Women in Science
Moderated by  Laura Hoopes
Posted on: July 15, 2011
  |  
Posted By: Laura Hoopes

Startup package from hell engenders lawsuit

Aa Aa Aa

Hi friends of women in science,

Susan Forsburg recently alerted me to an interesting lawsuit about startup promises that were not fuliflled, as described in an article in Science here. Kelly Suter was recruited to University of Texas, San Antonio to set up her neuroscience laboratory there. She received a $230,000 startup support offer and brought nearly $1 million in NIH grants with her from University of Louisville. Suter's work on neurons that govern sexual reproduction via oscillating releases of a hormone is very exacting and very expensive. She had not asked for a padded startup account, but for what she absolutely needed right away to get her laboratory up and running. In June, 2006, she accepted the position and headed south.

However, as the article states, "her start-up funds were diverted and her research plans delayed. Last summer, after exhausting other options, Suter hit bottom: She sued the university and six UTSA administrators and professors. She claims in her suit that the university failed to honor its commitment to support her research in a timely fashion and that two other male faculty members who arrived after her received money earmarked for her start-up package."

She is demanding an apology for a series of financial mismanagements that almost resulted in her losing her federal funding due to lack of productivity. But the UT is not prepared to offer any apology for their actions. Although feelings of tension persist with her male colleagues, Kelly has received tenure and her latest grant proposals for millions of federal dollars were approved and funded. However she says, "The last 5 years of my life have been a nightmare. And I will not in any way give the impression that this is acceptable."

Have a look at the details in the article. Have you ever had similar experiences, or to the contrary, has your startup package worked out particularly well? Take our poll and comment below.

Cheers,
Laura

Comments
9  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

Buy Passport,Driver License,Age & ID Card,Visa: Website: https://realfakedocky.wordpress.com/

Buy high quality Real Passports, Visas, Driver's License ,ID CARDS, Marriage certificates, Diplomas, Birth Certificates, Credit cards, Utility bills, Social Security cards, Resident permits, Death certificates, Seaman cards, e.t.c

We are a team of highly experienced and sophisticated IT professionals with many years of experience in producing high quality documents of all categories.

We offer original high quality real and not real passports, driver driving, ID cards, stamps, birth certificates, diplomas, e.t.c for almost all countries in the world mostly countries like: US, AustrAalia, Belgium, Brazil, Norway, Canada, Italy, Finland, France, Germany, Israel, Mexico, Netherlands, South Africa, Spain, United Kingdom, e.t.c

This list is not complete.

For additional information and to place your order, just contact us by email, skype or phone.

email: (genuinedockies201@gmail.com)

whatsapp ....+237670725929

Skype Id: lugert2

Web Site: https://realfakedocky.wordpress.com/

Do not hesitate to contact us by email or call at any time and in any
discretion.

TOPICS:

BUY REAL AND Not-Real PASSPORTS:

Buy real and Not-Real USA passports
Buy real and Not-Real Australian passports
Buy real and Not-Real Belgian passports
Buy real and Not-Real Brazilian passports
Buy real and Not-Real Canadian passports
Buy real and not real French passports
Buy real and not real New Zealand passports
Buy real and not real German passports
Buy real and not real Dutch (Netherlands) passports
Buy real and not real Israeli passports
Buy real and not real UK (United Kingdom) passports
Buy real and not real Spanish passports
Buy real and not real Mexican passports
Buy real and not real South African passports
Buy real and not real Swiss (Switzerland) passports
Buy real and not real Chinese passports
Buy real and not real Austrian passports
Buy real and not real Japanese passports
Buy real and not real Ukrainian passports
Buy real and not real Cambodian passports
Buy real and not real Romanian passports
Buy real and not real Polish passports
Buy real and not real Bulgarian passports
Buy real and not real Moroccan passports
Buy real and not real Cyprus passports
Buy real and not real Norwegian passports
Buy real and not real Portuguese passports
Buy real and not real Lithuanian passports
Buy real and not real Russian passports
Buy real and not real Hungarian passports
Buy real and not real Brazilian passports
Buy real and not real Italian passports
Buy real and not real Jamaican passports
Buy real and not real South Korean passport
Buy real and not real Croatian passports
Buy real and not real Danish passports
Buy real and not real Malta passports
Buy real and not real Swedish passports

BUY REAL AND Not Real DRIVING LICENCE

Buy real and not real USA driver's license
Buy real and not real New Zealand driver's license
Buy real and not real German driver's license
Buy real and not real Dutch (Netherlands) driver's license
Buy real and not real Israeli driver's license
Buy real and not real UK (United Kingdom) driver's license
Buy real and not real Spanish driver's license
Buy real and not real Mexican driver's license
Buy real and not real South African driver's license
Buy real and not real Swiss (Switzerland) driver's license
Buy real and not real Chinese driver's license
Buy real and not real Austrian driver's license
Buy real and not real Japanese driver's license
Buy real and not real Ukrainian driver's license
Buy real and not real Cambodian driver's license
Buy real and not real Romanian driver's license
Buy real and not real Polish driver's license
Buy real and not real Bulgarian driver's license
Buy real and not real Moroccan driver's license
Buy real and not real Cyprus driver's license
Buy real and not real Norwegian driver's license
Buy real and not real Portuguese driver's license
Buy real and not real Lithuanian driver's license
Buy real and not real Russian driver's license
Buy real and not real Hungarian driver's license
Buy real and not real Brazilian driver's license
Buy real and not real Italian driver's license
Buy real and not real Jamaican driver's license
Buy real and not real South Korean driver's license
Buy real and not real Croatian driver's license
Buy real and not real Danish driver's license
Buy real and not real Malta driver's license
Buy real and not real Swedish driver's license

email: (genuinedockies201@gmail.com)

whatsapp ....+237670725929

Skype Id: lugert2

https://realfakedocky.wordpress.com/

Do not hesitate to contact us by email or call at any time and in any
discretion.

Community

Laura is precisely right in her comments regarding the result I am hoping for with my lawsuit. This should never happen again, to any one, male or female. As you might imagine, simply speaking up, refusing to sit with my hands folded in my lap and smiling while my investment in my professional life was whittled away, has had its consequences here, even long before I filed the lawsuit. The reality of the situation is simple: they brought me here with an offer that they already knew was not consistent with their actual plan and that 2 Federal grants would be tranferred based on their representations.

Community

Thanks for bringing this to our attention Laura (and Susan)! Also interesting to read the comments, as I'll soon be giving a workshop for senior postdocs with an exercise on negotiating various details after receiving an academic job offer...

Community

Hi Postdoc Girl,
Don't hold back. If they make you an offer they really want you; it's your best chance to get what you need. I've actually seen chairmen compare the top three candidates' startup requests and argue that the one with the biggest wish list should be hired because he was the most ambitious in research and would be most anxious to get out there and get grants, students, etc. So a bit of reticence might work against you here.
CR

Community

Wow, Maritsa, I will take your sad story to heart and ask everyone about that when I'm out on my interviews. I'm a bit afraid in this down job market to push too hard though. Don't want to price myself out of the market.

Community

I think I got the smallest startup offer ever, and I feel pretty stupid that I didn't even question it until I got here and the guys asked me what I got and then laughed at me. I think I need to take a workshop in negotiation. Bad feelings, I just hope a woman doing a job search now will read this and ask a few questions about the usual size of startup from her prospective colleagues, not just the dept. chair who could tell a few fibs to save money. Ugh!

Community

It sounds to me like Suter is hoping to leave behind a better climate, one that operates more honestly, for women who come into the department later on. Good for her. She is fine, tenured with millions in grant money, but the suit is about fixing the pitfall that almost stopped her in spite of how good she was. It could trap the next person. The article says she was within three months of running out of grant money when she got her NIH renewal. Pretty tight timing!
cheers,
Laura

Community

I think Suter has reason to complain, too. The guy in the article, Wilson, who said she needed to get over it, only got $10k startup in 2000, which sounds to me like he didn't 'play the game' well. Anyway, it's wonderful that she has tenure and a big new grant now. I thought the university's quote was lame, that there are always problems with start up packages. I haven't heard of problems like that at my university, but maybe I'm just out of the loop.

Community

My department went to bat for me and got me the biggest startup package we've ever had. And they delivered it all. So I am very happy with mine. Don't blame her for suing though. It sounds like the Uni thought she had infinite time when her clock at NIH was running out.

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback