Women in Science
Moderated by  Laura Hoopes
Posted on: October 16, 2012
  |  
Posted By: Laura Hoopes

Nobel Awards in Sciences Go to Men

Aa Aa Aa

Dear friends of women in science,

In 2008, Francoise Barre-Sinoussi among others received the Nobel prize, for discovery of HIV. In 2009, two women were awarded Nobel prizes in Physiology and Medicine, Carol Greider and Elizabeth Blackburn, along with Jack Sjostak, for telomerase studies. Also, Ada Yonath, along with Tom Steitz and Venkatraman Ramakrishnan, was recognized in Chemistry for analysis of ribosome structure.

Three women laureates in science! Many asked, is this the turning point? From now on, will we routinely see women among those honored by the Nobel awards selectors?

In 2012, six awardees were selected in Chemistry, Physics, and Physiology/Medicine. Physics awards go to Serge Haroche and David J. Wineland. Chemistry awards go to Robert J. Lefkowitz and Brian K. Kobilka. Physiology and Medicine awards go to Sir John B. Gurdon and Shinya Yamanaka. No women. But what about the awards between 2009 and today? None.

I am not saying that I feel the awardees are unworthy; they are clearly deserving. I am saying the tide has not turned; I don't feel that events after 2009 support the idea that women now have a level playing field re selection for the Nobel Prize in sciences.

What do you think?

cheers,

LAURA