Women in Science
Moderated by  Laura Hoopes
Posted on: December 14, 2011
  |  
Posted By: Laura Hoopes

Many Thanks to AAUW and Christianne Corbet

Aa Aa Aa

Dear Friends of Women in Science,

During much of 2011, Christianne Corbet, coauthor of the AAUW study on women in science, Why So Few, has been with this forum one week per month. She has unfolded for us a lot of the evidence against misguided steering of women away from science, and the evidence showing that women can succeed if we can avoid stereotype threat, can overcome biases in several ways, and can show our true colors. I have found her contributions enormously interesting and helpful, and I will miss her. She gives us her last week Dec 17-23, focusing on the final chapter of Why So Few. I hope you will drop by to discuss her final postings and will let her know how important her work, and her presentation on the forum, has been for women in STEM fields.

cheers,

Laura

Comments
5  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

Thank you, Marian!

Community

Christianne,

Thank you for all your thoughtful posts throughout the months, and I apologize for sometimes addressing comments to Laura when the post was yours.

I believe that "Why So Few" should be required reading for HR managers as well as senior managers at technical companies. I have passed it on to several. Great work!

Marian

Community

Dear Laura and everyone who reads and contributes to this forum,

Thank you so much for letting me contribute over the past 10 months! It's been a real pleasure participating in this forum. I plan to continue reading the posts and commenting. This is one of the most thoughtful forums for discussing these issues that I've seen. I really appreciate Laura's even-handed approach and the insightful comments of readers.

Very best wishes,
Christi

Community

Dear Christianne,

Thank you for all the great background information. I hope to teach a gender in science course some day and I will find all of that information useful, as well as encouraging.

Community

Dear Christianne,
I didn't comment on your postings, but I found their resources very useful. I have bought the book and if I can only get it back from the friend who borrowed it, I will use parts of it in my classes. Thank you for your enlightening presence on this forum.
FBP

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback