Women in Science
Moderated by  Laura Hoopes
Posted on: November 22, 2013
  |  
Posted By: Laura Hoopes

The Scientist on Sequester and Salaries

Aa Aa Aa
Dear friends of women in science,

In the November, 2013 issue of The Scientist, I saw two items of news I regret. The first, which we've noted in passing for several months, is the terrible effect of the sequester on science funding. In the "Speaking of Science" feature, Francis Collins, director of the National Institutes of Health, was quoted as follows, "How many potential future Nobel Prize winners are struggling to find research support today or have been sent home on furlough? How many of them are wondering if they should do something else--or move to another country?." This indiscriminate cutting of budgets has really chilled what was an outstanding period of scientific progress, and of course, also our efforts to attract a more diverse workforce to science.
The second regrettable item was the salary survey that The Scientist conducts annually. It is self-reported, for those of you who are more purist in your demands of data sources. But I suspect it captures a realistic snapshot of wages in science, based on my anecdotal explorations. Again this year, gender is a big determinant of salary. To quote a few categories, for male professors, salary average reported was $158,715. while for female professors it was $133,275. For those who think the trend will correct itself over time, consider the assistant professors: male average was $88,265 but female average was $78,253. And reaching even farther down the pipeline, male graduate students received an average of $28,066 while female graduate students reported an average of $27,869.
The only category where women made more on average was lab technician, with females reporting $40,496 while men reported $38,410. My cynical side might wish they'd also reported the average years in the position for both men and women. Even in this category. I suspect women stay in the job years longer and thus if one corrected for that, the men might win even here.
What are you seeing out there in the real world? Are people leaving science for lack of funds or for funding imbalance favoring men or both?
best,
Laura
Comments
7  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

Buy Passport,Driver License,Age & ID Card,Visa: Website: https://realfakedocky.wordpress.com/

Buy high quality Real Passports, Visas, Driver's License ,ID CARDS, Marriage certificates, Diplomas, Birth Certificates, Credit cards, Utility bills, Social Security cards, Resident permits, Death certificates, Seaman cards, e.t.c

We are a team of highly experienced and sophisticated IT professionals with many years of experience in producing high quality documents of all categories.

We offer original high quality real and not real passports, driver driving, ID cards, stamps, birth certificates, diplomas, e.t.c for almost all countries in the world mostly countries like: US, AustrAalia, Belgium, Brazil, Norway, Canada, Italy, Finland, France, Germany, Israel, Mexico, Netherlands, South Africa, Spain, United Kingdom, e.t.c

This list is not complete.

For additional information and to place your order, just contact us by email, skype or phone.

email: (genuinedockies201@gmail.com)

whatsapp ....+237670725929

Skype Id: lugert2

Web Site: https://realfakedocky.wordpress.com/

Do not hesitate to contact us by email or call at any time and in any
discretion.

TOPICS:

BUY REAL AND Not-Real PASSPORTS:

Buy real and Not-Real USA passports
Buy real and Not-Real Australian passports
Buy real and Not-Real Belgian passports
Buy real and Not-Real Brazilian passports
Buy real and Not-Real Canadian passports
Buy real and not real French passports
Buy real and not real New Zealand passports
Buy real and not real German passports
Buy real and not real Dutch (Netherlands) passports
Buy real and not real Israeli passports
Buy real and not real UK (United Kingdom) passports
Buy real and not real Spanish passports
Buy real and not real Mexican passports
Buy real and not real South African passports
Buy real and not real Swiss (Switzerland) passports
Buy real and not real Chinese passports
Buy real and not real Austrian passports
Buy real and not real Japanese passports
Buy real and not real Ukrainian passports
Buy real and not real Cambodian passports
Buy real and not real Romanian passports
Buy real and not real Polish passports
Buy real and not real Bulgarian passports
Buy real and not real Moroccan passports
Buy real and not real Cyprus passports
Buy real and not real Norwegian passports
Buy real and not real Portuguese passports
Buy real and not real Lithuanian passports
Buy real and not real Russian passports
Buy real and not real Hungarian passports
Buy real and not real Brazilian passports
Buy real and not real Italian passports
Buy real and not real Jamaican passports
Buy real and not real South Korean passport
Buy real and not real Croatian passports
Buy real and not real Danish passports
Buy real and not real Malta passports
Buy real and not real Swedish passports

BUY REAL AND Not Real DRIVING LICENCE

Buy real and not real USA driver's license
Buy real and not real New Zealand driver's license
Buy real and not real German driver's license
Buy real and not real Dutch (Netherlands) driver's license
Buy real and not real Israeli driver's license
Buy real and not real UK (United Kingdom) driver's license
Buy real and not real Spanish driver's license
Buy real and not real Mexican driver's license
Buy real and not real South African driver's license
Buy real and not real Swiss (Switzerland) driver's license
Buy real and not real Chinese driver's license
Buy real and not real Austrian driver's license
Buy real and not real Japanese driver's license
Buy real and not real Ukrainian driver's license
Buy real and not real Cambodian driver's license
Buy real and not real Romanian driver's license
Buy real and not real Polish driver's license
Buy real and not real Bulgarian driver's license
Buy real and not real Moroccan driver's license
Buy real and not real Cyprus driver's license
Buy real and not real Norwegian driver's license
Buy real and not real Portuguese driver's license
Buy real and not real Lithuanian driver's license
Buy real and not real Russian driver's license
Buy real and not real Hungarian driver's license
Buy real and not real Brazilian driver's license
Buy real and not real Italian driver's license
Buy real and not real Jamaican driver's license
Buy real and not real South Korean driver's license
Buy real and not real Croatian driver's license
Buy real and not real Danish driver's license
Buy real and not real Malta driver's license
Buy real and not real Swedish driver's license

email: (genuinedockies201@gmail.com)

whatsapp ....+237670725929

Skype Id: lugert2

https://realfakedocky.wordpress.com/

Do not hesitate to contact us by email or call at any time and in any
discretion.

Community

Hi Marian,
I hope you're right about the sequester. I fear though that this Congress is only able to do nothing, and they set it up so doing nothing will cut (hack) back money to everything indiscriminately so new science and new scientists are definitely taking a hit.
best,
Laura

Community

Laura

To me, sequestration is a short term problem. More appalling is the salary differential.I do not understand why this persists and why our elected officials refuse to pass a stronger equal pay act.

The problem is not limited to academia, not at all.

Marian

Community

Hi Susan,

I was pretty sure from things you'd said in passing that the sequester was bad news for you and your place, but I didn't realize how bad. So sorry to hear you are personally impacted and your students are turning away in droves. So sad, when things had looked so much more promising recently. Time to start pushing the $#&*! boulder up that hill again, I guess, if ever we get a functional Congress in place.

best,
Laura

Community

Hi Rhiannon, Sorry to hear it's so hard. I thought it probably was, but in some ways being in a liberal arts college is one step removed. We never had the big grants. But it's clearly having a terrible effect on science-writ-large .

Laura

Community

Of COURSE the sequester etc is having an effect. For example, I've lost a grant, and took at 25% pay cut (my summer salary) to try to keep my lab running, but we have to downsize staff nonetheless. The majority of my students leave academe because they frankly don't want my job. They didn't find it attractive before the sequester (in part because of the women issues) and they find it vastly less attractive now. The politicians are giving a good example of how to kill the goose that laid the golden eggs. once it's gone, it won't be back.

Community

Laura--
You have put your finger on a couple of dire problems this time. All of my postdocs are thinking of either leaving science or moving to Singapore or Germany. I am considering a possible opportunity in England myself. What is Congress thinking/ (Or as one of my colleagues says, Congress? Thinking?)
RME

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback