Women in Science
Moderated by  Laura Hoopes
Posted on: November 27, 2011
  |  
Posted By: Laura Hoopes

Sisterhood in Science at Harvard

Aa Aa Aa
Dear Friends of Women in Science,

The NIH women's update newsletter cited a very interesting article in the Harvard Crimson and Julie R. Barzilay, the editor, has given us a guest posting on how women in science reach out to help each other at Harvard. See below.
Guest posting from Julie R. Barzilay. Harvard Class of 2013, Science Editor, The Harvard Crimson, History of Science Concentrator, English Secondary.
Last spring, a Harvard undergraduate studying gender paradigms in neuroscience research helped found a new club that fosters enthusiasm about science in young girls. A few months later, two alumni launched a magazine, WISE Words (recently renamed The Scientista Foundation), devoted to spreading the word about females in science-both at Harvard and in the wider world. These organizations join a growing assortment of groups, forums, and resources that strive to motivate and support girls in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics fields at Harvard. In my recent article in The Harvard Crimson, I describe these expanding communities-and the inspiring individuals behind them: http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2011/9/30/science-women-girls-gillisbuck/

In the comments, compare these programs with what you see at your industry, government, or academic site of work.
cheers,
Laura
Comments
5  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

Hi Julie and Laura,
What a heartening story! I wonder if the administration has supported these efforts or seems supportive in general? I know Harvard has a woman president now, and hope that matters!
best,
MKS

Community

Dear Laura,
I'm reminded of that lovely postdoc guest forum by Kate, who wanted to have us establish a sisterhood of science. Probably that's what you were thinking of when you entitled this posting that way. Yes, why shouldn't each one feed it forward? Love the idea!
best,
FI

Community

Hi Postdoc Cat,

I think today's students do indeed want to think up and design the project, not just help some existing organization. I'll be interested to see if Julie agrees that's happening at Harvard. They tell me here that they were asked to do public service in jr high or high school, and they've been there/done that. Too much red tape, not enough effect comes from working through existing organizations. They could be right.

cheers,
FBP

Community

Hi Julie,
I hope you'll see this. I am wondering if you know how easy or hard it was to get these activities started. Do Harvard women in science feel impelled to help, or do they feel mostly stressed out and overworked? I hear a lot of complaints from all science students that the labs eat their lives and no, they can't do any activities such as Tri Beta or Biology Club, which want to do things to help women in science but can't get cooperative students. Is it working because it's their own pet project?
best,
Postdoc Cat

Community

Hi Laura,
It's inspiring to see these intelligent young women take on helping those who follow. I love hearing about this kind of activity. Thanks,
CRN

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback