-reported voluntary survey. The trend is not surprising, though. Women simply don't get paid as much for similar levels of training.

Part of the difference may come from the difficulty women have in progressing through the ranks to the top, the glass ceiling effect. A social scientist who compared exact ranks would tend to subtract out such a difference, but it shows that a problem still exists in fair and equal treatment of women in terms of pay equity.

What do you think?

cheers,

Laura

Comments
9  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

Buy Passport,Driver License,Age & ID Card,Visa: Website: https://realfakedocky.wordpress.com/

Buy high quality Real Passports, Visas, Driver's License ,ID CARDS, Marriage certificates, Diplomas, Birth Certificates, Credit cards, Utility bills, Social Security cards, Resident permits, Death certificates, Seaman cards, e.t.c

We are a team of highly experienced and sophisticated IT professionals with many years of experience in producing high quality documents of all categories.

We offer original high quality real and not real passports, driver driving, ID cards, stamps, birth certificates, diplomas, e.t.c for almost all countries in the world mostly countries like: US, AustrAalia, Belgium, Brazil, Norway, Canada, Italy, Finland, France, Germany, Israel, Mexico, Netherlands, South Africa, Spain, United Kingdom, e.t.c

This list is not complete.

For additional information and to place your order, just contact us by email, skype or phone.

email: (genuinedockies201@gmail.com)

whatsapp ....+237670725929

Skype Id: lugert2

Web Site: https://realfakedocky.wordpress.com/

Do not hesitate to contact us by email or call at any time and in any
discretion.

TOPICS:

BUY REAL AND Not-Real PASSPORTS:

Buy real and Not-Real USA passports
Buy real and Not-Real Australian passports
Buy real and Not-Real Belgian passports
Buy real and Not-Real Brazilian passports
Buy real and Not-Real Canadian passports
Buy real and not real French passports
Buy real and not real New Zealand passports
Buy real and not real German passports
Buy real and not real Dutch (Netherlands) passports
Buy real and not real Israeli passports
Buy real and not real UK (United Kingdom) passports
Buy real and not real Spanish passports
Buy real and not real Mexican passports
Buy real and not real South African passports
Buy real and not real Swiss (Switzerland) passports
Buy real and not real Chinese passports
Buy real and not real Austrian passports
Buy real and not real Japanese passports
Buy real and not real Ukrainian passports
Buy real and not real Cambodian passports
Buy real and not real Romanian passports
Buy real and not real Polish passports
Buy real and not real Bulgarian passports
Buy real and not real Moroccan passports
Buy real and not real Cyprus passports
Buy real and not real Norwegian passports
Buy real and not real Portuguese passports
Buy real and not real Lithuanian passports
Buy real and not real Russian passports
Buy real and not real Hungarian passports
Buy real and not real Brazilian passports
Buy real and not real Italian passports
Buy real and not real Jamaican passports
Buy real and not real South Korean passport
Buy real and not real Croatian passports
Buy real and not real Danish passports
Buy real and not real Malta passports
Buy real and not real Swedish passports

BUY REAL AND Not Real DRIVING LICENCE

Buy real and not real USA driver's license
Buy real and not real New Zealand driver's license
Buy real and not real German driver's license
Buy real and not real Dutch (Netherlands) driver's license
Buy real and not real Israeli driver's license
Buy real and not real UK (United Kingdom) driver's license
Buy real and not real Spanish driver's license
Buy real and not real Mexican driver's license
Buy real and not real South African driver's license
Buy real and not real Swiss (Switzerland) driver's license
Buy real and not real Chinese driver's license
Buy real and not real Austrian driver's license
Buy real and not real Japanese driver's license
Buy real and not real Ukrainian driver's license
Buy real and not real Cambodian driver's license
Buy real and not real Romanian driver's license
Buy real and not real Polish driver's license
Buy real and not real Bulgarian driver's license
Buy real and not real Moroccan driver's license
Buy real and not real Cyprus driver's license
Buy real and not real Norwegian driver's license
Buy real and not real Portuguese driver's license
Buy real and not real Lithuanian driver's license
Buy real and not real Russian driver's license
Buy real and not real Hungarian driver's license
Buy real and not real Brazilian driver's license
Buy real and not real Italian driver's license
Buy real and not real Jamaican driver's license
Buy real and not real South Korean driver's license
Buy real and not real Croatian driver's license
Buy real and not real Danish driver's license
Buy real and not real Malta driver's license
Buy real and not real Swedish driver's license

email: (genuinedockies201@gmail.com)

whatsapp ....+237670725929

Skype Id: lugert2

https://realfakedocky.wordpress.com/

Do not hesitate to contact us by email or call at any time and in any
discretion.

Community

Hi Christi,
I recall taking the salary survey and it's purely self-selected and voluntary as you suspected. That's how they can get anomalies like the one that probably underlies the strange MD/PhD comparison data for men and women. So, it's not like the carefully collected government data, etc, that you and your coauthor relied on in Why So Few. Its only value is it is more recent. However, I agree that being less reliable is not a super trade-off.
cheers,
Laura

Community

Just one more thing Laura -

I should add that without seeing the details of the survey, it's hard to know how much this data means. If the survey is just online for folks who are interested to take, these numbers may mean very little. If there was an attempt to get a random sample though, the data could mean much more. It's hard to know how much credence to give the numbers without knowing how the survey was conducted. I'm looking forward to seeing the article when it becomes available online.

Thanks again,
Christi

Community

Laura,

This is really interesting and dispiriting data! I'm really surprised by the MD/PhD difference but also by the difference between men and women with master's degrees. I would love to see the details of the survey, but this issue is not on The Scientist website yet. At AAUW we work on pay equity issues quite a bit, and I'm just in the middle of analyzing some data on gender differences in pay for college graduates one year after graduation. Overall, there is about a 20% gap between men and women's pay one year out of college. There continues to be an unexplained pay difference even after controlling for factors known to affect earnings (like major, occupation, selectivity of school, GPA, etc.). Social science researchers generally attribute this unexplained difference to discrimination since discrimination can't be measured directly.

Thanks for sharing this important (and depressing) information.

Christi

Community

It's not possible to tell from the way the data is presented whether women are really being paid less for equal work. Basing a salary on training level, regardless of gender identity should be a given (anything else is illegal, isn't it?) but any additional salary gains. which are based on performance, are subjective -- and therefore hard to judge. As a boss you're going to pay the people you like to work with more than other people. How people like each other is based on ALL KINDS of parameters -- including, unfortunately, how you treat people according to their gender identity. In fact -- it would be a fair test to compare these results with those for homosexuals -- do lesbians get paid more? do gay men get paid less? because the bosses are generally heterosexual men?

Community

Hi Laura,
I hate this, especially since it's about life sciences, where women have made great strides in approaching and sometimes reaching numerical parity. The worst part is the MD/PhD discrepancy. So many years of hard work, and then lower pay? I hope it's an anomaly. I'm depressed, even though I don't care a lot about money. It's being undervalued forever that sounds so bad.
Postdoc cat

Community

Hi Lucia and Melissa,
I think you're both right. There is a problem with promotion and there is no way to see that in the data we got. And like Melissa, I suspect that the data contain the promotion problem and also more pay for men at the same level as women. But the overall message is, women are not getting a fair shake in terms of workplace compensation. It's frustrating.
best,
Laura

Community

Hi Laura,

I don't think we can know from this survey how comparable or not comparable the ranks are of these women. If they are exactly comparable, and this discrepancy exists, then there is clearly a big problem. So I have to reserve judgement. I would guess that the rank issue is only a part of the problem, just going from government (DOL) data.

MKS

Community

Hi Laura,
I look at the data on full professors whenever it comes out, and the presidents of biotech companies, and women just don't get a fair shake in being promoted. So how can I say the pay difference is fair? It would only be fair if women had an equal chance to be in these highly paid top ranks.

LP

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback