Women in Science
Moderated by  Laura Hoopes
Posted on: September 21, 2012
  |  
Posted By: Laura Hoopes

Yale Study Shows Bias Against Women Still a Factor

Aa Aa Aa

Dear friends of women in science,

I received notice of the new Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences publication on bias from both Phoebe Lostroh and Sonia Pressman Fuentes. It was covered by Inside Higher Education here. Scott Jaschik wrote describing the study as follows.
The authors, who included Jo Handelsman, recently transplanted to Yale from Wisconsin, sent out descriptions of potential lab managers to 127 faculty members in chemistry, biology, and physics at all ranks and including both genders, asking them to provide evaluations and information that would help mentor the students as to their applications; faculty were to rate the applicants and provide a suggested starting salary.The mythical applicants had identical credentials, including 2 publicaitons, and were given either a male or a female name as the only difference between them.
Jaschik notes that "The scientists evaluating these applications (which were identical in every way except the gender of the "submitter") rated the male student more competent, more likely to be hired, deserving of a better salary, and worth spending more time mentoring." The ratings were on a five-point sclae. Male faculty rated the competence of the candidate with the male name as 4.01 and the female 3.33, while female faculty rated the male 4.10 and the female 3.32. Differences were statistically significant. Also, the salaries recommended favored the "male" candidates. Male scientists would offer an average of $30,520 to the male student but $27,000 to the female student. Similar significant salary gaps were found for female scientists.
Do these gaps matter according to the authors? Jaschik quotes them as saying, "...subtle gender bias is important to address because it could translate into large real-world disadvantages in the judgment and treatment of female science students." He also quoted their opinion about why they found these persistent differences, "The fact that faculty members' bias was independent of their gender, scientific discipline, age and tenure status suggests that it is likely unintentional, generated from widespread cultural stereotypes rather than a conscious effort to harm women."
Are you surprised to see that such rating differences and salary discrepancies still persist? How might we change this very subtle discrimination?
cheers,
Laura
Comments
5  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

Nature Journal's Editorial Staff own up to their own sexism outright--see their self reflection (and some stats) here:

http://www.nature.com/news/nature-s-sexism-1.11850

Community

Laura

The results of this study are frustrating, and concerning, but hardly surprising. I think these studies need to continue; too much of the general populace thinks that discrimination issues in STEM fields have been solved.

I can't count the number of times I've argued with male scientists on this subject. They continue to trot out the success of women in biology, and in numbers of undergraduate degrees, but neglect the rest of the problem. Furthermore, discrimination isn't limited to academia; it exists in industry as well.

Marian

Community

Hi Elsa and Cathy,

I know, it's unfair that we have to keep repeating these experiments. But on the other side, I do think someday it will be better and then old data will be wrong. Just not yet!

cheers,
Laura

Community

Dear Laura,

I have to agree with Elsa V, it's a shame how people dismiss data if it's not done within the past year or two, say the whole thing has been cleared up since then. Well, no, it hasn't. So glad a few people are still committed to testing it out to see if attitudes are really all fair and square and the playing field is not marked "welcome (men)!"

CKM

Community

Hi Laura,

I'm glad someone has done a study like this now, because Ceci and Williams dismiss a lot of the papers I cite in my women in science course as "out of date" and not applying to today's situation. I didn't think that was true, but it's hard to get people to study things similar to earlier studies because they prefer to study new questions.

ERV

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback