Women in Science
Other Topics
« Prev Next »
Women in Science
Moderated by  Laura Hoopes
Posted on: October 19, 2011
  |  
Posted By: Laura Hoopes

If you had 100 million to spend to help women in science...

Aa Aa Aa
Dear friends of women in science,
Recently, I had coffee with a friend and he asked me what women in science needed most. I argued for increased funding for science in general, especially for NSF, because when it is pinched, sometimes women get the short end of the stick. So he challenged me by asking, if he could get me 100 million dollars somehow to help women in science, what would I do?
It was hard for me to take that seriously since it is highly unlikely, but then I thought if we had a favorite strategy to use with such a sum, perhaps we could work on it piecemeal with whatever funding is available. So, given the responses to the NSF's new programs from a month ago, I said that a program to support women during/after childbirth with a postdoc and a technician plus supplies would be my top priority. Then, I'd try to leverage the founding and opening to grad students and postdocs of child care centers at every major university where they train the next generation of scientists in the US.
Now I'd like to hear what you would suggest, if given such a huge sum to address our issues. I feel that my ideas may focus too much on child-related events. What else do we need?
cheers,
Laura
Comments
12  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

Buy Passport,Driver License,Age & ID Card,Visa: Website: https://realfakedocky.wordpress.com/

Buy high quality Real Passports, Visas, Driver's License ,ID CARDS, Marriage certificates, Diplomas, Birth Certificates, Credit cards, Utility bills, Social Security cards, Resident permits, Death certificates, Seaman cards, e.t.c

We are a team of highly experienced and sophisticated IT professionals with many years of experience in producing high quality documents of all categories.

We offer original high quality real and not real passports, driver driving, ID cards, stamps, birth certificates, diplomas, e.t.c for almost all countries in the world mostly countries like: US, AustrAalia, Belgium, Brazil, Norway, Canada, Italy, Finland, France, Germany, Israel, Mexico, Netherlands, South Africa, Spain, United Kingdom, e.t.c

This list is not complete.

For additional information and to place your order, just contact us by email, skype or phone.

email: (genuinedockies201@gmail.com)

whatsapp ....+237670725929

Skype Id: lugert2

Web Site: https://realfakedocky.wordpress.com/

Do not hesitate to contact us by email or call at any time and in any
discretion.

TOPICS:

BUY REAL AND Not-Real PASSPORTS:

Buy real and Not-Real USA passports
Buy real and Not-Real Australian passports
Buy real and Not-Real Belgian passports
Buy real and Not-Real Brazilian passports
Buy real and Not-Real Canadian passports
Buy real and not real French passports
Buy real and not real New Zealand passports
Buy real and not real German passports
Buy real and not real Dutch (Netherlands) passports
Buy real and not real Israeli passports
Buy real and not real UK (United Kingdom) passports
Buy real and not real Spanish passports
Buy real and not real Mexican passports
Buy real and not real South African passports
Buy real and not real Swiss (Switzerland) passports
Buy real and not real Chinese passports
Buy real and not real Austrian passports
Buy real and not real Japanese passports
Buy real and not real Ukrainian passports
Buy real and not real Cambodian passports
Buy real and not real Romanian passports
Buy real and not real Polish passports
Buy real and not real Bulgarian passports
Buy real and not real Moroccan passports
Buy real and not real Cyprus passports
Buy real and not real Norwegian passports
Buy real and not real Portuguese passports
Buy real and not real Lithuanian passports
Buy real and not real Russian passports
Buy real and not real Hungarian passports
Buy real and not real Brazilian passports
Buy real and not real Italian passports
Buy real and not real Jamaican passports
Buy real and not real South Korean passport
Buy real and not real Croatian passports
Buy real and not real Danish passports
Buy real and not real Malta passports
Buy real and not real Swedish passports

BUY REAL AND Not Real DRIVING LICENCE

Buy real and not real USA driver's license
Buy real and not real New Zealand driver's license
Buy real and not real German driver's license
Buy real and not real Dutch (Netherlands) driver's license
Buy real and not real Israeli driver's license
Buy real and not real UK (United Kingdom) driver's license
Buy real and not real Spanish driver's license
Buy real and not real Mexican driver's license
Buy real and not real South African driver's license
Buy real and not real Swiss (Switzerland) driver's license
Buy real and not real Chinese driver's license
Buy real and not real Austrian driver's license
Buy real and not real Japanese driver's license
Buy real and not real Ukrainian driver's license
Buy real and not real Cambodian driver's license
Buy real and not real Romanian driver's license
Buy real and not real Polish driver's license
Buy real and not real Bulgarian driver's license
Buy real and not real Moroccan driver's license
Buy real and not real Cyprus driver's license
Buy real and not real Norwegian driver's license
Buy real and not real Portuguese driver's license
Buy real and not real Lithuanian driver's license
Buy real and not real Russian driver's license
Buy real and not real Hungarian driver's license
Buy real and not real Brazilian driver's license
Buy real and not real Italian driver's license
Buy real and not real Jamaican driver's license
Buy real and not real South Korean driver's license
Buy real and not real Croatian driver's license
Buy real and not real Danish driver's license
Buy real and not real Malta driver's license
Buy real and not real Swedish driver's license

email: (genuinedockies201@gmail.com)

whatsapp ....+237670725929

Skype Id: lugert2

https://realfakedocky.wordpress.com/

Do not hesitate to contact us by email or call at any time and in any
discretion.

Community

Hi Susan and Helen,
I agree that the need goes beyond childcare; I suspect the Ceci and Williams report is the root of many people's current focus on that issue, including my own. In some ways, giving out local grants to address gender issues, which would allow for local ideas to come out and be tried, might be good if the ideas were widely disseminated. That might help with some of the leaks Susan is pointing towards.

But I must confess I love the idea Helen is proposing, to begin NSF/NIH enforcement of equity, with a phase in period. Wow! It does (sadly) increase spending for bureaucracy, so it would be attacked on that basis, but it has a real chance of succeeding.

cheers,
Laura

Community

I would take a very different view on how to spend that money for long term change. Supporting women who want children is important, but it isn't guaranteed to change things in the long term.

I suggest that the money be used to set up a parity compliance branch of the NIH and NSF. This compliance group would establish standards for parity for faculty at all institutions receiving money from those funding sources. Institutions would have to provide data showing that they meet these compliance standards on a graded basis over the next ten years (I like 5 but 10 is more realistic as long as they meet their milestones). Failure to meet the milestones and comply with the standards will result in termination of all government funding to that institution...period...

That would effect long term change at its source. When your institution's money is on the line, watch the old boys dance!

Community

I agree that the focus on academia and childbirth is too narrow. And problem in academia is NOT just childbirth, or else happily childless women (and there are many of us) would be doing just as well as men. And we're not.

I totally support day care and maternity leave, etc, but I think it's foolish to conclude that all of women's issues are limited to childbearing. And I worry that if we imply that, "they" will think that if they build more daycare, all will be well. and it won't.
 In the case of life sciences, the "problem" is not a small pool of interested students. Back when i was a graduate student at MIT in the 1980s, half my PhD class was women. And that's been typical for years. That's not a pipeline problem. However, now, as a full professor at a major university, I don't see my peer cohort being half women. So where did they go?

Phoebe Leboy did an interesting study that showed that academic biology hemorrhages its women at every step. If I recall correctly, although the numbers of women in the physical sciences were many fewer, they tended to "stay in" proportionately, much better. Perhaps Phoebe can comment on that.  

Community

I believe the focus of many of the comments might be a bit narrow -- academia and childbirth. (I don't believe most physical scientists and engineers end up in academia, and even many biologist are employed elsewhere.)

A much bigger problem than supporting women who have children is getting girls to study science in the first place. And, I thoroughly agree with Susan that we need to change attitudes, which we all know is hard to do. Sheer numbers may be the only solution.

A million dollars won't be a drop in the bucket, but I would put the money on pre-teens and teens, teaching them how wonderful STEM fields are. Use women role models and encourage the girls as well as the boys.

I was fortunate to grow up in a post-sputnick era, where everyone seemed desparate to bring in more science professionals. I was fortunate to be able to participate in summer school programs (now non-existant), programs associated with museums (most now defunct), and to be offered advanced science (enrichment programs) in all grades (which rarely happen due to funding problems), all at no cost to my family. I would love to see that era in science replicated.

We need to get more girls into the pipeline. Once they are there, I think solving the problems of keeping them will become easier.

Marian

Community

Of course the biggest problem is attitude change... if men were actually going 50:50, children's daycare would be a problem for both parents, not just the mommies. Anyhow... Yes, I think accessible (money and distance from work) daycare is a priority, as well as grants for early-career women. A former boss of mine said that although he tries very hard not to think about it, when he is choosing a posdoc is difficult not to think that she might get pregnant and valuable time will be lost. I had a kid during my posdoc but, as I was on an external grant and my direct boss didn't have to spend his money during the month I took after my baby was born, he did not complain or worry that much either. So maybe something in that direction? I'm from Mexico and under the federal global insurance system I was also paid for a total of three months (1.5 before, 1.5 after) when I had my second and last child. Again, as my institute did not have to spend any money for me, they were not as panicky. Most of the salary of researches in Mexico comes from an stipend from the government, for which you have to show what you'd done in the past year. Normally that implies a certain number of publications and grad students as well as classes, etc. The rules are flexible in very few cases, namely when you move to a different institution or when you have a child. I think this also works towards women not feeling they'll get punished for having kids.
Besides the family situation, I would go for helping women go to congresses and seminars, not only when they're speakers but also just as participants. If you play your cards right it's a great opportunity to make valuable contacts. Also, I would try to get little girls involved in science camps or visit research facilities... in Hanover, Germany, they have the "girls day" where girls go to see women at work.

Community

Hi Susan,
Cultural change is tough and since they're still bombing in Ireland, I have a sinking feeling that centuries may pass before there's NO difference in treatment. But I love the idea of a fund specifically to invite women speakers to meetings, etc. I wonder if it would be considered legal? I always think a clever lawyer can make anything work if told it MUSt be done, but can try to tell you it can't be done if he/she feels no pressure. That's the way lawyers worked for me when I was VP. They would start by saying we must not do affirmative action. I would respond that I wanted to see cases that had been lost to establish that legal precedent. When they couldn't give any, or the ones they had were far afield from what we wanted to do, I'd ask them to legally structure what we planned. They would. Today's admin does NOT approach it that way. They take the first NO as final, sadly.
cheers,
Laura

Community

My career was never affected by children (never had 'em, never wanted 'em) yet, I don't think I was treated equally especially early on. I always felt that the aggressive young male colleagues I knew, were given access to a rulebook and support system that was invisible to me. I don't know how you use money to change a culture that includes comments such as these, which I have either experienced, overheard, or been told about, by women colleagues over the years:

She doesn't need as much salary as a man, she doesn't have a family*It doesn't matter if she gets promoted, her husband has a job*We know you haven't been given the same startup as the men, but no one will ever know you didn't and so you will be judged the same*in response to a senior professor highlighting the work of his woman postdoc he MUST be sleeping with her, no woman can be that good*Women postdocs have an unfair advantage on the job hunt*WHy aren't you living with a man yet?

Many of these reflect a "zero sum game" of funding, where men feel threatened that the competitive pool is larger, so I'd use the money to do two things: increase grant support overall, and provide funding to invite women scientists as seminar speakers and meeting participants. Exposure is hugely important, and too often, women get ignored in these critical opportunities.

Community

Interesting ideas everyone! Yes, data collection could be more extensive and frequent. We've asked for studies on this forum from time to time. And lawsuits, wow. That could eat a lot of money, but it has been quite effective in other arenas. And as we said earlier, it was the way NIH study sections were opened up to women's participation.
I had a POWRE grant and reentered academic research after administration with mine. I know a lot of women did use it for post-children re-entry. It's great to get kind of a fully supported sabbatical and then a starter grant at your home institution in one package, and I don't think anything like that exists now. Good ideas!
cheers,
Laura

Community

I think re-entry grants like the POWRE grants at NSF used to be should be brought back. And I think there should be some kind of sponsored network for women to give each other advice and support, to develop the sisterhood that Kate talked about in one of her postings. And yes, childcare.
FBP

Community

I vote for childcare early enough so we don't lose all the postdocs. After we've got them all trained and ready, they decide to go into business with their friends designing clothes, for heavens' sake. Make it worth their while to stay in the field!

Community

Well, collecting data on how women are doing would be one good way to use some money. NSF does it every 10 years now, I think. We could do it every five or every three years with enough money.
Also I'd like to see a legal team put behind your idea of applying Title IX to women in science, and some lawsuits filed. That'll cost quite a bit.
But of course, yes, daycare centers and grant support during childcare leaves would be good too.

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback