Women in Science
Moderated by  Laura Hoopes
Posted on: November 24, 2011
  |  
Posted By: Laura Hoopes

Giant Woman in Science Lynn Margulis, RIP

Aa Aa Aa
Dear Friends of Women in Science,

Today I heard that Lynn Margulis has passed away at age 73. She was a woman who should have quickly come to mind when we were asked to name important women scientists. Lynn Margulis was the early champion of the theory that eukaryotic cells arose from sybiotic associations of precurson cells related to bacteria (and to Archaea, but when she first proposed it, they were not yet known). At first, few biologists took her seriously. I believe the reaction was, "Here's this woman, of course she proposed cooperation. She just doesn't understand all life stands on the principle of competition." Well, most biologists today would agree with the basics of her theory and it's prominent in all the textbooks, due to her persuasive arguments and experiments, along with those of later scientists who decided her ideas were worth testing. Not all of them are willing to acknowledge her contribution.
I heard her speak about ten years ago, and in spite of the new guys on the block not always giving her original ideas the nod, she continued to mention each researcher whose work she cited. I quite enjoyed her elegant case for the theory, now well accepted.
Margulis was one of the very few women ever awarded the National Medal of Science, receiving it in 1999. In 1983, she was elected to the National Academy of Sciences. A prodigy, she began at University of Chicago at the age of 14. At one time, she was married to astronomer Carl Sagan.
Had you heard about Lynn Margulis? I hope so!
cheers,
Laura
Comments
7  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

My friend Phoebe Lostroh at Colorado College sent me a copy of a letter from the man that she hand picked to succeed her in teaching her Symbiosis course. He was convincing about her unique status, interestingly didn't qualify it as "unique woman scientist" but in general. I agree,
Laura

Community

I'm so encouraged that many of us knew about Lynn Margulis. And Donna, Helen H, and Adam, it's great to hear her effects on your thinking and your memories of her. She and her theory were totally trashed early on, but it sure bounced back strongly as evidence accumulated.
best,
Laura

Community

I'm not an evolutionary biologist but I lean strongly in that direction. Perhaps the first real paper I read on the subject was one of her early contributions on symbiosis that I encountered in college. I remember how totally cool I thought it was and was never aware of the controversy it aroused. Though machismo certainly permeates much of science, evolutionary biology may be more saturated with it than most. Lynn Margulis had guts aplenty to go along with that genesis mind.

BTW: She published a paper that made a strong statement regarding the sterility of Mars that I'm sure made her ex's head spin. Took guts to do that too.

Community

Thank you, Laura, for posting about Lynn and thank you, Donna Simmons, for the link to the article about her, by one of my UCSB woman colleagues! I was lucky to hear her speak at a Gaia conference in VA about 5 yrs ago, and to speak with her. I feel my mortality - I planned to send her my origin-of-life hypothesis, but that won't happen now; and some day I, too, will be gone. I first heard about her organelle hypothesis in about 1973.
This is my favorite recent link about her:
http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/cross-check/2011/11/24/r-i-p-lynn-margulis-biological-rebel/

Community

Sad news, indeed, but I'm glad you posted it Laura...
I agree with the comments about lack of credit for women scientists' discoveries. And the list goes on, in many other fields of endeavor!
I just read a rather long post from an interview with Margulis in 2009 titled "Intimacy of Strangers and Natural Selection": http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/HL200903/S00194.htm
I found it quite fascinating and thought it gave a nice impression of the vibrant personality of the woman herself. Incidentally, it was written by a woman journalist. I regret that I never met Lynn Margulis in person.

Community

Not crediting a woman with discovering an important theoretical advance is a long-standing strategy by scientists who would like to get the credit for that finding themselves. I can trace it back at least to the credit grab by TH Morgan of the data of his friend Nettie Stevens and also of his colleague EB Wilson, eventually in his famous genetics book eliding their contributions so he usurped credit for discovery of sex chromosomes when in fact, he fought for ten years against the concept in spite of Stevens' strong data!
cheers,
Laura

Community

Hi Laura,
My evolutionary biology prof didn't mention her, but I ran across information about her in an article I read and found out lots more. She was terribly important in how we understand complex cells' origin. It's terrible (I almost said criminal) that later scientists (men!) don't credit her with the courage to propose this theory before it was popular.
REL

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback