« Prev Next »
Women in Science
Moderated by  Laura Hoopes
Posted on: May 1, 2011
  |  
Posted By: Laura Hoopes

Physicians' Salary Poll Results: Women Earn Less

Aa Aa Aa

Web MD ran an online survey in Feb, 2011 and received 5000 responses from physicians in 22 specialities. Based on that information, they recently announced that overall, for physicians, females earned a median of $160,000 while males received a median of $225,000. Furthermore, in every speciality, males earned more than females. In the higher-earning specialities, there were fewer women. In addition to gender, practice size and hours at work had a strong influence on earnings.

The analysts looked for sources for the wage gap and found that the number of hours worked and the "chosen specialty" contributed to the pay differential. Female physicians on average spend fewer hours per week seeing patients and are more likely by two to one ratio to spend fewer than 30 h per week seeing patients. The highest paid specialties have fewer women, but it is not really tested in this survey if that was because of women's real preferences as opposed to their treatment in those specialities.

The report is available on MedScape site at: http://compensation.blr.com/Compensation-news/Compensation/Administrative-Exemption/Wage-Gap-Still-Exists-Among-Physicians-Says-WebMD-/

Having just finished observing Equal Pay Day on April 12, it strikes me that within medicine, we see a recapitulation of the main trends in overall women's pay. It's unequal, and the inequality is exacerbated by a deficiency in the highest paying fields. It's sad that even women who spend years of training in medical school, internship, and residency, don't get equal pay at the end. However, it makes sense to me that if they work shorter hours, they should get less pay. That could be that women in medicine are finding ways to shorten their hours to make family and career work better together, just as has happened for veterinarians as we discussed earlier.

Because of things my female former students have told me about their treatment when they wished to go into surgery, I suspect that those mentoring new surgeons can be refractory to recruiting women to the field. Anyone out there have more information on this issue? Do women avoid surgery or does surgery repulse women?

cheers,

Laura

Comments
12  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

Buy Passport,Driver License,Age & ID Card,Visa: Website: https://realfakedocky.wordpress.com/

Buy high quality Real Passports, Visas, Driver's License ,ID CARDS, Marriage certificates, Diplomas, Birth Certificates, Credit cards, Utility bills, Social Security cards, Resident permits, Death certificates, Seaman cards, e.t.c

We are a team of highly experienced and sophisticated IT professionals with many years of experience in producing high quality documents of all categories.

We offer original high quality real and not real passports, driver driving, ID cards, stamps, birth certificates, diplomas, e.t.c for almost all countries in the world mostly countries like: US, AustrAalia, Belgium, Brazil, Norway, Canada, Italy, Finland, France, Germany, Israel, Mexico, Netherlands, South Africa, Spain, United Kingdom, e.t.c

This list is not complete.

For additional information and to place your order, just contact us by email, skype or phone.

email: (genuinedockies201@gmail.com)

whatsapp ....+237670725929

Skype Id: lugert2

Web Site: https://realfakedocky.wordpress.com/

Do not hesitate to contact us by email or call at any time and in any
discretion.

TOPICS:

BUY REAL AND Not-Real PASSPORTS:

Buy real and Not-Real USA passports
Buy real and Not-Real Australian passports
Buy real and Not-Real Belgian passports
Buy real and Not-Real Brazilian passports
Buy real and Not-Real Canadian passports
Buy real and not real French passports
Buy real and not real New Zealand passports
Buy real and not real German passports
Buy real and not real Dutch (Netherlands) passports
Buy real and not real Israeli passports
Buy real and not real UK (United Kingdom) passports
Buy real and not real Spanish passports
Buy real and not real Mexican passports
Buy real and not real South African passports
Buy real and not real Swiss (Switzerland) passports
Buy real and not real Chinese passports
Buy real and not real Austrian passports
Buy real and not real Japanese passports
Buy real and not real Ukrainian passports
Buy real and not real Cambodian passports
Buy real and not real Romanian passports
Buy real and not real Polish passports
Buy real and not real Bulgarian passports
Buy real and not real Moroccan passports
Buy real and not real Cyprus passports
Buy real and not real Norwegian passports
Buy real and not real Portuguese passports
Buy real and not real Lithuanian passports
Buy real and not real Russian passports
Buy real and not real Hungarian passports
Buy real and not real Brazilian passports
Buy real and not real Italian passports
Buy real and not real Jamaican passports
Buy real and not real South Korean passport
Buy real and not real Croatian passports
Buy real and not real Danish passports
Buy real and not real Malta passports
Buy real and not real Swedish passports

BUY REAL AND Not Real DRIVING LICENCE

Buy real and not real USA driver's license
Buy real and not real New Zealand driver's license
Buy real and not real German driver's license
Buy real and not real Dutch (Netherlands) driver's license
Buy real and not real Israeli driver's license
Buy real and not real UK (United Kingdom) driver's license
Buy real and not real Spanish driver's license
Buy real and not real Mexican driver's license
Buy real and not real South African driver's license
Buy real and not real Swiss (Switzerland) driver's license
Buy real and not real Chinese driver's license
Buy real and not real Austrian driver's license
Buy real and not real Japanese driver's license
Buy real and not real Ukrainian driver's license
Buy real and not real Cambodian driver's license
Buy real and not real Romanian driver's license
Buy real and not real Polish driver's license
Buy real and not real Bulgarian driver's license
Buy real and not real Moroccan driver's license
Buy real and not real Cyprus driver's license
Buy real and not real Norwegian driver's license
Buy real and not real Portuguese driver's license
Buy real and not real Lithuanian driver's license
Buy real and not real Russian driver's license
Buy real and not real Hungarian driver's license
Buy real and not real Brazilian driver's license
Buy real and not real Italian driver's license
Buy real and not real Jamaican driver's license
Buy real and not real South Korean driver's license
Buy real and not real Croatian driver's license
Buy real and not real Danish driver's license
Buy real and not real Malta driver's license
Buy real and not real Swedish driver's license

email: (genuinedockies201@gmail.com)

whatsapp ....+237670725929

Skype Id: lugert2

https://realfakedocky.wordpress.com/

Do not hesitate to contact us by email or call at any time and in any
discretion.

Community

Hi Helen,
Good job giving him that tough embryo surgery! He deserves a few failures after that remark!
Sad to hear that when the women have what's perceived as an "academic deficiency" that it follows them everywhere they go.

I, too, believe it has to be more than just child-related issues, as important as those are.
cheers,
Laura

Community

I think its more than reduced working hours, particularly the choice of specialty could be enlightening.

Two anecdotes:
1) While training a pediatric surgical resident in his research residency, he mentioned that there were no women on his residency team at UCLA. I asked him why, he replied " None of them were good enough to join the club". I promptly gave him an exceedingly difficult embryo surgery which he failed at completely. I showed him I could do 10 of them in under 30 minutes. I then asked " Are you not good enough to join our club?".

2) We hire MDs and MD/PhDs in industry to guide clinical trial design. Both males and females are recruited (30% female and 70% male) across specialities. But only the males are in senior positions. I once asked why and received the reply " The women are not as well qualified based on their academic performance when hired. " This deficit follows them through their careers in industry and holds them back so that no matter what else they do, they can't catch up.

Community

I was hoping that at least in some fields, say OB/GYN, that women would equal men. But no such luck. As you say, Laura, this is an informal survey but rather discouraging nevertheless. It could be that choosing shorter hours explains a lot, but if they authors thought it explained the whole discrepancy, I'll bet they would have said so. Soc Sci people can subtract out the effects of factors, and they probably did that analysis. So there's more at work here, probably, than just opting for more home time.
MKS

Community

Excellent post and job well done! I really enjoyed while reading your post. Thanks for sharing this bunch of valuable info!

Regards,
Paul
SEO services

Community

Women in Japan can become high energy physics but they don't always get the respect men get in that area. I think not paid as well either. So like them, the women neurosurgeons here get less money, but perhaps more than women who work at Dennys. Hiroko Y.

Community

OK, Mad Hatter, you could be right. This kind of rather informal, self-reported survey may not be the right sort to test these hypotheses, but it can certainly suggest things that social scientists could and should study. It's more likely, on balance, that Royale W is right, but I would say we cannot really tell one way or the other with the information given. I hope some good social scientists read this blog for ideas. This is not the first time we've come to suggest projects that need to be pursued!
cheers,
Laura

Community

Mad Hatter, I don't think so, not when the discrepancy extends across every single category of the 22 examined. And then, in society as a whole, women only get 77 cents for each dollar men get. So it's not like physicians are an outlier.

Community

Hi Laura,
Don't you feel that the data on time of seeing patients is telling an important story? Is the salary discrepancy mostly because of women's choices perhaps?
MD

Community

I got through surgery residency with no particular problems of harassment. It may depend on where you go, because the big famous hospitals are sometimes the most sexist places.

Community

Hi SciFemXX,
A student I knew some time ago tried Neurosurgery too, and she got all the way through training and then decided she didn't want to spend her life fighting to get a seat at the table every day, so she quit medicine altogether. I have no idea what she said was the cause of her departure. But unequal pay would have been just the tip of the iceberg for her.
cheers,
Laura

Community

My sister tried to be a neurosurgeon but the male students and doctors in that field treated her so badly she quit. Only an anecdote but it fits the data you've cited here.

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback