Women in Science
Moderated by  Laura Hoopes
Posted on: August 24, 2011
  |  
Posted By: Laura Hoopes

Marcia McNutt's Take on Leadership

Aa Aa Aa

Dear friends of women in science,

Marcia McNutt is the first female head of the US Geological Survey. Recently she made a video under the auspices of the Washington Post, that you can view here. You will find a series of these videos, mostly not of scientists, but of women in leadership positions, all worth listening to. I've only known a few female geologists, and my father's first job was with USGS, so I found it quite interesting.
McNutt talks about how being the first female whatever (the category I call FFs) is not so important compared to the lesson that she wants to emphasize, that of the role of integrity in science. She feels that being introduced as FF means that X chromosomes are the only qualification that was sought, not that she had a full resume that got her the position.
She does deplore how long it took the USGS to choose it's FF head, however, considering the large number of good female scientists employed by USGS.
She points out scientists will follow people they respect, and that the leader must have "the credentials, track record, and integrity to demand their respect. You have to earn the respect." And it's fragile. If a young scientist does something to destroy that reputation of integrity, it cannot be regained.
What you you think, is she right to emphasize integrity over being the FF?
cheers,
Laura
Comments
3  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

How interesting! In biology it's pretty rare to find someone taking on a FF today, so we need to be reminded that there are still fields in physical sciences where these roles have been all-male preserves up to nearly today!

I like that she went to an all-girls high school, but I still have some doubts about the vaunted benefits of separation of sexes. Reminds me of separate but equal ed for black and whites before Brown vs Board of Education case ruled out segregation in the South.

Community

I agree with Sally. We don't have an awful lot of women in geology. It's not all that surprising that it took this long for one to rise to the top. But there's no percentage in denying your breakthrough status, in my opinion. She should speak out as she is doing, and glory in being able to show people a first rate woman geologist.

Community

There really are not that many women in geology. It's not hard to get into a ladies room at a geology meeting! But there are some, and some have been around for many years. McNutt is very good and should be proud of herself as a geologist, not just as a FF as you call them. But it takes something special (ovaries?) to take on being the FF. You must be prepared for people to expect male behavior of their leader, since that's all they ever have encountered before.

BTW I heard she went to an all female high school and was turned on to science there.

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback