Women in Science
Moderated by  Laura Hoopes
Posted on: February 17, 2011
  |  
Posted By: Christianne Corbett

AAUW Joins Women in Science Forum

Aa Aa Aa

Hello!

I am very happy to be joining Nature Education's Women in Science forum, representing the American Association of University Women (AAUW). Starting this month, AAUW will be contributing to the Women in Science forum on a regular basis. Laura will continue to post most of the time, but at the end of every month, during "AAUW week," I will post about the research findings my co-authors and I describe in Why So Few? Women in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics. Each of the 10 chapters in Why So Few? will provide the theme for our discussions during AAUW week each month. We'll often ask, what are the data that support claims and shape policies or beliefs?

Our discussion topics will include

• Background information, including cognitive differences between men and women, gender differences in interest in STEM, and workplace environment
  • Beliefs about intelligence
  • Stereotype threat
  • Self-assessment
  • Spatial skills
  • The college student experience
  • University and college faculty
  • Implicit bias
  • Bias against women in "male" positions
  • Recommendations for change

Many of you are already familiar with these topics, and some of them have been discussed here already by Laura and others. Because each of these areas is chock-full of interesting research, though, I'm sure we'll have plenty to talk about.

Looking forward to it all. Until next week,

Christianne Corbett
AAUW Senior Researcher

Comments
4  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

Thanks all. You've all created a really dynamic forum here, and I'm looking forward to being a part of it!

Community

Welcome, Christi! It's great to add a new voice here. I look forward to all the data you have at your fingertips, and your particular perspective from AAUW.

Community

As an adult AAUW scholarship recipient, and a STEM Ohio science scholarship recipient, I am eager to absorb all knowledge from other women here.
I look forward to reading all postings.

Community

Dear Christianne,
Welcome! I've been looking forward to your postings and I'm sure the readers will find them very interesting. I'd also like to let you readers know that if you search Scitable for Women in Science, you'll find the excellent AAUW report co-written by Christianne posted on our site, so you can read it for yourself. It's also available at AAUW's own site. It's really a benefit for all women scientists to have AAUW take such a pro-active interest in the well-being of women in science. And as I mentioned earlier, they're preparing for pay equity day in April, a big help to all working women''s advocates.
cheers,
Laura Hoopes

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback