Women in Science
Moderated by  Laura Hoopes
Posted on: July 22, 2010
  |  
Posted By: Laura Hoopes

Recommendations for Former Students

Aa Aa Aa

Hi friends of women in science,

I'm getting old enough that students from my past are asking to be recommended for faculty positions, and students I've taught are recommending me to their kids.  I'm not sure I like this new world where instead of a pure recommendation (say to graduate school or Teach for America or Fullbright) I'm getting a nostalgia trip (or giving one).  I wonder, do women tend to hark back to their college professors for recommendations for a longer period than men?  Or is it just a coincidence that I've run into these requests only from great female students of long ago?  

With all the toxic atmosphere comments we've shared recently, I wonder if the professors at college/university undergraduate level are more fair, play fewer games, or are more supportive of females in science?  It's a strange question, and I realize the undergrad and grad professors can include many of the same people at some universities.  I may just be reacting to a skewed sample of my former research students.

What do you think?

A. In my experience, women and men are not different in who they choose for recommendations.

B. Women do tend to choose people they've bonded with, which can include undergraduate professors.

C. A research mentor in graduate school is rarely as supportive to a woman as as her mentor was when she was an undergraduate. 

D. I'd only choose women to recommend me, and i would ask my undergrad senior thesis mentor in a heartbeat.  She really knows my mental capabilities.  

Comments
8  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

Hi Still Bonded,
Yes, I think it's likely that the average industry position has better child care than the average academic job. Wish I didn't have to say so!
cheers,
Laura

Community

I'm not so sure. I still have (mostly female) students asking me for recs for things way past grad school. So far, just for postdocs etc, but I suspect for academic jobs will come along soon. Or for industry jobs. Several of the ones still in contact really seem to be aiming for industry. One told me it was because they have better child care leaves!

Community

Okay, experienced, point taken. I may have just experienced something that is rare writ large but more common for some reason among my female students. Oh, well, just thought I'd ask!
cheers
Laura

Community

Hi Laura,
In the recent searches I've been a part of, there haven't been any letters from college senior thesis supervisors, even though I am at a liberal arts college and that might make it more likely. Just saying...

Community

Hi friends,
It sounds like sometimes but not always is the answer here. Probably depends on personalities or something non-quantitative like that! I love to know what they're up to, recently enjoyed LinkedIn contacts with two of my super women students of long ago, but the neurons where I stored my memories of their tests and papers are a bit dusty and cobwebby now.
cheers,
Laura

Community

Hm. I have almost all women. But there is a strong link and some of them do ask for years after they graduate. Not sure about the gender specificity.

Community

A I don't think so. My students are mostly asking three profs from grad school when they apply for jobs. And I don't see any difference between men and women in that.
FBP

Community

YES! But I really enjoy hearing what they are doing, and love to think of them getting faculty positions. I feel these students are part of my contribution to the field, as important as those scientific papers I write.
As for teaching the kids of former students, I've been spared that so far.

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback