Women in Science
Moderated by  Laura Hoopes
Posted on: June 28, 2012
  |  
Posted By: Laura Hoopes

Title IX is 40

Aa Aa Aa

Dear friends of women in science,

Warning: Today, I'm getting up on my soapbox.

I'm very aware of Title IX because of AAUW. They have great resources on it if you want to find out more.

June 23 was the fortieth anniversary of Title IX. Do you know what it says? I found it a bit surprising so I'll copy it in here for you to read. In 1972, Congress stated that, "No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving federal financial assistance." Where does it say, "In atletics"? Nowhere. Yet that's the place where most of the effects have been felt. I love watching the Olympic Trials and will enjoy the London Summer Games later this summer too. Women like Missy Franklin and Natalie Coughlin, outstanding swimmers, inspire me. Their careers were helped immeasurably by Titile IX. Women's athletic participation is estimated to have increased tenfold over the period since Title IX's passage.

But why aren't we saying to Harvard, "Fifteen percent of women among physical sciences and mathematics professors is unacceptable. Do you want to keep getting those big NIH and NSF grants? Well, then, do something about it!" I admit I'm partisan, but nothing about Title IX would prevent its being used in that way EXCEPT the will of he government to enforce that interpretation. We elect those guys so let's get out our pens and ask for this to be done.

Okay, down from soapbox.

cheers,
Laura

Comments
3  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

Dear Laura,
Yes, you're right about how chicken-hearted college and university administrators are with regard to lawyers' opinions. We always need to ask what the opinion is based on because a lot of the time, it's a guess. The case has been filed but not adjudicated, or therei's a rumor that a case will be filed, and everyone runs to hide. We don't protect affirmative action worth squat if you ask me. I might use bad language if I keep talking about this--talk about soap boxes!
BP

Community

Hi Suze,
Yes, I know from when I was in college administration that one lawsuit lost, or sometimes even one filed, can change behavior all over the country. Someone needs to grab the flag and go forth to file suit. Who will it be?
cheers,
Laura

Community

Hi Laura,

Good rant! I believe AAUW is more or less on the same page with you on this one. Maybe they wouldn't use quite such an iron fist at first, but to apply Title IX to STEM, yes they would!

Personally, I think things will not move fast unless the lawyers get involved. Winning even one lawsuit about this could really put grease under the wheels.

SKR

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback