Women in Science
Moderated by  Laura Hoopes
Posted on: April 12, 2012
  |  
Posted By: Laura Hoopes

What's Your Motivation?

Aa Aa Aa

Hi friends of women in science,

I heard the phrase in my headline twice recently, once in a theatre where a teacher was prompting a student to consider what his character would feel, and once when a television host was questioning someone who, in her opinion, had lied about his political oponent. In one case, the speaker was delving for something deeper; in the other, she was trying to expose a weakness. But under the meaning at that moment, what I heard each time was, what motivates me (anyone) to stay in science?

I can only answer that for myself, of course, but I'm very interested in others' answers. A dear friend, Tetsuo Otsuki, a professor of chemistry at Occidental College, recently passed away. Colleagues called him "sensei" because if he ever gave advice, it was balanced and positive. He once got up to talk with incoming summer research students and said, "I want to get to the secrets of nature, to have the goddess of nature unveil her mysteries, slowly but surely, if I deserve to know them." I never forgot that he didn't talk about attacking a problem. His approach was so gentle, but such a strong pull towards that mystery he saw ahead.

So what motivates me? It's all algebra to me. I love the unknown, the x, and figuring out how to set up an experiment so that x will be revealed. But as I reach the time of retirement, I'm also motivated to tell young women, the gate is open. You can compose, design your life to suit yourself. You can combine family and career, you can focus on one. It's up to you. And I'm motivated to tell administrators that this issue is not all that is in women's way in STEM fields. The chill is still with us. Not everywhere, thank goodness, but in too many places.

I'd love to hear what motivates you in science!

best,

Laura

Comments
8  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

Laura

For me the driver is problem solving. I love solving problems, making things work better. In my work, which combines math, physics, and engineering, as well as management, that is what I do Sometimes the problems is mathematical, sometimes it is organizational and requires none of my mathematical training. Either way, I get a feeling of accomplishment when I figure something out and make it work better.

Marian

Community

Lovely, inspiring answers from you, postdoc cat and Helen! I love the puzzle but I agree, we want to be responsible, help people, and not be un-valued for our contributions.
best,
Laura

Community

Hi Laura,
I like to figure out how things work. I really enjoy those Aha! moments in science and not having them much as I'm relegated to a desk is tough at times. I would say that now I'm moving towards the satisfaction that comes from helping develop therapeutics that really mean something to patients.

But regardless of why I'm attracted to science, I do need to be paid well, acknowledged for my contributions, and have the ability to influence others. Without those things, no job is fun to my mind.

Helen

Community

Hi Laura,
Here's another approach, one that works for me. I do science hoping to improve the world, to create new medicines, to make things better for people. It's also important to me to minimize harm from climate change, so I try to do mini-science, not to use too much of chemicals that might damage the environment, not to need to drive too much, etc.
Postdoc Cat

Community

Fascinating! I love to hear diverse answers to this question. Honestly, there's not any wrong answer here. If it motivates you, it's good. Tell me more, blog readers! Remember, you can post anonymously.
cheers,
Laura

Community

Well, it's a career for me, sorry I have no mystical connection with the universe. I want to be well paid and respected for the brilliance of my ideas. I want to rise and fall on how well I think through my science. I don't want men to decide, without even talking with me or reading my papers, that I'm here just because I'm a woman so for me it was easy. That just infuriates me.
KRP

Community

Dear Laura,

I love what your friend Otsuki said. It's more like I think about science, almost a mystical approach, humble, hard-working, careful. If I deserve it, I'll be rewarded with more insight, a small revelation.

LRK

Community

Hi Laura,
Interesting question! I think I actually like to plan science like a military campaign, sorry! I make a pincer movement on the problem, attacking using different strategies, so that results will reinforce each other if they agree. I know that's not supposed to be feminine (a woman friend once called me down at a faculty meeting for calling a trouble shooting group a SWAT team, so I know it's not politically correct.) But that's what I feel I'm doing.
Tink

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback