Women in Science
Moderated by  Laura Hoopes
Posted on: January 9, 2015
  |  
Posted By: Laura Hoopes

Science Cheerleaders

Aa Aa Aa

Dear friends of women in science,

As I flew back to LA from a writing conference in Florida late last year, I read the flight magazine and was quite surprised to find an article on Science Cheerleaders. I was inspired to check out their webiste and if you go there (click here) you can read the article from American Way at their site.

I thought at first it was about professional sports cheerleaders who took on cheering for girls interested in science just out of altruism. But, to my surprise, I found out that a goodly proportion of the professional sports cheerleaders are scientists and engineers themselves, and are trying to improve the conditions in the field by cheering on students (especially girls) interested in science. They sponsor a big event each year and also appear at others' relevant events as time permits.

In the article, seveal of the cheerleaders are quoted as saying they hope that their advocacy will help to break down the image that you can't be good looking and with it if you go into STEM fields. No nerds here! As a former nerd, I never wanted to appear as one when I was a teen, so this makes a lot of sense to me. I recall in an interview with one my biography subjects, Jennifer Doudna of UC Berkeley, she told me that she was drawn to science as a young girl because a very stylish and attractive woman came to her school and gave a firecracker science talk. Wow, she thought, I can be cool and do science too!

So, I'm curious: did you know about this group? What do you think about its potential for increasing girls' interest in science?

cheers,

Laura

Comments
8  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

Buy Passport,Driver License,Age & ID Card,Visa: Website: https://realfakedocky.wordpress.com/

Buy high quality Real Passports, Visas, Driver's License ,ID CARDS, Marriage certificates, Diplomas, Birth Certificates, Credit cards, Utility bills, Social Security cards, Resident permits, Death certificates, Seaman cards, e.t.c

We are a team of highly experienced and sophisticated IT professionals with many years of experience in producing high quality documents of all categories.

We offer original high quality real and not real passports, driver driving, ID cards, stamps, birth certificates, diplomas, e.t.c for almost all countries in the world mostly countries like: US, AustrAalia, Belgium, Brazil, Norway, Canada, Italy, Finland, France, Germany, Israel, Mexico, Netherlands, South Africa, Spain, United Kingdom, e.t.c

This list is not complete.

For additional information and to place your order, just contact us by email, skype or phone.

email: (genuinedockies201@gmail.com)

whatsapp ....+237670725929

Skype Id: lugert2

Web Site: https://realfakedocky.wordpress.com/

Do not hesitate to contact us by email or call at any time and in any
discretion.

TOPICS:

BUY REAL AND Not-Real PASSPORTS:

Buy real and Not-Real USA passports
Buy real and Not-Real Australian passports
Buy real and Not-Real Belgian passports
Buy real and Not-Real Brazilian passports
Buy real and Not-Real Canadian passports
Buy real and not real French passports
Buy real and not real New Zealand passports
Buy real and not real German passports
Buy real and not real Dutch (Netherlands) passports
Buy real and not real Israeli passports
Buy real and not real UK (United Kingdom) passports
Buy real and not real Spanish passports
Buy real and not real Mexican passports
Buy real and not real South African passports
Buy real and not real Swiss (Switzerland) passports
Buy real and not real Chinese passports
Buy real and not real Austrian passports
Buy real and not real Japanese passports
Buy real and not real Ukrainian passports
Buy real and not real Cambodian passports
Buy real and not real Romanian passports
Buy real and not real Polish passports
Buy real and not real Bulgarian passports
Buy real and not real Moroccan passports
Buy real and not real Cyprus passports
Buy real and not real Norwegian passports
Buy real and not real Portuguese passports
Buy real and not real Lithuanian passports
Buy real and not real Russian passports
Buy real and not real Hungarian passports
Buy real and not real Brazilian passports
Buy real and not real Italian passports
Buy real and not real Jamaican passports
Buy real and not real South Korean passport
Buy real and not real Croatian passports
Buy real and not real Danish passports
Buy real and not real Malta passports
Buy real and not real Swedish passports

BUY REAL AND Not Real DRIVING LICENCE

Buy real and not real USA driver's license
Buy real and not real New Zealand driver's license
Buy real and not real German driver's license
Buy real and not real Dutch (Netherlands) driver's license
Buy real and not real Israeli driver's license
Buy real and not real UK (United Kingdom) driver's license
Buy real and not real Spanish driver's license
Buy real and not real Mexican driver's license
Buy real and not real South African driver's license
Buy real and not real Swiss (Switzerland) driver's license
Buy real and not real Chinese driver's license
Buy real and not real Austrian driver's license
Buy real and not real Japanese driver's license
Buy real and not real Ukrainian driver's license
Buy real and not real Cambodian driver's license
Buy real and not real Romanian driver's license
Buy real and not real Polish driver's license
Buy real and not real Bulgarian driver's license
Buy real and not real Moroccan driver's license
Buy real and not real Cyprus driver's license
Buy real and not real Norwegian driver's license
Buy real and not real Portuguese driver's license
Buy real and not real Lithuanian driver's license
Buy real and not real Russian driver's license
Buy real and not real Hungarian driver's license
Buy real and not real Brazilian driver's license
Buy real and not real Italian driver's license
Buy real and not real Jamaican driver's license
Buy real and not real South Korean driver's license
Buy real and not real Croatian driver's license
Buy real and not real Danish driver's license
Buy real and not real Malta driver's license
Buy real and not real Swedish driver's license

email: (genuinedockies201@gmail.com)

whatsapp ....+237670725929

Skype Id: lugert2

https://realfakedocky.wordpress.com/

Do not hesitate to contact us by email or call at any time and in any
discretion.

Community

Hi Jessica and Emma, thanks so much for sharing your personal insights in to science cheerleaders and cheerleaders in general. I believe that organization is a great resource for girls considering STEM careers.
best,
Laura

Community

Emma,
It's interesting to learn that society's ideals surrounding science and cheerleading have altered and that cheerleaders themselves are accepting the opportunity to thrive in STEM fields. I'm so amazed how their image has transformed just within the past decade. The demand for women in science is continuing to heighten, which serves as the motivation for patriot's cheerleader, Kelly, and her fellow teammates to proceed in this direction. With respect to the article that Laura had read in the flight magazine, I think that it is crucial for the media to gather support for the powerful "Science Cheerleader" organization across the country. Communication is key... the more who are knowledgable about science cheerleaders' accomplishments, the more who will transform their previous stereotypical beliefs. As a former cheerleader, myself, I can say that we are hardworking, intelligent individuals and that I'm so proud of the program's positive influence on future women of science.

Community

Hi Jessica,
I definitely feel that the perception of cheerleaders is changing rapidly. Just as the perception of women in science has been changing throughout history. Women have had to prove themselves in every aspect of life. It has been a long struggle, however, it seems hopeful that times are changing. Women need to be confident enough to be who they are and to follow their dreams. To answer your question more directly, I do feel that our community has a greater respect for the girls on my team. They have seen year after year so many of the cheerleaders moving forward to high ranking universities and careers. I am also seeing more and more girls come out for the team. So Cheers to You and Cheers to the Science Cheerleaders!
Emma

Community

Emma,
Congratulations to your high school's top ranking students for excelling both on the field and in the classroom! That's incredible! I feel so empowered to know that more and more cheerleaders are making their mark in the science fields, rather than simply conforming to the stereotypical role of a cheerleader. Of course, some may still question the ideals and intentions of a "Science Cheerleader," but based on my knowledge of the program, these women are equally capable and intelligible in comparison to any other individual in the work force. In regards to the two girls on your squad, do you think that the citizens in your area altered their general perspectives on cheerleaders after discovering their academic potential?

Community

Hi Laura,
I was so thrilled to have read your post regarding the "Science Cheerleaders." After reading your post I scrolled down to read the response from Jessica and I was ready to run back to my high school to share what I had read. As a high school teacher and coach of the Varsity Cheerleading Team, I have met so many girls that are not only athletic and filled with school spirit, but also exceptional students. In the past two years our senior class valedictorian and salutatorian were both members of the cheerleading squad. They are girls that work hard on and off the field and also contribute to their community.
Thank you both for your posts and I congratulate Jessica for pursuing her education as a chemical engineer. I hope many others like the two of you will continue to promote a positive view of girls in science and above all "Science Cheerleaders."

Community

Laura,
As a current chemical engineering major with ten years of cheerleading experience, I am fully supportive of the "Science Cheerleaders" organization. Last weekend, I was watching a Super Bowl news segment and was pleased to discover that the smartest person in the stadium could, in fact, be Patriots cheerleader, Kelly. Kelly is pursuing a Ph.D. in Psychology (specifically in Cognitive Neuroscience). Prior to this, she received an Ed.M. (Master’s in Education) in Mind, Brain, and Education from Harvard University in 2011, in addition to a B.A. in Psychology and Spanish from Middlebury College in 2010. As if cheering for the New England Patriots and working towards a Ph.D wasn't enough, she also worked with the Science Cheerleaders to coordinate a research project that was recently launched into space!
Kelly and her fellow Science Cheerleaders playfully challenge stereotypes by traveling the country and encouraging young women to consider careers in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM). The team consists of more than 200 current and former professional cheerleaders from the NFL, NBA, and other pro sports leagues. Among them is former Dallas Cowboys cheerleader, Nicol, who has recently landed her career as a pediatric urologic surgeon. From the words of Science Cheerleader's founder, Darlene Cavalier, "The Science Cheerleader serves to get the conversation going, rally the troops, solicit views from all sides and change the tone of science and science policy in this country." Similar to these intelligent women, I, myself, hope to challenge the stereotypical image of a cheerleader. I hope to prove that our potential surpasses the actions of waving pom poms in the air and tumbling across the stadium's field. Transitioning from my cheerleading days into a science related field, I will always stand by the belief that ANYONE, even the stereotypical "girly girl," can achieve a STEM career. Unfortunately, some simply judge a woman's capabilities by her outward appearance, but I'm glad to hear you disagree with this prejudice. However, I am also curious to know the opinions of those against the empowering program...

Community

Hi Laura--

What a surprise! I went to their web site and I found my initial bad feelings about this got wiped out. Are women in science kind of prejudiced against cheerleader types? Maybe! But anyway, these women are doing really good things to encourage young women to go into the field. Bravo to them!

KN

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback