Women in Science
Other Topics
« Prev Next »
Women in Science
Moderated by  Laura Hoopes
Posted on: May 19, 2010
  |  
Posted By: Ilona Miko

From the AAUW Report on Women in Science - Why So Few?

Aa Aa Aa

Not surprisingly, the new report from the American Association of University Women (AAUW) on Women in Science is called Why So Few? One of my friends just brought this report to my attention and pointed out that women often SEE problems in how women are treated in science, and they learn about stereotype threat, etc, but they don't necesarily teach about these issues or mention them in their science classes.  This new AAUW report advocates speaking up in classes about how women and minorities can be overlooked and sidetracked, and argues that explicitly addressing these topics will help both women and men to address the problem.  

My friend wondered if anyone had studied effects of including these topics in classes.  I'd love to know too.  I really like this idea, but for some reason, I've never tried it myself.  Have some of you tried discussing the ways women and/or minorities can be pushed aside in science in your classes?  How has it worked, if you did? 

A.  I've taught about feminism and discrimination in my classes and think it decreases the problems

B. I've taught about feminism and discrimination but don't know of any specific effects

C. I haven't tried it but would like to

D. I think it's a bad idea, likely to backfire

Comments
6  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

I just saw FBP's comment and wanted to respond that there aren't any data I know of (and I read a lot about these issues) that would suggest talking about stereotype threat would increase the likelihood that people would use it to intimidate women, if that's what you meant. The fact that it works to reduce the incidence of this serious problem is why AAUW wanted to get their report out in wide distribution.

Community

I never taught to this topic except as a guest for high school classes. The most effective method I found to teach men (and women) about sterotype threat is to hold a symposium/workshop with 90%+ women. (I attended one of these through an NSF ADVANCE grant for junior women leaders). Within one hour of being in the majority and having a voice, the women were in charge and loud! I loved it. I could see the two men who attended as speakers got a whole new perspective on women scientists. There were no quiet mice at that conference. I still look back on it as a time when I realized how the men must feel when they go to EVERY conference.

Community

I got an email from a friend saying that she teaches classes with less than 25% white males, and she wants to make the others aware of stereotype threat because research shows forewarned is forearmed. I like that approach. She also said she wanted to write and market a book of advice for such college students in science, but could not find a publisher. If you're a publisher out there reading this and you are interested, let me know and I'll put you in touch with her. I think such a book is a GREAT idea, I'd bet it would be a best-seller. Think how many students take introductory biology each year and fail to continue...a big market!
cheers
Laura

Community

Ah, no, please don't do it. I think talking about this stuff just makes it more likely people will do it, or will lean on this kind of explanation when they don't score well because they didn't really study. Don't make women take on the culture of victimhood. I really hate that. We can stand on our own. No need for special accomodations. FBP

Community

I'd like to know more about the context when people use discrimination as the basis of lecture or lab. Maybe I'm just un-creative, but I can't think how to do it without losing content.

Community

I do teach about stereotype threat, because a lot of my students will become teachers. I think a lot of people don't understand it. I liked your post on it, Laura, but I am still looking for a good, clear one-sentence description of stereotype threat. The best way I can teach about it is by a small simulation in lab; after that, people look at the results and get it. "Of course, when we don' think we can do it, we can't!" was what one of my female students commented. I'm looking for a way to do a class activity that will give the male students this aha! moment. FP

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback