Women in Science
Moderated by  Laura Hoopes
Posted on: May 2, 2012
  |  
Posted By: Laura Hoopes

Looking for a Transition into Academia?

Aa Aa Aa

Dear friends of women in science,

University of Washington's NSF-sponsored ADVANCE program just announced another round of their series of "On Ramps into Academia" conferences, to be held Oct 14-16, 2012.

Thirty women participants will be given a keynote lecture by Maria Klawe, from IBM and now president of Harvey Mudd College (see recent posting on this site) and a series of useful workshops to prepare them for the process of transition into academia. The organizers say that numerous participants in the two previous conferences have put the advice into practice and successfully made the move. You can find a press release about the program here.

The registration is required but is free, and there is available assistance for travel. For more general information, look here. And to submit an application (required), click here.

If you are considering this, I'd love to know what kinds of things are leading you to consider an academic career. Do comment if your time permits (you may do it under a pseudonym).

best,
Laura

Comments
2  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

Dear Laura,

For the first while, all the areas I worked in were my own choice. But with the tight economy, that's not true any longer. I can make myself get interested in them, sort of, but I really would like to work on my own choice of areas.
Michiko

Community

Hi Laura,
I love the family-friendly policies in industry, but I miss teaching. I thought about doing some training here, but I get the sense that my bosses look down on people in the training area and they don't get promoted if they move in that direction. So, I'm thinking seriously about academia.

Lois

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback