Women in Science
Moderated by  Laura Hoopes
Posted on: September 11, 2010
  |  
Posted By: Laura Hoopes

Women in science against feminism?

Aa Aa Aa
Dear friends,
I recently went to a talk about equal salaries in science where the speaker told us that most women in STEM fields don't see themselves as feminists and are profoundly uncomfortable with any suggestion that they, as women, get together to fight pay injustice or to address any other problems they have.  And yet, women have won lawsuits to be treated fairly, both in STEM fields and in society at large.  Why should lawsuits be more "okay" than banding together with other women to ask for what should be ours?  Is it the image of a feminist that deters us from doing that? 

What do you think:

A.  Yes, I don't want to be thought of as like that bra-burning angry type of woman.  I collaborate with men who would see that as a threat and push me away.

B.  I like some people who call themselves feminists, but my male colleagues hate that idea and that word so it's safer for me to stay away from all-women groups working on issues.

C. I am comfortable being called a feminist and a STEM woman, I don't think those old negative concepts about feminists have much power any more. 
Comments
12  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

Hi SciFem,
Yes, I think you're right about Karen. Also I think Evelyn Fox-Keller was in physics long ago. Probably there are more examples of that.
cheers,
Laura

Community

There are quite a few women in gender studies who started out in sciences, or who still do both. I'm thinking of Karen Barad, for example, I believe she was in physics. Probably gender studies is more hospitable to a feminist, I'd think.

Community

I don't know why, but astronomers seem to be more comfortable with women and feminism than physicists. That's my experience anyway. I'd guess there's a decent linear correlation between frequency of women and comfort with feminism.

Community

Hi computer barbie (did you see our earlier posting on the doll?)
I am sorry to hear that, but it may help to explain why the trend is for fewer women in comp sci than used to be produced. Friendly environments go a long way to help women want to stick around.
cheers,
Laura

Community

I have to say men in CS tend to be slow to welcome feminists too. I find more sympathy among math and statistics profs than Comp Sci men.

Community

It might be fields too. Maybe in bio men are more OK with feminism. Men in Chemistry tend to see it as a negative commentary on them as colleagues and have their feelings hurt, then get mad.

Community

Interesting differences I see in these responses. Some women feel intense pressure to keep "feminism" off the table, while others teach in Women's Studies. Is this big versus small science? Or some other boundary?
cheers,
Laura

Community

C I even teach for Women's Studies at times, and no one seems to even notice, much less pressure me to stop. I have called myself a feminist for years with no problem.

Community

A I don't really think that men in science will tolerate any whiff of the word feminism. Up to a point, they do tolerate fair-treatment advocacy, and some even go out of their way to help women in science but they don't want confrontation. In my experience, even other women shun women who seem anti-men.

Community

Hi Make Noise and R1 Woman,
I think some kind of solidarity among women in science would help. I am completely comfortable with calling it feminism, but I don't mean "attacking men" by that. If it takes a name change to get rid of that connotation, I would be OK with that. But I'd think it was a pity, given all the good things feminists have done (see Sonia Pressman Fuentes' postings for more details) to help women in science and in general.
cheers,
Laura

Community

Yes, this denouncing of feminism is true in STEM fields and even outside of STEM fields. The word feminist hasn't worn well over the decades, and seems outshadowed by outrageous and extreme approaches to gaining equality for women. (Also, be we should be wary of our rare male colleagues who also claim to be feminists--their mouths are often operating quite separately from their actions and behavior.) Too bad the word has so many negative connotations in the newly established/upcoming generation of women scientists, even though what many of us professional women advocate right now is actually feminism. I think we have become to complacent, reaping the rewards of modest but significant gains of the feminist movement. I also think that scientists distance themselves far too much from social issues, and feel somehow apart from them. This forum helps to remedy that, for sure! Thanks, Laura Hoopes!

Community

A Denying feminism that you might feel underneath is a strategy to keep from slipping up in front of the men who surround you, who would really dislike any hint of feminism. They would interpret it as anti-men whatever you might feel.

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback