« Prev Next »
Women in Science
Moderated by  Laura Hoopes
Posted on: November 13, 2010
  |  
Posted By: Laura Hoopes

invitation to participate in national discussion

Aa Aa Aa

Sonia Pressman Fuentes sent this to me and asked that I post it. This town hall discussion is a chance to have policy makers hear the needs and concerns of women in Science, Math, Engineering, and Techology.

New Research on Women in STEM, Online Town Hall
Researchers at the University of Arizona have developed a new resource called careerWISE (http://careerwise.asu.edu/ )to support women in science, technology, engineering and mathematics).

Gender is the biggest factor (http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2010/11/08/stem ) of completion for science and engineering doctorates and nearly half of women consider dropping out or earning a lesser degree due to multiple forms of gender bias.

On November 17, former Vice President Al Gore will host a live interactive online town hall titled "Math, Science and the Future of Our Nation." (http://www.connectamillionminds.com/campaigns/cammww/town-hall/).

The conversation will focus on engaging and motivating young Americans in math and science fields, and inspiring success in the global marketplace. Panelists include inventor Dean Kamen, former astronaut Sally Ride, and Jamie Hyneman and Adam Savage of the television show "Mythbusters." Members of the public can submit questions and comments via video, Facebook, or Twitter in real time.

Best,
Sonia Pressman Fuentes
Speaker, Author: Eat First--You Don't Know What They'll Give You, The Adventures of an Immigrant Family and Their Feminist Daughter
e-mail: spfuentes@comcast.net

Comments
5  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

Hi friends,
Sonia alerted me to a mistake in the attribution to University of Arizona above; it should be Arizona State University with the CareerWise site. I also posted the correction in a separate thread. Apologies to you folks at ASU, you have a great site!
cheers,
Laura

Community

Dear Small Science Woman and SciFem XX:

You have interesting questions that the National Science Foundation, NIH, and President Obama's Council on Women and Girls should be able to answer. Why don't you e-mail those organizations and ask and also include your views as you have above?

Best,

Sonia

Community

I've heard that the National Science Foundation is thinking of scrapping the requirement for education/outreach in research grants. I'd like to know if that's true. We've benefitted a lot from such efforts in the past.

For women, I'd like to know what NSF and NIH are doing to support mid-career women? It seems like a lot of funding has focused on graduate school, postdocs, and start up grants but then what? Don't assume the discrimination and difficulty ends if you get tenure.

Community

In general, I'd like to know what are the chances that all science funding will be pruned back to almost nothing to reduce our debt burden?

For women, I'd like to know if the national government is considering lawsuits based on Title IX, as we discussed on this forum some time ago, for women in science, not just sports.

Community

Maybe if you want you could try out comments you're considering or questions you might ask on this Forum. I'd be interested to know what people are thinking about suggesting.
cheers,
Laura

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback