Women in Science
Moderated by  Laura Hoopes
Posted on: June 14, 2011
  |  
Posted By: Laura Hoopes

White House International Conference on Women in STEM Fields

Aa Aa Aa

Dear friends of women in science,

Today (Tues, 14 June, 2011) there is an interesting conference brought to my attention by graduate school friend Charlotte Boone Halicioglu. It is moderated by an outstanding panel of women STEM scientists from the US Government, and invited guests are outstanding women in science from countries all over the world. Here are the US participants:

Moderator: Sherburne Abbott, Associate Director for Environment, White House Office of Science and Technology Policy

Participants from US Government:

•Dr. Marcia McNutt, Director, US Geological Survey, Department of the Interior
•Dr. Margaret Hamburg, Commissioner, Food and Drug Administration, Department of Health and Human Services
•Dr. Cora Marrett, Deputy Director, National Science Foundation
•Dr. Machi Dilworth, Director, Office of International Science and Engineering, National Science Foundation

As noted on the site announcing the event, the public can participate in discussion. Before the event, tweet your questions for participants using the tag #WHwomeninscience, then watch the conversation live tomorrow, June 14th at 11 a.m. on WhiteHouse.gov/Live for a chance to see your questions answered.

Comments
4  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

Still can't find any long summary of what was said or video of the proceedings. All I found was a statement that there will be a follow up meeting elsewhere in the world. Frustrating!
cheers,
Laura

Community

Hi Livi,
I see that they have not posted a link to the event yet (it's Tuesday evening). I'll keep checking too. I hope they will. At least I'd like to find out who came to it from other countries, but I really want to get a summary of the discussion if at all possible.
cheers,
Laura

Community

Hi Laura,
I missed it but I keep checking back to see if they are going to post a copy for people to view later. So far, not. But the web site said they were going to talk about these things:

Cutting edge practices that are helping to attract girls to STEM and support women in STEM, both in the U.S. and internationally.
Ways in which societies can help empower women and girls through STEM.
How institutions in the developing world are working to overcome barriers to involvement in STEM, and how this makes a difference in the lives of women and girls.
How the U.S. government is helping women and girls in the developing world engage in STEM.

Sounds very interesting! Livi

Community

Sorry, Charlotte, I meant we were friends in graduate school, not that you are in graduate school now! Speed is the enemy of accuracy, as my fourth grade teacher used to say.

I think we all know that there are many countries where women in science have a greater struggle than we do in the US. The UN has a big project focused on improving women's access to STEM careers as a way to improve women's rights in general. We all need to follow these issues more, and do what we can to help. Did you know this week there's a women's protest in Saudi Arabia about getting the right to drive a car? Think how hard it would be to do science if you could not drive a car.

cheers,
Laura

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback