Women in Science
Moderated by  Laura Hoopes
Posted on: October 8, 2012
  |  
Posted By: Laura Hoopes

Goodbye to Female Science Professor?

Aa Aa Aa

Dear Friends of Women in Science:

The blog of Female Science Professor was one of those I chose to feature on my very first posting on this forum, for a very good reason. Academic women in physical sciences find her perceptions and insights about life in academia to be both amusing and on-target. Her thoughts are useful and productive of a lot of fellow-feeling. It's great for a woman academic in chemistry, physics, astronomy, engineering, CS, math, etc to feel like she shares experience types with at least one other person, that she is not alone in her perceptions.

FSP has been blogging for six years here and recently, she had this to say. "So, I have been writing this FSP blog for 6 years now and have decided that it should change, and perhaps end, but I am too cowardly to do this in a dramatic, sudden way. Why am I considering departing from the blogosphere, decreasing my presence, or at very least changing my blog-focus or format? I am certainly not bored with blogging (or with you, commenters and even lurkers) and I have not run out of things to say (or cat photos to share), but there comes a point in the life of semi-anonymous bloggers -- or, at least, this one -- when it isn't really right or fair to the people in my immediate vicinity for me to continue this type of blog."

I will say, after a much shorter run of blogging myself, that writing several blogs a week can become stressful after a while. I have appreciated all of the guest blogs some of you have agreed to write! But FSP has a unique and valuable perspective that will be missing from the ether if she really stops. If she just writes less frequently, or perhaps from one or two different blog locations, that will be easier to accept. Those of you who really value the whole spectrum of her advice might want to check out her book of collected blog entries called Academeology, available through Lulu.com. She has been through every kind of experience from raising a daughter to kudoes that rang untrue to put-downs to insistence that her husband had published her papers. She reflects on interactions with students, prospective students, fellow faculty members, and administrators. Even elements of office design come into her purview. If you haven't looked at her blog, do check it out. Enjoy it while you can!

cheers,
Laura

Comments
6  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

I understand why she wants to stop, but she will be sorely missed! I just bought her book to pass on to a friend who works at JPL. My friend is the only woman physicist in a group of 30 men. And not too surprisingly has a bad case of the imposter syndrome as a result of all the posturing that goes on there. I'm hoping the book helps her see that is not only common but something she can manage!

Helen

Community

Hi Connie,
Yes, she and several others of the important, widely read women in science bloggers say that anonymity is vital to them in that role. People would react against them in their "real" lives if their identities became known. I know I'm in a stronger position because I'm near the end of my career, in phased retirement. But even I have had some semi irrational reactions from a few men about being a feminist radical. I surely think women deserve equal opportunities and equal pay and I won't sit down and shut up about it, but I am also perhaps more of a negotiator than some of my favorite feminist colleagues would like.
cheers,
Laura

Community

Dear Laura,

I am sad, but when I read her blog, she does seem to be still posting. Maybe it's more about where...sounds like she likes Chronicle, etc. I hope she will continue to be a voice for women in science.

Why do you think she's anonymous? Is that an important part of her voice?

CRL

Community

Dear Laura,

I like Female Science Professor's blog, but she posts pretty long entries most of the time. I have had to quit reading to go to class or meet a student sometimes and then never gotten back to the posting. It's so unusual to hear from a physical science prof who is married and has a kid, though. Valuable!

MKA

Community

Hi Benita,
Nice to hear from you! I enjoy her too, but I seem to read her in big gulps, then refrain for a while. So if she goes slow, posts less often, it would not bother me. But then, I'm in life sciences where women are more common. Thanks for ordering both books!
cheers,
Laura

Community

Oh no! I love her blog. Don't see it as often as I should. I'm going to see if I can order her book, and get a copy for the library too. And while I'm at it, I'll get the library to order yours too, Laura!
bye,
BJR

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback