Women in Science
Moderated by  Laura Hoopes
Posted on: May 9, 2013
  |  
Posted By: Laura Hoopes

Videos Are a Model of What We Can Do

Aa Aa Aa

Dear friends of women in science,

I get emails from time to time asking what a woman can do to help encourage young women to go into STEM fields and to persist there. I'm sure you have a lot of ideas, and I welcome them in the comments. But recently, I heard from my friend, Malcolm Campbell at Davidson College, about a wonderful way you can encourage women. On a low key, you can refer young women, especially women of color, to this resource at San Francisco State University, where students submitted questions and videos of young women of color in science were posted to discuss these questions. If you have more time and energy, wouldn't it be great to make videos like this for your own institution? These days, the students themselves would probably be able to do a phone-based version of quick videos for the project, if someone encouraged them and got the IT administration to give them a free site to post it.

The videos are here (Click, or here's the URL just in case):

http://www.sfsusepal.org/programs/spectrum/from-us-to-us-advice-on-careers-in-biomedical-science-for-girls-and-women-of-color/

cheers,
Laura Hoopes

Comments
2  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

Hi SSW and other friends,

I just got a nice thank you note from Kimberley Tanner for the SEPAL project at SFSU. As many of you know, she's an important thinker re organization of STEM programs and recruiting a more diverse STEM work force for the future. It's a pleasure to recommend these videos, and doubly so now that I know Kimberly had a hand in encouraging their development!

cheers,
Laura

Community

Hi Laura,

These are great, and I will definitely use them with my students. I'm kind of overcommitted right now so I can't take on getting a resource like this here, but I might suggest it to the women's support group among the students.

Thanks,
SSW

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback