Women in Science
Moderated by  Laura Hoopes
Posted on: March 21, 2011
  |  
Posted By: Laura Hoopes

Example of Local AWIS Chapter Activity

Aa Aa Aa

Hi friends of women in science,

Several of you have noted, on the site and by emailing to me, that you'd like to know more about what happens at AWIS local meetings. I am working on a guest forum on that subject, but I can give you a good example of an event that is coming up for the AWIS-Los Angeles Ventura County, a panel discussion on the future of biofuels, followed by light refreshments and networking. It will feature Richard Hamilton, CEO and President of Ceres, Inc, Julissa Sosa, Scientist, Ceres Inc, Yan Poon, Co-founder, Saphhire Energy, and Tracy Duong, Sapphire Energy. Ceres Inc. develops and markets non-food grasses for biofuel production. Sapphire Energy creates 'green curde" oil from algae for a renewable fuel source. Both the science behind biofuels and career opportunities in this field will be discussed by the panel, which runs from 6:30-7P:30 at Ceres, Inc Auditorium, 1535 Rancho Conejo Blve, Thousand Oaks, CA 91320. FMI and to RSVP if you can go, contact AWIS LAVC at www.awislavc.org . Be sure to stay for the networking if you go; the women in this group are friendly and very interesting to know.

This particular LAVC AWIS has frequent fun get togethers (hikes, stargazing, plays) and also programs like lectures, panels, etc. Investigate branches near you to find out what kinds of activities they sponsor.

cheers,
Laura

What do you know about AWIS?

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback