« Prev Next »
Women in Science
Moderated by  Laura Hoopes
Posted on: July 24, 2010
  |  
Posted By: Laura Hoopes

Female Science Professor in the Chronicle

Aa Aa Aa

Female Science Professor blog is one of my favorites.  This spring, the Chronicle of Higher Education had an article by her explaining that, yes, it's still hard for women in science.  Telling the interviewer why her blog has this name, she says, "I had been so often reminded by colleagues, in their words and actions, that I was different from the "regular" (read: male) science professors, that I decided to use the extra adjective to describe myself."

She continued the catalog of verbal slights to say she has been told that  a university "had to hire a woman," that the National Science Foundation "had to give a certain number of grants to women," that an organization "had to give that award to a woman" (because deserving men had gotten the award every year for the last century), or that conference organizers "had to invite at least one woman speaker."  I have heard these comments myself from certain of my male colleagues, but probably fewer times because I'm in biology, not physical sciences and I'm at a liberal arts college, not a research university.  

Female Science Professor brings up a number of the topics we've discussed, such as getting paid less than men and having men ignore what she says unless a man says the same thing. She also cites a number of instances where a man refuses to admit she could have done her own work.  And she talks about frequent lack of respect from students and colleagues, even today when she is "over 40."

I'm going to quote a long example of what sometimes happens to her at meetings:

"Male Science Professor (MSP), on meeting me for the first time: Your husband is also a scientist.

Me: Yes, that's right. He works on topics X and Y.

MSP: I don't know that work, but I do know his work on A and B (insert accurate description of my research topics).

Me: Actually, I work on those topics, my husband doesn't. His name is (different last name from mine).

MSP: I have never heard of him. The person I am thinking of has the same last name as you. It must be someone else.

Me: But you just described my research. Maybe you are thinking of my work.

MSP: Oh no, I am sure that the person with the same last name as you is a man. His work is very well known and he publishes a lot. When I heard your name, I thought it must be your husband.

True story. In fact, I am that person who publishes a lot on topics A and B. I just don't happen to be a man."

Isn't that terrible?  But I'll bet a lot of you are unhappy but not really shocked.  It's not the first time something like this has happened to you or someone you know, right?  Or is it less common than I think?

A No, this sort of thing never happens to me.

B. Must be physical sciences, I've never heard of this happening to women in biology

C. Yes, this type of thing has happened to me but only rarely

D. Yes, I get this type of abuse on a regular basis. 

Comments
10  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

Hi Helen,
Yes, it's frustrating but these are beyond postdocs, they're young faculty members I'm working with. I really thought that generation would be 'over' sexism. Ah, sweet delusions of life! I've gotta tell them all about it again, and again. I'm glad that not all of the guys in that cohort are patriarchal.
cheers,
Laura

Community

That sounds really frustrating Laura! I hope you hang in there and persist. Hopefully the youngsters will respond over time. Awareness seems to rise as they get closer to making family decisions of their own, but of course that is usually during the postdoc years!

Community

Yes, I do expect more of the young guys, but sometimes they seem determined to replicate all the worst features of the patriachical old science establishment. I am organizing a series of talk with others, and every time I recommend a woman, no one picks up on it, but when I recommend a man, everyone jumps on that. I'm frustrated.
cheers,
Laura

Community

I'm a big girl, literally and figuratively, so those comments don't bother me that much:) What does bother me is when I talk to graduate students or postdocs who still spout the same sterotypes. When they come up with some of those comments, I just remind them that just like the MDs we TA for who we don't think have it all going on upstairs, people in industry are the ones you're relying on to improve your health and that of your children. So you better hope that some of us are marginally intelligent!

Community

Oh, boy. I think this guy has some 30+ year old notions of industry, but perhaps that's just his loss. I remember before recombinant DNA and WI38 human fibroblasts when a lot of people said these things. Probably none of them really knew what was happening in industry even then; I recall some good papers on aging from Merck in house researchers. Too bad he took it out on you, Helen!
cheers,
Laura

Community

I wouldn't say all the time, so I can't pick D, but I have plenty of examples so I give it a C+. Here's one from after I had joined industry at a big conference in my field:
Male Science Prof: So...you joined industry. I have a friend who did that back in the 80s. Me: Yes, it's a great environment to work in. Male Science Prof: Well, yes, for people who don't have any other options or couldn't make it in the rigorous academic environment. Me: Actually I had job offers from X and Y. I did my postdoc with "insert famous person in the field" and had some NIH funding already. Male Science Prof: Really??!!! That's too bad. Me: No, actually I'm very happy with my choice Male Science Prof: You sold out your intellectual freedom for "gasp" money. I hope you still enjoy it in five years (sarcastic).
He walked away in a huff.

Community

Hi Waiting,
I hope you'll find that people recognize the good things you've done, but I'm kind of pessimistic about it. Women's achievements in science often seem to slip through the cracks and disappear. I think you might practice a little bit of assertiveness in saying what you've accomplished and get better results.
cheers,
Laura

Community

I guess I'm just thinking eventually the men will recognize that I'm doing a good job. I might pick A or C, not sure.

Community

D
I'm not resonating with the mistaken-for-husband issue but I do get a lot of the "is that YOUR work?" comment, implying that it's too good to be done by a female. Discouraging!
FBP

Community

C I don't have a lot of publications so that specific example is not like me. The main way I resonate with this is the part about being 'not heard' when I say something, then having the same thing be greeted with enthusiasm five minutes later when a man says it. I do hate that! It's probably rooted in the same assumption that women don't have "science brains."

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback