Women in Science
Moderated by  Laura Hoopes
Posted on: March 16, 2012
  |  
Posted By: Laura Hoopes

Cool Biology Activities for Girls

Aa Aa Aa

Dear Friends of Women in Science,

I want to tell you about a book. Truth in advertising: I was an advisor for the science involved. But I am enthusiastic about the concept and decided I should still mention it on this forum.

Kristi Lew wrote this book, Cool Biology Activities for Girls, published by Snap books/Capstone Publishers, to encourage girls to play around with science-related activities. Illustrated with lots of photos of girls doing the activities, the book has 11 activities and a glossary. In each activity, there is a list of materials she'll need, a step-by-step guide to what to do, and a section called "insider info" that unfolds the science behind the ooh-aah happenings the girl has just seen.

For example, there's a unit on enzyme action, using canned and fresh pineapple and gelatin. There's an enzyme in the fresh pineapple that breaks down the gelatin, thus leading to the surprising difference the girl will see. There's a balloon activity measuring lung capacity, and lots of other experiments, packaged in an engaging way, but still full of good science concepts. If you know young girls who ask for chemistry sets, consider giving them books like this as well!

If you know of other resources for budding girls in science, let us know in the comments section. It's good to share the knowledge!

Best,
Laura

Comments
3  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

Hi Laura,

I don't know if you know, but there's also a Cool Physics Activities for Girls book, and it's also very good. I got one for Amanda, and she loves it. I have to try the biology one now, but thought some of your readers might like the physics one too.

DJ

Community

Hi Laura,
I like to browse at the annual meetings, but they seem to bring fewer and fewer books that aren't straight clinical ones these days. I think we should share info like this, otherwise we could miss good things for our girls!
ERK

Community

Hi Laura,

I have to go to a bookstore or a toy store at holiday time to look; I never see anything about this type of gift in my daily life. Thanks for putting in something about it, though. I'll order one for Kimiko.

MR

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback